• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Poncy chef killers

Recommended Posts

I just knew that there was a downside to all this social climbing, poncy chef, let’s go to that mitchelin starred restaurant crap. Serves ‘em bloody right

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6728349/Woman-diner-dies-hours-eating-poisonous-mushrooms-Michelin-starred-restaurant-Spain.html

A woman has died after eating a mushroom dish at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain, it has emerged.

María Jesús Fernández Calvo had ordered a meal containing rice and morchella fungi from RiFF in Valencia while out celebrating her husband's birthday.

But on returning home from the eatery, known for its 'innovative dishes', she suffered vomiting and diarrhea and died the next morning.

Officials say 11 more diners, including the 46-year-old's husband and son, aged ten, suffered similar symptoms, medical officials say. The restaurant has been closed amid a probe into the death.

Morchella mushrooms - also known as 'true morels' - need to be carefully cooked and cannot be eaten raw since they contain the toxin hydrazine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even trust exotic mushroom selections in the main supermarkets. It only takes a bit of a wrong one.

If you get into mushroooms it is frightening how some edible ones are very similar looking to ones that kill you. How different times of the day, year and even weather conditions can make a lethal one look like a harmless variety. Crazy.

Even skilled collectors with decades of experience make mistakes from time to time - and that is that.

So to then order a variety which, dependent on whether it is cooked well or not, can kill you and then totally rely on an unknown, unseen cook in a kitchen that you can't see to cook them properly for you... madness!

Btw, I am the opinion that too many trendy restaurants undercook food - hence why we so often hear of mass food poisonings at celeb restaurants most likely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do find it odd that the EU says it's perfectly fine to forage for mushrooms and serve them up in your restaurant, despite the fact that ~50% of varieties in Europe are non-edible or poisonous. But serving up eggs from your own hens is a big no-no and you'll get shut down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko said:

I do find it odd that the EU says it's perfectly fine to forage for mushrooms and serve them up in your restaurant, despite the fact that ~50% of varieties in Europe are non-edible or poisonous. But serving up eggs from your own hens is a big no-no and you'll get shut down.

Hens have fences, walls, borders. Mushrooms do not. Mushrooms have the right to roam and cross borders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Hens have fences, walls, borders. Mushrooms do not. Mushrooms have the right to roam and cross borders.

It’s probably because hens are born female and so don’t support transgender politics. Mushrooms apparently have 36000 sexes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scientists-discover-why-fungi-have-36000-sexes-1119181.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia, 2012

Quote

'Exceptional' chef Liu Jun cooked, killed by death cap mushrooms

Belinda Cranston, AAP
January 6, 2012 4:08am
A CHEF who died after consuming toxic mushrooms made the best Chinese meals one of his friends had ever tasted, and planned on returning to his family in China later in the year.

UK 2011

Quote

Author of Horse Whisperer poisoned by eating mushrooms has kidney transplant from daughter

After nearly three years of been on a waiting list the best-selling author of The Horse Whisperer has been donated a kidney by his only daughter.

Nicholas Evans, 60 suffered kidney failure in August 2008 after eating poisonous mushrooms picked from his brother-in-law’s 13,000-acre Scottish estate.

Mr Evans, his wife Charlotte and Charlotte's brother and sister-in-law suffered a near-fatal reaction after eating the deadly webcap mushroom - mistaken as harmless ceps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

It is so obvious when you know.

I’d also like to point out that the Independent article also claims that humans only have two sexes. It was written in 1999 when we didn’t know better but that is no defence now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, if i mix these 'special' mushrooms in with some other supermarket bought mushrooms, then whoever eats them could well be a gonner eh.

Do you have any pictures of the deadly ones and where i can pick them, im asking for a friend, not that i want to get rid of anyone or anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If you get into mushroooms it is frightening how some edible ones are very similar looking to ones that kill you. How different times of the day, year and even weather conditions can make a lethal one look like a harmless variety. Crazy.

In France the pharmacists will identify mushrooms for foragers. My grandparents were disappointed when they found out the same service was not offered here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, One percent said:

I just knew that there was a downside to all this social climbing, poncy chef, let’s go to that mitchelin starred restaurant crap. Serves ‘em bloody right

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6728349/Woman-diner-dies-hours-eating-poisonous-mushrooms-Michelin-starred-restaurant-Spain.html

A woman has died after eating a mushroom dish at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain, it has emerged.

María Jesús Fernández Calvo had ordered a meal containing rice and morchella fungi from RiFF in Valencia while out celebrating her husband's birthday.

But on returning home from the eatery, known for its 'innovative dishes', she suffered vomiting and diarrhea and died the next morning.

Officials say 11 more diners, including the 46-year-old's husband and son, aged ten, suffered similar symptoms, medical officials say. The restaurant has been closed amid a probe into the death.

Morchella mushrooms - also known as 'true morels' - need to be carefully cooked and cannot be eaten raw since they contain the toxin hydrazine.

 

 

E97B41F3-D64E-4B14-ACAA-9A1576C21ABE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

 

E97B41F3-D64E-4B14-ACAA-9A1576C21ABE.png

[You beat me to it Carl. My contribution to this thread was going to be, somewhat enigmatically:]

 

Mycological fugu!

 

Edited by DocH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a process to follow after first identifying mushrooms. Smell, put a bit on your lip, then tongue. Then eat a tiny bit and wait. 

^ something like that anyway, I remember reading it in the book shown below, bizarrely also available as an audio book :

 

A15F1CEC-4364-4E11-B61A-1ABD0A25DA36.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

There’s a process to follow after first identifying mushrooms. Smell, put a bit on your lip, then tongue. Then eat a tiny bit and wait. 

^ something like that anyway, I remember reading it in the book shown below, bizarrely also available as an audio book :

 

A15F1CEC-4364-4E11-B61A-1ABD0A25DA36.jpeg

Best be careful with that one -- the 'dying timescale' for some poisonous mushrooms can be surprisingly long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Best be careful with that one -- the 'dying timescale' for some poisonous mushrooms can be surprisingly long.

 

Agreed. That is incredibly stupid. You can be dead with some of those mushroom before you even get the symptoms.

That sounds like those naff cop shows from the 70's and 80's where the hero rips open a bag of heroin during a bust and takes a taste just to say "Yep, heroin!".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Agreed. That is incredibly stupid. You can be dead with some of those mushroom before you even get the symptoms.

That sounds like those naff cop shows from the 70's and 80's where the hero rips open a bag of heroin during a bust and takes a taste just to say "Yep, heroin!".

I dunno. That always worked for me.    9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.