• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
NewryH

Change your music tastes you sexist pigs

I think it revolves around men requiring music in order to process emotions. Women are far more adept at processing emotions naturally so don't "need" music to the same degree. 

Shove all that into the bell curve and men produce more powerful, emotive, catchy, driven, exciting, heart-breaking music than women.

Also there is the issue of male polarisation of IQ (more idiots, more geniuses). There are simply more genius men than there are genius women.

2 minutes ago, billfunk said:

I think it revolves around men requiring music in order to process emotions. Women are far more adept at processing emotions naturally so don't "need" music to the same degree. 

Shove all that into the bell curve and men produce more powerful, emotive, catchy, driven, exciting, heart-breaking music than women.

Also there is the issue of male polarisation of IQ (more idiots, more geniuses). There are simply more genius men than there are genius women.

I don't think I would claim these "boy bands" are intellectual giants. Their managers do well though.

While they're mass producing plastic harpies that depend on Autotune to hit a note they can fuck right off.

Female talent exists but the record companies don't want to take the chance of promoting anyone that doesn't fit their money spinning formula.

Here's Eva Cassidy (RIP). More talent in her little finger than the shite they foist upon us and only promoted once she was dead.

I find those stats very surprising. Whenever I turn on the radio, which admittedly is not that often, it seems to be all about Katy Perries, Taylor Swifts and Ariana Grandes of this world. Songs I get recommended on YouTube are like 90% female. I honestly believed it was a women-dominated industry, at least as far as singing/performing (with emphasis on performing) is concerned.

1 minute ago, kibuc said:

I find those stats very surprising. Whenever I turn on the radio, which admittedly is not that often, it seems to be all about Katy Perries, Taylor Swifts and Ariana Grandes of this world. Songs I get recommended on YouTube are like 90% female. I honestly believed it was a women-dominated industry, at least as far as singing/performing (with emphasis on performing) is concerned.

There may be disconnect between what is heavily marketed and what is heavily purchased.

4 hours ago, billfunk said:

DOSBODS is a convenient place for idiots to gather. Presumably there's a place online for geniuses to congregate. Where is it though? The Guardian?

Isn't it just like football: more men have a go at it?

Despite my lack of musical talent (I could play okay but only by rote learning, I couldn't improvise) I was in two bands: one at school and one at college.  We were terrible and knew it and each quietly dissolved after a few rehearsals. One was five blokes, one three blokes and a woman.

Most blokes I knew were similar; whether talented or not they had been in at least one band and had also usually played for a few football teams (as opposed to in PE lessons at school).

Most women IME haven't done either* so there is a much smaller pool of women trying in the first place so you would expect proportionate levels of success.

* Why not is a separate issue.

5 hours ago, NewryH said:

Apparently we as consumers are not given enough women to listen to.

Absolutely nothing to do with the quality of music. No sir.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47232677

After my recent switch from BBC R4 to BBC R5, entirely because of R4s descent into the seventh circle of identity politics hell, I had to listen to Laura fucking Bates wittering on about everyday sexism followed by loop reporting of sexist bastards not buying enough women's pop output, liberally sprinkled with sports reports about women I've never heard of and absolutely nobody (except their parents) gives a fuck about.

It's beyond tedious.

Also, whilst discussing this one of the female presenters made a remark about Louis Walsh's "outrageous comments" about girl bands, apparently they cost too much due to hair, make up and clothes so he stopped managing them.

What the fuck was "outrageous" I have no idea, unless its demonstrably untrue, it was a business decision by one of the most successful boy/girl band managers renowned the world over for his flamboyance and love of boy band('s) members.