• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Help with the name of TV show

Recommended Posts

Maybe the collective knowledge can help here please?

It was aired in the 1980s, or 1990s.

It was a military type of programme that followed a new team each show of trainee soldiers. They were given a map and tasks to do in a rural area of England/Wales.

The cameras followed their progress through the show. Some times the teams would get lost, or run out of time.

They wore military uniform and carried SA-80 guns which I remembered distinctively had a yellow adaptor tip to show they were trainee guns.

0as80-035181_10.jpg.91095855b65d2b0c766f0d759a19fbaa.jpgdownload.jpg.1f87100c4c03691a19d993fa1a06ba68.jpg

At the end of the show they had to shoot targets and they were scored on accuracy.

They may also have had to use mortar rounds.

It was not The Kyrpton Factor.

Can anyone remember or name the show?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 201p said:

Maybe the collective knowledge can help here please?

It was aired in the 1980s, or 1990s.

It was a military type of programme that followed a new team each show of trainee soldiers. They were given a map and tasks to do in a rural area of England/Wales.

The cameras followed their progress through the show. Some times the teams would get lost, or run out of time.

They wore military uniform and carried SA-80 guns which I remembered distinctively had a yellow adaptor tip to show they were trainee guns.

0as80-035181_10.jpg.91095855b65d2b0c766f0d759a19fbaa.jpgdownload.jpg.1f87100c4c03691a19d993fa1a06ba68.jpg

At the end of the show they had to shoot targets and they were scored on accuracy.

They may also have had to use mortar rounds.

It was not The Kyrpton Factor.

Can anyone remember or name the show?

Thanks in advance.

That is an SA80 in the photo so the program will be post 1987 if it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you thinking of the Cambrian Patrol that takes place in the Brecon Beacons around Sennybridge and the infantry battle training school?

UK soldiers train there doing the very things you mention plus there is the regular Cambrian Patrol competiton where teams of soldiers from around the world compete doing the same things.

HTV Wales has made various programmes about the above. I can't recall any names. BBC Wales might have made something but this sounds more like a HTV Wales or regional ITV thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 201p said:

Maybe the collective knowledge can help here please?

It was aired in the 1980s, or 1990s.

It was a military type of programme that followed a new team each show of trainee soldiers. They were given a map and tasks to do in a rural area of England/Wales.

The cameras followed their progress through the show. Some times the teams would get lost, or run out of time.

They wore military uniform and carried SA-80 guns which I remembered distinctively had a yellow adaptor tip to show they were trainee guns.

0as80-035181_10.jpg.91095855b65d2b0c766f0d759a19fbaa.jpgdownload.jpg.1f87100c4c03691a19d993fa1a06ba68.jpg

At the end of the show they had to shoot targets and they were scored on accuracy.

They may also have had to use mortar rounds.

It was not The Kyrpton Factor.

Can anyone remember or name the show?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the kind of thing I would have watched but it doesn't even ring the slightest of bells. Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

The yellow adaptor is a Blank Firing Attachment - it is required for the rifle to work properly when using blank rounds.

Presumably a blank round in an open barrel doesn't generate enough back pressure to drive the cocking mechanism ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Presumably a blank round in an open barrel doesn't generate enough back pressure to drive the cocking mechanism ?.

 

It is to disperse the shock wave coming out of the barrel - which can kill and has killed. Some people have been lucky to get away with really nasty wounds after a blank firing weapon has been shot near them or at them at close range. Others have been killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

It is to disperse the shock wave coming out of the barrel - which can kill and has killed. Some people have been lucky to get away with really nasty wounds after a blank firing weapon has been shot near them or at them at close range. Others have been killed.

Mamimal

Proving once again you dont need braisn to be an actooor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

It is to disperse the shock wave coming out of the barrel - which can kill and has killed. Some people have been lucky to get away with really nasty wounds after a blank firing weapon has been shot near them or at them at close range. Others have been killed.

What I was told when using these many moons ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

The yellow adaptor is a Blank Firing Attachment - it is required for the rifle to work properly when using blank rounds.

They are not trainee guns, they are real ones loaded with blanks and all soldiers use them from time to time.

 

XYY

Have you had a lot of trouble with firing blanks then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Mamimal

Proving once again you dont need braisn to be an actooor.

It's unfair to let one shit role define an actor's entire career.

He was in Jaws 3D as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Um, you all  know who that female presenter is don't you?

@201p has been having some interesting dreams methinks? Anything you wish to share with us?

I wondered if it was her too.

Its like one of those subliminal things. He’s seen her on the tv for the last few days and suddenly that programme has come into his head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Untitled.gif.f3aa0e8aee6812ac3ae8b942d73705af.gif

^SUPPORT THE INDEPENDENT PARTY YOU WILL!!!!!

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Combat

Quite good Army game show. Eight regiments would be paired off and then tested on various Army things, the assault course, shooting, carrying dolls over barbed wire fences whatever.

They'd carry on with this until the end game which would be a fake mission or something normally involving a huge blow-up-the-building style scenario.

In the semi-finals, the teams had to travel through a dense wood in which four booby-traps (tripwires et al) had been laid. Every time a trap was tripped, the action froze, the screen went to a negative picture and the tripping team member was eliminated from the rest of the round. Yipe!

In the final, there was an event which included a long drive. One of the teams' trucks overturned and indeed may have even caused injury to one of the drivers.

Emlyn Hughes
Anneka Rice (1989)
Anna Soubry (1990 special)

Central for ITV, 20 May 1989 to 29 December 1990 (7 episodes in 1 series + 1 special)

---

Only one episode is uploaded to YouTube 7. Well my life is complete now - does that mean I have to follow the subliminal message and support the Independent party now?

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Presumably a blank round in an open barrel doesn't generate enough back pressure to drive the cocking mechanism ?.

Correct. Without one on the end of a modern rifle, you might as give the soldiers on battle exercises a Lee Enfield 303.

 

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is to disperse the shock wave coming out of the barrel - which can kill and has killed. Some people have been lucky to get away with really nasty wounds after a blank firing weapon has been shot near them or at them at close range. Others have been killed.

Correct, It also disperses the shock wave. But I would argue that is a fortunate by-product of the design of a BFA rather than its primary function.

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.