• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Kitchens across Britain could look very different over the next few years after ministers were told that gas cookers should be banned.

A report from the Committee on Climate Change says that developers should be forced to install low-carbon heating systems so that Britain’s legally binding emissions targets can be met.

This would mean that newly-built homes would not be able to have gas boilers or stoves fitted, stopping them being connected to the gas grid.

The committee accepted that low-carbon heating systems and extra insulation would add up to £5,000 to the cost of a new home, which would also take longer to heat up.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gas-hobs-kitchen-banned-within-six-years-meet-emission-targets-104144445.html

This, plus the pushing of smart meters makes me think they are trying to have people be more controllable and trackable. 

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Kitchens across Britain could look very different over the next few years after ministers were told that gas cookers should be banned.

A report from the Committee on Climate Change says that developers should be forced to install low-carbon heating systems so that Britain’s legally binding emissions targets can be met.

This would mean that newly-built homes would not be able to have gas boilers or stoves fitted, stopping them being connected to the gas grid.

The committee accepted that low-carbon heating systems and extra insulation would add up to £5,000 to the cost of a new home, which would also take longer to heat up.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gas-hobs-kitchen-banned-within-six-years-meet-emission-targets-104144445.html

This, plus the pushing of smart meters makes me think they are trying to have people be more controllable and trackable. 

There is already a thread on this I think.  

To put my two pennorth (sp?) worth in, I’m just ordering a new gas hob. o.O  

This is coming from the stupid idiots that promoted the use of gas to generate electricity! Using gas direct to the home is more efficient than using it to generate electricity. During peak Winter demand household gas supply plays an important part of the energy mix. Wind and solar would not be able to cope - so where is the extra generator capacity going to come from?

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

This is coming from the stupid idiots that promoted the use of gas to generate electricity! Using gas direct to the home is more efficient than using it to generate electricity. During peak Winter demand household gas supply plays an important part of the energy mix. Wind and solar would not be able to cope - so where is the extra generator capacity going to come from?

That open fire in the back of the cave. We really are going backwards at a rate of nots. 

47 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Yes I posted an article from the Mail in the "when the oil and sand run out" thread. I'm not cooking on a poxy electric hob.

'

Try induction.

I live out in the sticks and miles from the nearest gas main.  Induction hobs are the business: quick, cool, controllable and easy to clean. The alternative is calor gas which is a pain to install and deal with.

2 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Try induction.

I live out in the sticks and miles from the nearest gas main.  Induction hobs are the business: quick, cool, controllable and easy to clean. The alternative is calor gas which is a pain to install and deal with.

Convince me. I’m just installing a new hob...  

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Convince me. I’m just installing a new hob...  

Ceramic or induction for me, I would never choose gas over either of those

Would have always chosen gas over the old-style, solid plate metal hob

Here's a chef cooking with electric

Ok, convince me more. 

Im currently cooking on a 40 year old electric hob. I cannot control the bloody thing. 

5 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Induction with separate gas burner for a proper round-based wok :-)

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Ceramic or induction for me, I would never choose gas over either of those

Would have always chosen gas over the old-style, solid plate metal hob

Here's a chef cooking with electric

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ok, convince me more. 

Im currently cooking on a 40 year old electric hob. I cannot control the bloody thing. 

This is why I doubt induction can beat gas for stir-fry. Can’t handle the round base and the heat control is not up to it. Fine for everything else.

No comparison between old electric hob and induction. Always been a gas fan, but nearly a year with an induction hob and just as good really - though don't stir fry. Great for cleaning, much better than gas hob, slight downside is marking of legends on some hobs, even the most expensive ones and glass scarring.   A well looked after and cleaned gas hob would look pretty much like new after 10 years, I doubt many induction hobs would, if any due to above.

19 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Is there an induction option for a round-based wok? I would definitely ditch gas if there was.

This seems to be a bit of a bargain at the moment, if the list price is real

https://www.ecatering.co.uk/buy/chef-king-heavy-duty-induction-wok-hob-3kw-heavy-duty-bt-500d_254.htm?

Or, on a regular flat induction hob use a stainless steel wok and a wok ring

https://www.chowhound.com/post/induction-wok-ring-bottom-woks-978516

I use a wok ring on a ceramic hob, works fine, wok smokes well, on a 2.5kw ring

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/72173/School-of-Wok-25cm-Stainless-Steel-Wok-Ring?

Edited by Hopeful

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ok, convince me more. 

I’ve just bought another induction. The builder damaged mine whilst building the extension. 

I doubt I would go back to gas. Induction is very good, much better than ceramic.

Actually, @Frank Hovis made a comment a few years back about thinking it was magic the first time he saw water boil on an induction hob. That was enough to convince me. I’m obviously easily sold.:D

1 minute ago, Battenberg said:

I’ve just bought another induction. The builder damaged mine whilst building the extension. 

I doubt I would go back to gas. Induction is very good, much better than ceramic.

Actually, @Frank Hovis made a comment a few years back about thinking it was magic the first time he saw water boil on an induction hob. That was enough to convince me. I’m obviously easily sold.:D

I’ve cooked wit gas since back in the day. It’s expensive if I decide I don’t like an induction.  Wobbling. 

Well I’m having a peninsula in my new kitchen and my hob is going on that so it makes sense to have induction, I think. 

We’d have to have the pipes redone too for gas. Not a massive deal but I’m happy enough with induction. 

I spent bloody ages trying to find what I liked because the controls can be a but unresponsive compared to knobs that you’d get on a gas hob. 

I’ve gone with this AEG which is completely black when it’s off. No zone lines. I like the 4 individual controls.

I didn’t pay as much as it is in John Lewis. I got it from Wickes in the Jan sales for half the price of JL.

https://www.johnlewis.com/aeg-hk674400fb-induction-hob-black/p2809391?sku=236196442&s_kwcid=2dx92700024307468058&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2L7jBRCBARIsAPeAsaOC5PtaAAkLi2nQzKGF4MfWx0xZ2NPfyjnUahASnwEF_MjMxwB5bjgaApIDEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

8 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Yup, it's faster and cleaner than gas, nothing like ceramic hobs which are a nightmare.

Because the induction hob heats the pan but not the hob itself it's much easier to clean than any other hob.

If you need to turn something down suddenly to a simmer it responds instantly.

I wouldn't go back to gas now even if I had a supply.

1 minute ago, Dipsy said:

I didn't know you needed to consult your doctor if you have a pacemaker and want an induction hob (according to John Lewis).

Better not go for one then. Need to be future proof. o.O

1 minute ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Yup, it's faster and cleaner than gas, nothing like ceramic hobs which are a nightmare.

Because the induction hob heats the pan but not the hob itself it's much easier to clean than any other hob.

If you need to turn something down suddenly to a simmer it responds instantly.

I wouldn't go back to gas now even if I had a supply.

Is it really as controllable as gas?