• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
maynardgravy

The Big Barry Bonanza Boycott the Bastards Thread

Okay,

So I'm doing my bit by swapping over from Gillette razors to Aldi - Pretty good. I also suffer pretty badly from dandruff. If I stop using anti-dandruff shampoo for a week the bedroom looks like a snow globe soon enough, so I've been using Cien (sp?) from Lidl instread of head and shoulders. No issues so far.

The missus still uses Pantene though, so might need to sneak some other stuff in the bottle. Any suggestions?

How are we all doing on the boycott front - found any decent stuff out there?

Bought 3 pairs of trainers, and 2 pairs of football boots this week (for the kids). For the last 30 years, I have always gone for Nike. Adidas for the trainers and Under Armour for the boots this time round.

I will need to sort out a new razor as i’ve Been using a Mach 3 for years, but only shave once or twice a week and use blades until they are really blunt so it’s not that urgent.

As for Disney, I can pass on most of it quite happily, but will likely still watch some of their Pixar stuff.

Edit to add: boycotting “The Guardian” links is an unqualified pleasure.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

i make a point of buying supermarket own brand soap and washing powder.

I also use a safety razor. The blades are pennies :) 

same here, found personna were best for me after trying a few that either didn't stay sharp or were too sharp

You are getting it all wrong. What you're supposed to do is to share on social media that you are better than everyone else because you bought a progressive inclusive brand. This adds to your portfolio of other virtue signalling works.

"I bought Gilette because it champions blah blah"

(Insert selfie holding up moral progressive product)

Edited by 201p

I am boycotting virgin mobile.

Because they are shite. Really, really shite.

and I've stopped buying Nike for virtue signalling reasons.

and Brewdog but I can't remember why.

Edited by King of Fools
Stupid autocorrect

20 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

I haven't had a haircut or shave since early December, does that count?  Currently doing a good impression of Grizzly Adams.

Are you trying to hide like Jeff Lynne?

jefflynne03.jpg

Any idea what he actually looks like behind that hair and glasses?

Buy everything possible secondhand from clothes to bikes, books, music, furniture, you name it. Saves a fortune which meant the house was fully paid off years back (and saves the planet in my own small way). I dont mind a good rummage to find me some treasures, razorblades might be pushing it a bit mind...

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

A boycott against the diversion of people's minimal incomes into the pockets of advertisers and brand consultants by rejecting the very basis of the brand.

Brands arose in Victorian times when adulteration of food and other goods was rife; you never knew what you were getting.  Emmeline Pankhurst, she of the votes for women campaign, was once employed to make fake raspberry seeds out of chips of wood so that they could go into jam to make it look like the more expensive raspberry jam.

Brands in those days meant that if you bought a pound of Tate & Lyle sugar it was going to be all sugar; buy it from the corner shop and it may have been cheaper but it was going to have sand in it.  You paid more for a brand but you recieved something of genuine value for that payment.

In an era of strict food hygiene and labelling laws and trades description acts they are no longer serving any purpose beyond conning the more gullible out of another 40p for their ready made custard or another £40 for their Chinese made trainers because they have a curly tick on the side.

I haven't seen it as a boycott but I deliberately don't buy brands where I am paying a premium for no value; the exception being Sports Direct where Mike Ashley bought a load of old trade names cheaply in order to "brand" his products though without any additional mark up.

When you look at the ingredients list on some branded foods, the unbranded are better IMO. I don't buy this muck but my parents do

Ambrosia Devon custard, 40p/100g

• Skimmed Milk,
  • Buttermilk,
  • Modified Starch,
  • Palm Oil,
  • Whey (Milk),
  • Natural Flavouring,
  • Colours (Curcumin, Annatto),
  • Total Milk content 73%

Sainsbury's custard 23p/100g

• Reconstituted Skimmed Cows' Milk Powder,
  • Water,
  • Sugar,
  • Cream (Cows' Milk),
  • Modified Potato Starch,
  • Skimmed Cows' Milk Powder,
  • Flavouring,
  • Beta-carotene,
  • Paprika Extract.   
Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

i make a point of buying supermarket own brand soap and washing powder.

I also use a safety razor. The blades are pennies :) 

I've tried safety razors too but I always end up shredding my face.  

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

When you look at the ingredients list on some branded foods, the unbranded are better IMO. I don't buy this muck but my parents do

Ambrosia Devon custard

• Skimmed Milk,
  • Buttermilk,
  • Modified Starch,
  • Palm Oil,
  • Whey (Milk),
  • Natural Flavouring,
  • Colours (Curcumin, Annatto),
  • Total Milk content 73%

Sainsbury's custard

• Reconstituted Skimmed Cows' Milk Powder,
  • Water,
  • Sugar,
  • Cream (Cows' Milk),
  • Modified Potato Starch,
  • Skimmed Cows' Milk Powder,
  • Flavouring,
  • Beta-carotene,
  • Paprika Extract.   

It may be that as recently as the 1970s or even 1980s that branded food was genuinely better than the unbranded alternative and that their opting for it was a rational choice.

They continue to buy brands out of habit but surely any person of reasonable intelligence can now see that unless they like a particular recipe of a brand, such as of brown sauce or tomato sauce, then there is no actual advantage in buying a branded good because it is no longer any better; just more expensive.

This isn't brands but supermarkets' Christmas pudding with the winner being Iceland.  It is also very clear from the listing that price does not correlate with quality.

I used to work with somebody who always shopped at Waitrose, despite being the lowest earning in the team, because she thought it was "better".  It of course wasn't; some of their products would have been better than mine from Lidl (where msot peopel shopped), some worse, but most identical.  The only guaranteed differential was that she was going to be paying nearly twice as much.   

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/best-christmas-puddings-supermarket-taste-13737857

6 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've tried safety razors too but I always end up shredding my face.  

I'm going to have a go when my current crop of Lidl two blade (which they ceased to stock about a year ago) expires.

If I don't get on with it then I won't persist.

BBC - unless morbid curiousity gets the better of me. Jury is out on other MSM.

Most adverts on tv. Adverts have to be clever or annoying to be memorable - clever is difficult to do well so most aim to be annoying.

BIC razors. Cheap razors are fine but I always end up with a sliced face after using BIC.

Overpriced / "Named" trainers. Budget makes are fine, a quick test it to make sure you can't press into the sole with your thumb (crap makes have bendy soles).

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

Buy everything possible secondhand from clothes to bikes, books, music, furniture, you name it. Saves a fortune which meant the house was fully paid off years back (and saves the planet in my own small way). I dont mind a good rummage to find me some treasures, razorblades might be pushing it a bit mind...

I've not tried this myself, but I think its plausable that stropping on some jeans can at least extend the life of a disposable.

Just now, The Idiocrat said:

Do you have any actual Indian curry houses near you as opposed to Pakistani/Bangladeshi as most are? Please don't boycott the proper Indian ones, although they're hard to find.

Just now, The Idiocrat said:

Do you have any actual Indian curry houses near you as opposed to Pakistani/Bangladeshi as most are? Please don't boycott the proper Indian ones, although they're hard to find.

Sadly, not as far as I am aware. If so, I would happily go to them. There is a bit of a 'club' in my part of the world where apparently most of the curry houses are owned by the same small group of, I believe, mostly Bangladeshi men.

I don't have any problems with them as individuals. I just decided to boycot them out of personal choice. I am cutting off my nose to spite my face as I do like a good curry but I felt that it was something that I could do and should do.

I've been boycotting every single organisation engaged in Project Fear.  The list is very long.  My bank balance is healthy, and my life is a lot simpler and happier.  Brexit just keeps giving.