• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Moral panic thread

Nothing like a good scare story. Extra points if it's aimed at your little darlings.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6728427/Fears-Momo-spread-Britain-boy-tells-school-friends-creature-kill-them.html

- Momo Challenge

- Blue Whale Challenge

- SARS

- Bridgend suicides

- MDMA in the 90s

- Ebola

- Alabama Rot

All killed approximately the sum of fuck all people (or dogs). Feel free to add more, there are loads.

Don't worry we have the Black Eyed Children.

Black-eyed children (or black-eyed kids) are paranormal creatures that resemble children, with pale skin and black eyes, who are usually seen hitchhiking/panhandling, or are encountered on doorsteps of residential homes by the occupants.

Beware of the children cos' they're going to get you yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_children

o-BLACK-EYED-CHILD-570.jpg

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/mystery-black-eyed-child-sightings-cannock-chase-_n_5898988.html

2 hours ago, Malthus said:

Other than celebrities don’t personally know anyone who died as a result of aids, the other one is mad cow disease 

59A5D9BE-FCB1-4F5C-AE7C-249A5E0ECE82.jpeg

Actually, I do. It was horrible. The government campaign on this one was a model of non-judgemental public health campaigning and I fully support it. If only more government initiatives could be run this way the world would be a better place.

36 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Actually, I do. It was horrible. The government campaign on this one was a model of non-judgemental public health campaigning and I fully support it. If only more government initiatives could be run this way the world would be a better place.

Non-judgemental? As I remember it we were all going to die if we had had sex since VE Day. And all to spare the blushes of homosexuals and drug users.

26 minutes ago, Panther said:

Non-judgemental? As I remember it we were all going to die if we had had sex since VE Day. And all to spare the blushes of homosexuals and drug users.

Yes, non—judgemental. The message was don’t have unprotected sex with a stranger or you might get HIV. It said nothing about whether or not you should have sex in the first place or about who you had sex with.

The UK was a much better place when tens of thousands of people were getting mad with it on E's every weekend.

The youth of today need to get out more often instead of obsessing about shite on Twatter and Instagram

8 minutes ago, choochoo said:

The UK was a much better place when tens of thousands of people were getting mad with it on E's every weekend.

The youth of today need to get out more often instead of obsessing about shite on Twatter and Instagram

Agreed. The youth of today are a pathetic shower of shite fed a diet of social media, smart phones & shit food.

Mad fer it.

Edited by mattydread

'Second Hand Smoke'. If it was as bad as was made out, most of Britain's population would be dead now from lung cancer.

'Alcopops'. Supposedly all kids were going to be off their faces on booze that tasted like orangeade, never seemed to happen though.

'Millenium bug/Y2K'. Never happened.

'Hard Brexit' (Oh wait, that hasn't not happened yet).

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

'Millenium bug/Y2K'. Never happened.

This is an interesting one. I've been on a few Brexit threads on Mumsnet and the Y2K never happened theory gets debunked by remoaners every time as they remember how hard IT departments worked to sort it out so it wouldn't happen. I know the company I was working for had such a project but I don't know what they did apart from claim vast quantities of overtime. So IT bods on here - was there a huge amount of work to prevent the world stopping or was it all just a cunning ploy to enrich a lot of contractors?

10 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

It said nothing about whether or not you should have sex in the first place or about who you had sex with.

Which are the exact disease vectors for AIDS, anal sex with a drug injector being the acme.

But no, we are all at risk...

Edited by Panther

4 minutes ago, Panther said:

Which are the exact disease vectors for AIDS, anal sex with a drug injector being the acme

To be fair at the height of the AIDS panic, it was commonly quoted in the MSM that AIDS was going to spread rapidly from gays to straights via bisexuals, which was why everyone had to be careful and it shouldn't be thought of as a 'gay plague'. 

It didn't happen in large numbers though mainly because the sexual contact required to spread AIDS as I understand it is huge amounts of bumming.

I don't think people in the mainstream heterosexual world realised the scale of what was going on in the 'bath houses' in the 70s and 80s to enable the spread of AIDS. They thought it was just picked up casually like the clap.

Edited by Austin Allegro

Bird flu and assuming it's not just illnesses.

1984, 2000, 2012 - probably 2020 and 2030.

With bird flu there was the associated panic of a likely shortage of vaccines.  The pharmas likely made a pandemic packet.

The threat still lurks probably to be regularly resurrected whenever pharma profits dip.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Panther said:

Which are the exact disease vectors for AIDS, anal sex with a drug injector being the acme.

But no, we are all at risk...

The risk of transmission by different activities did not become understood until much later than that and, in any case, low risk is not the same as no risk. I knew two people who died in the original AIDS epidemic, one of them was a gay man who most likely caught it from unprotected anal sex and the other was a  woman who married a South African man and caught it from, I assume, vaginal sex (she didn't seem like the type to be taking up the arse). 

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

This is an interesting one. I've been on a few Brexit threads on Mumsnet and the Y2K never happened theory gets debunked by remoaners every time as they remember how hard IT departments worked to sort it out so it wouldn't happen. I know the company I was working for had such a project but I don't know what they did apart from claim vast quantities of overtime. So IT bods on here - was there a huge amount of work to prevent the world stopping or was it all just a cunning ploy to enrich a lot of contractors?

I was engaged in a project around 1995 in anticipation of what would be the millenium bug, although nobody referred to it in those terms at the time. It was only in retrospect that I realised that was what we had been doing. So I guess more switched on places had it sorted well in advance.

Mad cow disease. We were all going to die if we had ever consumed a burger from a dodgy burger van. Less than 200 Brits have ever died from CJD.

Mind you, it did result in the end of the practice of grinding up farm animals, and then feeding them to other animals.

Do you remember when John Gummer fed his daughter a burger live on TV?