• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Oscars

27 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Who really gives a fuck? It's really something that no one outside the "luvvie" professions is really much interested in. Why does the So-Called BBC send people out to Hollywood to film it?

Pissing the licence fee up the wall, apparently year on year viewing figures have been going down and its broadcast live at some ungodly hour anyway so it's isn't live to most of us and we can surely cope with someone in the UK just reading out the results for those that give a fuck.

It used to be/seem important. Films that won were guaranteed to do well. Last year's winner appeared to be based on racial quotas. A film no one had heard of and no one went to see afterwards. Even heard a german news report saying it was a bit of a damp squib. I stopped caring in (gooogle google) 2004 when tarantino explicitly said they had chosen the  Cannes winner for its political message.

5 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

It used to be/seem important. Films that won were guaranteed to do well. Last year's winner appeared to be based on racial quotas. A film no one had heard of and no one went to see afterwards. Even heard a german news report saying it was a bit of a damp squib. I stopped caring in (gooogle google) 2004 when tarantino explicitly said they had chosen the  Cannes winner for its political message.

Vast majority of the films up for awards at the Oscars have already been in and out of the cinema. I think apart from Roma I've seen all of the films that were up for best picture. I like watching films but wouldn't be influenced awards and yes I think the whole thing has become politicised.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Who really gives a fuck? It's really something that no one outside the "luvvie" professions is really much interested in. Why does the So-Called BBC send people out to Hollywood to film it?

Same reason they send weather presenters to events like tennis at Wimbledon, to give them a trip out at licence fee payer's expense.

What on Earth was Spike Lee wearing? Colour cooridinated spectacles too. o.O

We in Norfolk had something to cheer about as our very own Olivia Coleman won an ornament. She's come a long way since 'Look Around You' . :)

As for the So-Called BBC Footage I saw this morning, I had to laugh when the reported directed the cameraman to swing round and nearly hit another reporter in the face xD . I think the victim was also a BBC puppet: Colm someone - Scottish bald chap who reports on Showbiz.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

'cause luvvies attract!

38 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Vast majority of the films up for awards at the Oscars have already been in and out of the cinema. I think apart from Roma I've seen all of the films that were up for best picture. I like watching films but wouldn't be influenced awards and yes I think the whole thing has become politicised.

What the fekk is the fekking hype about Roma ?

I watched it

It was watchable

But it left no lasting impression

I'm very open for someone to explain why it is lauded as being so great

Edited by Hopeful

Look at them all is she wearing knickers he looks odd nice she won oh that's a surprise so emotional what are they doing party time look at all the girls you can see her tits.

19 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'm not sure, it keeps popping up on my Netflix recommendations but I haven't mustered the energy to watch it yet. I've just binge watched the Umbrella Academy which was rather fun and better than I anticipated so I'm not in the mood for Latino drama.

6 hours ago, Dipsy said:

I'm not sure, it keeps popping up on my Netflix recommendations but I haven't mustered the energy to watch it yet. I've just binge watched the Umbrella Academy which was rather fun and better than I anticipated so I'm not in the mood for Latino drama.

I’m on about episode 5 seems ok

The film industry generally is all about marketing hype. 

Without the hype few people would feel moved to spend £10 plus car parking costs, travel costs and maybe wildly overpriced drink and food to sit in a darkened room with strangers watching a recording.

There are only two things special about that recording:

It has been made recently

It has received enormous amounts of publicity

It remains however a recording rather than a live performance.  So why do people rush to see it?

To take a recent example I would suggest that precisely nobody thought "What I want to do this week is to watch a crude slapstick version of the private life of Queen Anne".  If the exact same film had been shown on Channel 5 last Tuesday afternoon they wouldn't have even bothered recording it.

However hype it up with Oscars, Baftas, freebies and beer for reporters and critics and it becomes hot news. People think they must go and pay money to watch a recording of a crude slapstick version of the private life of Queen Anne.

It's evidence that marketing works and this is evidenced by the fact that somebody, as happened the other day, would actually be surprised that I hadn't seen Bohemian Rhapsody.

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Without the hype few people would feel moved to spend £10 plus car parking costs, travel costs and maybe wildly overpriced drink and food to sit in a darkened room with strangers watching a recording.

It remains however a recording rather than a live performance.  So why do people rush to see it?

To take a recent example I would suggest that precisely nobody thought "What I want to do this week is to watch a crude slapstick version of the private life of Queen Anne".  If the exact same film had been shown on Channel 5 last Tuesday afternoon they wouldn't have even bothered recording it.

However hype it up with Oscars, Baftas, freebies and beer for reporters and critics and it becomes hot news. People think they must go and pay money to watch a recording of a crude slapstick version of the private life of Queen Anne.

It's evidence that marketing works and this is evidenced by the fact that somebody, as happened the other day, would actually be surprised that I hadn't seen Bohemian Rhapsody.

Thing with that one, and a fair few others I dare say many people know the story better than the film makers.

Haven't been to the cinema in about a year, I probably average one  visit every two years and even then that's a push.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Spoilers around the water cooler innit bruv. 

14 hours ago, leonardratso said:

whats roma, is it one for the ah, was pikey thread?

14 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I watched it

It was watchable

But it left no lasting impression

I'm very open for someone to explain why it is lauded as being so great

It cropped up in my spanish learning podcast.

Bloke tried to interview people about it in mexico city, but he could only find two, that had seen it and they were fairly lukewarm, so he went to the place it was set and interviewd people who had specially travelled there to see it, and unsurprisingly, they were very positive about it. Apparently it deals with issues of mexican nationalism, racism, LGBT, and anti americanism. One bloke even said all the nominations seemed a bit dodgy. Apparently a big hit in the spanish speaking world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NOqd_OUO3E

(not for watching just as eveidence. Unless your learning spanish. I'm not, but I might one day. It does have english subtitles)

Edited by steppensheep

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

nobody thought "What I want to do this week is to watch a crude slapstick version of the private life of Queen Anne".  If the exact same film had been shown on Channel 5 last Tuesday afternoon they wouldn't have even bothered recording it.

I was intrigued by the trailer and I have a cinema membership so can go and see as many films as I want for a fixed price. It's rather entertaining in a bonkers way but there are some moments of poignancy in it, what it did for me was highlight that my knowledge of that era is very poor so I went off and educated myself about Queen Anne and her court. If I hadn't seen the film I wouldn't have bothered to read up on her. Tragic woman, pushed from pillar to post as a young child, many close relatives died before she was 7. She had 17 pregnancies in 16 years, 12 of which were miscarriages or stillbirths. Only one of her living children survived until the age of 11, when he then died. She died at the age of 49. 

I'd agree that marketing does influence, why would they spend vast sums of money if it didn't, I'd hate to think how much money Marvel spent on Black Panther, nominated due to political correctness but with a massive box office return and marketing budget. The Favourite was in all sense a much smaller film but one I enjoyed far more than the superheroes, plus I've widen my historical knowledge. 

Thinking about the films I've most enjoyed this year, none of them have been blockbusters (apart from the Incredibles 2), The Favourite, Can You Ever Forgive Me, The Happy Prince and American Animals, these films need a bit of hype to be seen amongst all the dross.