• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

New mega mansion

This just shows the disconnect between the wealthy and the rest of us. Not since the 20s has there been the money about in individual hands to build such a monstrosity. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6746493/The-Cotswolds-Palace-Britains-biggest-new-build-home-spanning-68-000-square-feet.html

need to go to the link for the full impact of the pictures 

Oh it's not built yet, let's hope someone with some taste files plans for something a little less bling. Of course they have to sell it first, I thought the bottom had fallen out of the high end luxury purchase/money laundering market?

They scooped up all the money back then too so people could not buy, killing the economy and kicking off the great depression.  Greed is an unstoppable virus which eventually kills itself out, such are systems and states of equalibrium.

I reckon the owner put in the most ludicrous, tasteless and OTT plans he could dream up in order to boost the value of the land. Any prospective owner knows they'll be able to get planning for pretty much anything they like.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

This just shows the disconnect between the wealthy and the rest of us. Not since the 20s has there been the money about in individual hands to build such a monstrosity. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6746493/The-Cotswolds-Palace-Britains-biggest-new-build-home-spanning-68-000-square-feet.html

need to go to the link for the full impact of the pictures 

It's great that our society produces enough wealth to build mansions like this and the annual Land Value Tax will fund services for hundreds of households. What's not to like?

Hold on, no Land Value Tax, you say? Only £3,000 a year council tax on a £50 million mansion, you say? Can't be right, surely?

52 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

@Sgt Hartman there'll be some gardening/landscaping work going there for sure! :P

Such a tasteful thing is bound to have a pleasant, quiet and unpretentious owner too.... :S

It's not Meghan and Harry's future pile is it? Wouldn't put it past her.....

I can just imagine the sort of walking suppository that would think that place was the height of good taste. To be fair, they'll blend in very well round those parts as there's a very high tolerance level for this sort of ostentatious buffoonery.

Don't go thinking that it will be the showpiece for master-craftsmen or anything like that though. I worked on a similar property that, while not being quite so Nero-esqe, was still ridiculously ornate with large stone colonnades, Roman statues and arches. 

One day while working, I leaned my spade against one of these colonnades and was slightly bemused to hear a hollow 'bonk' as I did so. Further examination of the pillars gave away the fact that they were all made of hollow plastic or fibreglass. Same story with the statues and arches.

Wouldn't have given much of a toss either way but the owner was such a braggart wanker that he would have had you believe these relics had been dug out of the stony ground of Herculanium itself before being transported at great expense to his Cotswold residence, dahling.

Cunt.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Lot of that - though not to that degree -admittedly, going on in the sticks around Cambridge.

General rule is...buy up a tiny shack like bungalow for a couple hundred k. Buy some land around it for not much at all, then put plans in for some massive mansion

As its, officially, just a 'replacement dwelling', planning permission is pretty much guaranteed. Doesnt seem to matter that what was there was a 900sqft bungalow hidden behind bushes, making way for a 5000sq ft house that stands out like a sore thumb from miles around. 

I wouldnt mind so much if they were hidden behind trees, but given the land around cambridge is so flat, the landscape is being blighted by these, often rather ungainly things. They look a bit like cargo vessels in the channel :D

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

This thread went full circle quickly. Harry and his missus just moved out of a pad that used to have a ha-ha. Maybe that was the reason?

My Uncle built a ha-ha in front of his semi in Norbiton. Hermes delivery men kept falling into it in the dark. He ended up having to fill it in.

Well, I say fill it in, more a layer of topsoil to cover the decaying Hermes delivery men.

35 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Lot of that - though not to that degree -admittedly, going on in the sticks around Cambridge.

General rule is...buy up a tiny shack like bungalow for a couple hundred k. Buy some land around it for not much at all, then put plans in for some massive mansion

As its, officially, just a 'replacement dwelling', planning permission is pretty much guaranteed. Doesnt seem to matter that what was there was a 900sqft bungalow hidden behind bushes, making way for a 5000sq ft house that stands out like a sore thumb from miles around. 

I wouldnt mind so much if they were hidden behind trees, but given the land around cambridge is so flat, the landscape is being blighted by these, often rather ungainly things. They look a bit like cargo vessels in the channel :D

Are you disrespecting my new view?