• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Lincs

Best UK City to live

Currently living in Central London but tempted to move away to somewhere more affordable. I've got a lot of time for London but given the stupidly high cost of living I just can't see it as a viable long term option. Especially as I could probably earn almost as much outside of London doing the same thing; at least at the moment as I'm not very senior within my field. Problem is most cities seem a bit dead and depressing in comparison.

Interested to hear the Dosbods opinion on top places to live. For context I am single, early 30s male, working in Engineering (building services).

So what you want is 'exactly like London, but not actually in that place and a bit cheaper'.  Given this requirement I'd suggest Bristol or Edinburgh.  I don't think either of those are 'best UK city to live', though; I'd suggest that you really need a different requirement.

29 minutes ago, Lincs said:

Currently living in Central London but tempted to move away to somewhere more affordable. I've got a lot of time for London but given the stupidly high cost of living I just can't see it as a viable long term option. Especially as I could probably earn almost as much outside of London doing the same thing; at least at the moment as I'm not very senior within my field. Problem is most cities seem a bit dead and depressing in comparison.

Interested to hear the Dosbods opinion on top places to live. For context I am single, early 30s male, working in Engineering (building services).

Structural engineer?

Sydney Australia or Denver, Colorado. That's just me.  

I know a chap who lives in Glasgow and commutes to Paris. He's not a full engineer but a designer. Works as a contractor on a mega day rate (and has done for a number of years). 

I'd say Bristol. Close enough to London that you can easily get there, but Bristol itself has enough going on to keep you occupied and it is very close to some lovely outdoor spaces. 

I remember looking at London when I graduated in 2007. Frankly the exchange rate was so rubbish I stayed in Hampshire. I do 'get' London and I go there about once a month or so. Fabulous restaurants, theatres and activities but almost everything revolves around variations of getting pissed for the cost of a crap car. Roll in the cost of actually living there and it's a non starter for me.

1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

Could I put a word in for Birmingham?

Because obviously no-one else will. :Sick1:

Birmingham-bin-men-rubbish-856263.jpg

Bin there. 

8 hours ago, Lincs said:

Edinburgh, but don’t tell the REDACTED, or the REDACTED or the REDACTED

Wait, you’re not a REDACTED are you?

Oxford has a lot of the good bits of London: culture, a surplus of intelligent attractive women, not too insular. Also some of the negatives: it is still quite expensive and the road system is  disastrous.

Still it is a fair bit cheaper, and not so far from London you can’t still go there at the drop of a hat.

If you particularly like the beach, Bournemouth is cheap, beautiful in places and quite a good night out.

If you are looking for a copycat London without being London most likely you will be disappointed and  also maybe looking for the wrong thing altogether.

What interests/concerns you in the 20's/30's and single is way different to 40 and married for example. In fact you've probably already changed in terms of emphasis of wanting a place of your own to live that is affordable. Life in the rest of the country is very different, maybe it is necessary not just to change location but be willing to change yourself just as much. There's lots of things that are much more accessible outside of the smoke, but they are different and may not appeal immediately but can be cultivated.

8 hours ago, Adarmo said:

I remember looking at London when I graduated in 2007. Frankly the exchange rate was so rubbish I stayed in Hampshire. I do 'get' London and I go there about once a month or so. Fabulous restaurants, theatres and activities but almost everything revolves around variations of getting pissed for the cost of a crap car. Roll in the cost of actually living there and it's a non starter for me. 

Maybe for you and at that time of your life, but I think London offers a huge amount that is explicitly not that. Just the sheer size of the place means it can offer a range of things to do that very few other places can offer. The issue of course is the place is just too expensive generally.

As for the original question, Bristol has had a mention and certainly would be worth a look for the reasons given, I really like Glasgow myself.

29 minutes ago, gilf said:

Maybe for you and at that time of your life, but I think London offers a huge amount that is explicitly not that. Just the sheer size of the place means it can offer a range of things to do that very few other places can offer. The issue of course is the place is just too expensive generally.

As for the original question, Bristol has had a mention and certainly would be worth a look for the reasons given, I really like Glasgow myself.

Fair, but almost everyone I know who lived there when we were younger is leaving and although cost of living is cited as the biggest reason (among my friends) the boozing culture is often also flagged up there with crap commutes.

There is of course a lot of other stuff to do there, museums, the arts, just walking about etc but these can be done with a day trip or a long weekend. Although I never saw the need to move there I could see the attraction for others but I think increasingly the place has become less accessible. The only people I know who have managed to buy anything there have come from wealthy families and had a big leg up. 

I looked at moving to Bristol about 4 years ago but stayed where I was for another year while I tested a new role at my former company. Then I met someone, blah blah and ended up not moving out there. Just missing the price inflation over there now means the pull is less compelling than it was (as a first time buyer) a few years ago. 

Did London then one day on the tube realised I couldn't do it any more.  Moved to xxxxxx which was great back in the day.  Then travelled the world which was one of the best things I ever did, especially now looking back at my life.  Well before FOM - skills travel.  I met many engineers in all sorts of places, some of the more adventurous were creaming it in and UK house prices were fine on their return.

2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

If you particularly like the beach, Bournemouth is cheap, beautiful in places and quite a good night out.

Erm, they’re either 2 Bournemouth’s or something is wrong here...?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bournemouth-among-least-affordable-places-on-earth-lkvds8n3l

unless you meant Blackpool? That’s definitely cheap, but for many reasons...

Edited by Sugarlips