• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Gonda

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

Honda are apparently to announce the closure of their Swindon plant from 2022 with 3500 jobs at risk.

I think the sweaty paw prints of the EU/Establishment/Remoaners will be found all over this. They're puling out all the stops now.

That’s fine, we can just take over the plant and make our own cars. 

5 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Good find.

Honda has just announced that it will close one of its traditional assembly plants in Japan as part of a restructuring of its resources. The Sayama plant will be shuttered as of March 2022 as part of the company’s shift in focus towards developing and producing advanced electric vehicles at its new plant in Yorii.

At present, Honda’s Japanese assembly plants are collectively only functioning at 76% of capacity. Vehicles currently being assembled at the Sayama plant (mainly the Honda Odyssey, Accord Hybrid and Acura RLX) will now come out of the Yorii plant (which produces the HR-V, Fit and others), or the Suzuka facility.

My opinion is that these car companies, I read Toyota is doing the same, are making a huge mistake.

They are failing to respond to the market and instead are trying to create it.

Electric cars for personal use are, and I absolutely concede this, the future of personal transport.

As it stands now however electric cars are hugely expensive, have a very limited range, the infrastructure for charging is increidbly patchy, and when you do need to charge that is an additional hour on what may be a relatively short journey.

For now they remain the preserve of wealthy people who can afford to run them as a second car and ignore the enormous depreciation on them because of the imporvement of the tech.  They are not the mass market now and won't be for quite a few years so closing factories that do make the mass market that actually is in demand is going to cost them billions.

I used to hold quite a few Japanese funds on the basis that a country that was so good at industry had to bounce back.  I've sold them now as I think their industry will stay moribund for decades owing to quite appalling management decisions.

Euro sales in 2007 were 311k, in 2018, 136k.

Nice cars, but IMO very expensive for the gap they are trying to fill.

22 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Honda are apparently to announce the closure of their Swindon plant from 2022 with 3500 jobs at risk.

I think the sweaty paw prints of the EU/Establishment/Remoaners will be found all over this. They're puling out all the stops now.

Half of whom want to outlaw cars anyway as they are 'green'!

January 2019 in the teeth of many reports of how diesel engines literally club people to death:

• Petrol 64.1%
  • Diesel 29.1%
  • Electric 6.8%

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6668901/Sales-new-diesel-cars-remain-free-fall-2019.html

And Honda is closing plants that make petrol and desel cars or 93% of the current market O.o

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

January 2019 in the teeth of many reports of how diesel engines literally club people to death:

• Petrol 64.1%
  • Diesel 29.1%
  • Electric 6.8%

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6668901/Sales-new-diesel-cars-remain-free-fall-2019.html

And Honda is closing plants that make petrol and desel cars or 93% of the current market O.o

A bit more digging shows that Honda won't have any car assembly plants in the EU after Swindon closes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants

If the stats from this site are correct then this explains why:

Screenshot from 2019-02-18 09-58-41.png

Edited by TheBlueCat

It always seemed like a redundant location to me. Manufacturing of cars nowadays requires imported engines/metals/parts - idiotic to site that in the middle of the country and not near a port.

Also, Japanese cars are good, but they're not "£30k for a new Toyota Corolla good" as reported last week.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It always seemed like a redundant location to me. Manufacturing of cars nowadays requires imported engines/metals/parts - idiotic to site that in the middle of the country and not near a port.

Also, Japanese cars are good, but they're not "£30k for a new Toyota Corolla good" as reported last week.

I think they've lost their edge myself. It's not that they've got worse but that others have caught up. 10 years ago Hyundai and Kia were a pile of crap, now they're on a par with Honda, Toyota and the rest. I use Zipcar a lot so I get to see a range of different heavily used cars up close and there really isn't any noticeable difference in quality between most of them these days.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

A bit more digging shows that Honda won't have any car assembly plants in the EU after Swindon closes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants

If the stats from this site are correct then this explains why:

Screenshot from 2019-02-18 09-58-41.png

Well, and the fact that the EU have just removed import taxes on Japanese cars.  It is the EU that is directly to blame, not Brexit.

Oh, and wonder where the Jap car manufacturer jobs currently are?

• UK -- 13k
  • France -- 4k
  • Spain -- 5k
  • Hungary -- 5k
  • Poland -- 4k
  • Czech R -- 3k
  • others are <1k

The other point is the trade deal works both ways, with increased exports expected for France and Spain particularly (food, mainly).

So, the EU?  Looks after France, Spain, buggers UK, Hungary, Poland, Czech.   Sounds like an organisation to love.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Well, and the fact that the EU have just removed import taxes on Japanese cars.  It is the EU that is directly to blame, not Brexit.

Oh, and wonder where the Jap car manufacturer jobs currently are?

• UK -- 13k
  • France -- 4k
  • Spain -- 5k
  • Hungary -- 5k
  • Poland -- 4k
  • Czech R -- 3k
  • others are <1k

The other point is the trade deal works both ways, with increased exports expected for France and Spain particularly (food, mainly).

So, the EU?  Looks after France, Spain, buggers UK, Hungary, Poland, Czech.   Sounds like an organisation to love.

