• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

How fucking much? Does anyone actually still post letters?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47331801

Royal Mail has apologised after announcing a price rise which breaches a cap designed to make the postal service "affordable" for all consumers.

From 25 March, the price of a first-class stamp will rise by 3p to 70p and a second-class stamp by 3p to 61p.

Raising the cost of second-class post breached Ofcom's current price cap of 60p which is in place until 1 April.

Royal Mail says it will donate the extra revenue, about £60,000, to charity Action for Children.

i make my bank post me a statement every month. :)

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Think a regular letter only costs us about 25p through TNT Post, where Royal Mail then do the final delivery, would think it will be loads less for a bank posting millions of letters.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oh well, trying to do my bit...

Have you thought about posting junk mail envelopes? An elderly neighbour used to it with every peice of junk mail he got, used to make me smile. I would be curious to know what the cost of it is for both pre paid envelopes and please affix stamp envelopes.

Are the pre paid ones only charged when delivered or do they pay a fixed price up front?

If anyone knows the answers.

1 minute ago, billfunk said:

Still too cheap I reckon. I don't see any other company offering a universal final mile mail delivery service for less. Maybe we should stop forcing Royal Mail to deliver the final mile at a capped cost and let the market decide what the correct price of delivery is?

And those private companies have encroached into the conurbations, leaving the isolated places to Royal Mail 

10 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Still too cheap I reckon. I don't see any other company offering a universal final mile mail delivery service for less. Maybe we should stop forcing Royal Mail to deliver the final mile at a capped cost and let the market decide what the correct price of delivery is?

No, it's way too expensive against a competitive market both Hermes or Yodel will deliver a parcel for loads less than Royal Mail doing all their own deliveries. RM's monopoly keeps prices high and competition out.

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

And those private companies have encroached into the conurbations, leaving the isolated places to Royal Mail 

No, there's all sorts of nonsense PR that Royal Mail is some national treasure selflessly getting Dominos leaflets to those remote areas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all nonsense all the courier companies deliver everywhere at a flat rate excluding a tiny list of extremely remote highlands and islands postcodes which is justifiable to charge slightly more for.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

No, it's way too expensive against a competitive market both Hermes or Yodel will deliver a parcel for loads less than Royal Mail doing all their own deliveries. RM's monopoly keeps prices high and competition out.

No, there's all sorts of nonsense PR that Royal Mail is some national treasure selflessly getting Dominos leaflets to those remote areas out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all nonsense all the courier companies deliver everywhere at a flat rate excluding a tiny list of extremely remote highlands and islands postcodes which is justifiable to charge slightly more for.

So why are RM forced to deliver the final mile?

36 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Think a regular letter only costs us about 25p through TNT Post, where Royal Mail then do the final delivery, would think it will be loads less for a bank posting millions of letters.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

But as you said in your earlier post, Royal Mail does the last (the hardest) bit 

So why are RM forced to deliver the final mile?

Because they had a market monopoly and infrastructure of over a century where it was actually illegal to compete against them. They did not acquire their monopoly by running and growing an efficient and competitive business. 

I use Royal Mail for Ebay parcels up to 2kg. 2nd class post costs £2.95, rising to £3 in March. Anything heavier goes courier.

My top tip- buy old stamps on Ebay at 50-60% of face value, and save £££s. Totally legit as long as they haven't already been through the post. Stuff like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Mail-Mint-Stamps-Presentation-Pack-Christmas-2016-new-/254131121486?hash=item3b2b652d4e%3Ag%3AzdsAAOSwaRRca82g%3Ark%3A6%3Apf%3A0&nma=true&si=9ENnx20aZaXEIAkyESQw11fgdho%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

59% of face value.

Just now, SNACR said:

Because they had a market monopoly and infrastructure of over a century where it was actually illegal to compete against them. They did not acquire their monopoly by running and growing an efficient and competitive business. 

I don't understand why because they had an inefficient monopoly in past this means we should force them to do something in the present. If there are companies that already do the final mile now then it would be better to open it up to the market and cut out the inefficient legacy monopoly player. 

I don't understand your position.

39 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Twenty five quid a time according to the bank charges fiasco.

54 minutes ago, One percent said:

Royal Mail has apologised after announcing a price rise which breaches a cap designed to make the postal service "affordable" for all consumers.

From 25 March, the price of a first-class stamp will rise by 3p to 70p and a second-class stamp by 3p to 61p.

Raising the cost of second-class post breached Ofcom's current price cap of 60p which is in place until 1 April.

Royal Mail says it will donate the extra revenue, about £60,000, to charity Action for Children.

Take it yourself. See how far your 70p train ticket gets you :D

Edited by Roger_Mellie

2 minutes ago, billfunk said:

I don't understand why because they had an inefficient monopoly in past this means we should force them to do something in the present. If there are companies that already do the final mile now then it would be better to open it up to the market and cut out the inefficient legacy monopoly player. 

In addition, they were incredibly cheap until government started meddling. Not bad for a monopoly. 

The truth is, they were not a monopoly but a state organised service. Not making a profit but charging what was needed to keep the service operational 

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Take it yourself. See how far your 70p train ticket gets you :D

About 5 feet from the platform I would think xD

It's not like a chain of shops or fast food restaurants where you could potentially start in one or two locations and expand to take on Mcdonalds. You need to have the infrastructure right across the UK to compete in any way at all from the get go making the investment too large.

Just now, SNACR said:

It's not like a chain of shops or fast food restaurants where you could potentially start in one or two locations and expand to take on Mcdonalds. You need to have the infrastructure right across the UK to compete in any way at all from the get go making the investment too large.

Sorry so are they too expensive or not? You started off by saying they are too expensive versus the competition. Now you seem to be suggesting that their infrastructure is very costly which would justify a greater expense?

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

In addition, they were incredibly cheap until government started meddling. Not bad for a monopoly. 

The truth is, they were not a monopoly but a state organised service. Not making a profit but charging what was needed to keep the service operational 

About 5 feet from the platform I would think xD

No they were essentally taxpayer subsidised. Firstly because government has always been by far the largest user of its services it may well have 'charged' government departments but that's only really internal accounting. Then I would suspect additional money was funnelled in on the QT. Just because it wasn't through the face value price of a stamp doesn't mean you weren't paying for it.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

No they were essentally taxpayer subsidised. Firstly because government has always been by far the largest user of its services it may well have 'charged' government departments but that's only really internal accounting. Then I would suspect additional money was funnelled in on the QT. Just because it wasn't through the face value price of a stamp doesn't mean you weren't paying for it.

Ok, fair enough. But the current rate, I just don’t do post. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Wait, what? If they can afford to give the revenue away to charity, why does the price need to rise above the price cap?