That would be another factor. 

Isn't the internet a bugger?

Honda: @RobertBuckland & I have already spoken to the Business Secretary & Honda. They are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021.

I've argued this point before with Remainers.  The new EU-Japan trade deal will fuck the EU car plants.  They'll repatriate large amounts of production back to Japan.  Aren't trade deals a wonderful thing.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Good find.

My opinion is that these car companies, I read Toyota is doing the same, are making a huge mistake.

They are failing to respond to the market and instead are trying to create it.

Electric cars for personal use are, and I absolutely concede this, the future of personal transport.

If self driving cars become a reality I'd imagine a lot of people will no longer require their own cars. As it is people drive from roughly the same residential areas to roughly the same office areas.

It wouldn't be too hard for a self driving car to pick up half a dozen people and drop them off at work. As it is commuting traffic is full of cars with single people travelling at a snails pace going in the same direction.

2 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Another day, another Thread Title of the Year contender. 

I know you would do anything to win the garish icon next to your name for thread title of the year but you are going to burn yourself out. It's only February and I'm sure you will think of a good one later in the year. You need to try get your OCTS under control.

17 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

If self driving cars become a reality I'd imagine a lot of people will no longer require their own cars. As it is people drive from roughly the same residential areas to roughly the same office areas.

It wouldn't be too hard for a self driving car to pick up half a dozen people and drop them off at work. As it is commuting traffic is full of cars with single people travelling at a snails pace going in the same direction.

I really can't see it ever happening.

Commuting may not appear to make sense but this apparently simple solution won't work either.

Most jobs for which people commute distance are better jobs without set hours; this is why car sharing has never taken off. It is inconvenient.

Self-driving cars per previous discussions (not claiming all these ideas as my own) really need a specially designed road network within which to operate.

The protocol of who backs up on single track roads, when to go on the other side to get round a broken down car, roundabouts where if three cars arrive at the same time there is no obvious priory, when to overtake (do self-driving cars even do this?).

The only successful one I've seen was on Top Gear and then it was an off-road vehicle going up a plantless rocky hill in the US.

I see the current expectations of bookable self-driving electric cars replacing private car ownership as being similar to the flying cars that people in the 50s thought they'd be driving in twenty years.

Self driving cars will never be accepted for mass use in our lifetimes.

Electric cars are great but:

- many people love cars and just want a traditional petrol car

- two of my co-workers have electric cars, with a third person in a different department also having one....they all have to organize amongst themselves for access to the one charging point nearby and are just about coping...the infrastructure does seem to even support say 10% of people going electric AFAIK

Edited by JoeDavola

48 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'd rather ride my bike than sit in a car full of potential SJW or other wierdos supplied at random by apple (or similar).

Tinder for commuters?

Imagine saying the wrong thing in idle conversation and crossing the line or looking at the wrong thing on your phone!

All this country needs to do is give up driving monstrous German motors, if people drove a car to suit commuting everyone would be in a Kei Car equivalent like a Citroen C1 or Toyotoa Aygo or Smart Car. 50% more car parking capacity and 50 % shorter tailbacks and 50% less emissions (if not electric).

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

if people drove a car to suit commuting everyone would be in a Kei Car equivalent like a Citroen C1 or Toyotoa Aygo or Smart Car. 50% more car parking capacity and 50 % shorter tailbacks and 50% less emissions (if not electric).

gEuyWFVkjVGi.gif

21 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Self driving cars will never be accepted for mass use in our lifetimes.

Electric cars are great but:

- many people love cars and just want a traditional petrol car

- two of my co-workers have electric cars, with a third person in a different department also having one....they all have to organize amongst themselves for access to the one charging point nearby and are just about coping...the infrastructure does seem to even support say 10% of people going electric AFAIK

The problem of replacing existing generation capacity suggests that if EVs even reached a third of car sales there would be huge electricity supply problems.

I may get one when I stop working as I can charge it for free off the solar panels; which doesn't work now as it's only in the garage at night.

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Tbh in Wales we've been through this already with Japanese tech companies.

Take an initial bung for starting up, run for a while until grants dry up, then fuck off to Czech Republic, and repeat the scam.

To be fair, the Czech Republic's a lot closer to home.

50 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I really can't see it ever happening.

Commuting may not appear to make sense but this apparently simple solution won't work either.

Most jobs for which people commute distance are better jobs without set hours; this is why car sharing has never taken off. It is inconvenient.

Self-driving cars per previous discussions (not claiming all these ideas as my own) really need a specially designed road network within which to operate.

The protocol of who backs up on single track roads, when to go on the other side to get round a broken down car, roundabouts where if three cars arrive at the same time there is no obvious priory, when to overtake (do self-driving cars even do this?).

The only successful one I've seen was on Top Gear and then it was an off-road vehicle going up a plantless rocky hill in the US.

I see the current expectations of bookable self-driving electric cars replacing private car ownership as being similar to the flying cars that people in the 50s thought they'd be driving in twenty years.

Self driving car service that takes multiple commuters and runs on  a dedicated track. Sounds kinda like a train, with a taxi rank at either terminus.

Edited by Hail the Tripod