Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

UK car exports to China fall by 72% in January


sancho panza

Recommended Posts

Obviously Brexit will get blamed for EU demand drop but possibly substantiating rumours that China is imploding

 

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-car-exports-to-china-fall-by-72-in-january-11649823

UK car production's troubles were compounded in January as the sector faced its eighth consecutive slump and exports to China plummeted by 72%. Figures released by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) showed a decline across both the domestic and international markets for British-made vehicles, as overall production fell by 18.2% year-on-year in the first month of 2019. A total of 120,649 vehicles were produced in the UK during the month, down from the 147,507 made in the previous January, meaning that 26,858 fewer vehicles left British plants. Total exports for the month fell 21.4% to to 93,781 vehicles. While just over a quarter of the vehicles destined for China made the trip, exports to the European Union - the biggest market for British-made cars according to the SMMT - were down by 20%.

Up to 80% of all British-made vehicles are exported and more than half of car exports go to the EU - 54% according the industry body, The Chinese market represents 7.5% of all output shipped overseas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

They're quite good at coming up with versions of their own so I perhaps many Chinese  drivers will want to import a more expensive version. I'm thinking 'Land Wind' and 'Land Rover'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Semi relevant. I saw in the news recently that they shut down a fake LEGO factory in China that was producing millions of sets for about 1/4 of the price. I decided to buy one on Alibaba (Porsche 911 Technik set. Costs £220 for the official one, this cost me £60 with shipping). It arrives yesterday I will be putting it up this weekend and will post photos. According to what I've read on reddit they are almost indistinguishable.

So this begs the question, why buy a Land Rover when you can buy a Land Wind for 1/3 of the price?

*I realise that a lot of the LEGO cost is made of licensing rights but even so, it's still a rip-off and just profiteering I suspect. For all their arguments about how each piece is a finely engineered piece of art, the Chinese clones can do it just as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sleepwello'nights
14 minutes ago, spunko said:

*I realise that a lot of the LEGO cost is made of licensing rights but even so, it's still a rip-off and just profiteering I suspect. For all their arguments about how each piece is a finely engineered piece of art, the Chinese clones can do it just as well.

Funnily enough I've been looking at Lego Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS kits on eBay. Now discontinued by Lego but still look to be readily available. The asking prices are near enough the same as Lego's original retail price. How many are Chinese copies I wonder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

Funnily enough I've been looking at Lego Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS kits on eBay. Now discontinued by Lego but still look to be readily available. The asking prices are near enough the same as Lego's original retail price. How many are Chinese copies I wonder. 

The Chinese copies are obvious when they arrive the box says LINGO instead of LEGO on it, and the bits don't come in those branded bags. I might be wrong but I think the genuine LEGO one also comes in a posh box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

On the other hand this is great news for the climate emergency crowd.

One day a government will be honest enough to admit that economic growth and saving the planet are in direct opposition rather than saying different things to different audiences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RickyBacker
23 hours ago, spunko said:

The Chinese copies are obvious when they arrive the box says LINGO instead of LEGO on it, and the bits don't come in those branded bags. I might be wrong but I think the genuine LEGO one also comes in a posh box.

These copies are all over Taiwan under various 'lego' sounding names ... LINGO, LENGO, LUNGO... etc. Usually found in the local 'bookstores' rather than the large shopping malls. Kids don't know the difference so there's a huge market for them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iamcynical
9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

On the other hand this is great news for the climate emergency crowd.

One day a government will be honest enough to admit that economic growth and saving the planet are in direct opposition rather than saying different things to different audiences.

I don't see this happening anytime soon :Old:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/05/2019 at 14:26, spunko said:

Semi relevant. I saw in the news recently that they shut down a fake LEGO factory in China that was producing millions of sets for about 1/4 of the price. I decided to buy one on Alibaba (Porsche 911 Technik set. Costs £220 for the official one, this cost me £60 with shipping). It arrives yesterday I will be putting it up this weekend and will post photos. According to what I've read on reddit they are almost indistinguishable.

So this begs the question, why buy a Land Rover when you can buy a Land Wind for 1/3 of the price?

*I realise that a lot of the LEGO cost is made of licensing rights but even so, it's still a rip-off and just profiteering I suspect. For all their arguments about how each piece is a finely engineered piece of art, the Chinese clones can do it just as well.

Try ebay ...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lego's QA procedure is pretty good.

They keep the moudls clean and the plastic consistent.

Talking to an adult leg er- yeah, i know ... - the initial copies were shit, then they were almost as good, now they are shit again.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One percent

Brexit innit.  Ale

least in the guardian world

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/30/uk-car-production-plunges-amid-untold-damage-of-brexit-chaos

Car production plunged by nearly half in April as factories shut down to prepare for a Brexit date that never came, prompting renewed anguish from the UK motor industry at the “untold damage” done by prolonged uncertainty.

In a slump that the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) described as “extraordinary”, 70,971 vehicles rolled off the production lines in April, down 44.5% from 127,970 in the same month of last year.

Labour said the figures showed that the government’s “mishandling” of Brexit was already hurting carmakers, warning of further pain if the next Tory leader backs leaving the EU without a deal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

Brexit innit.  Ale

least in the guardian world

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/30/uk-car-production-plunges-amid-untold-damage-of-brexit-chaos

Car production plunged by nearly half in April as factories shut down to prepare for a Brexit date that never came, prompting renewed anguish from the UK motor industry at the “untold damage” done by prolonged uncertainty.

In a slump that the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) described as “extraordinary”, 70,971 vehicles rolled off the production lines in April, down 44.5% from 127,970 in the same month of last year.

Labour said the figures showed that the government’s “mishandling” of Brexit was already hurting carmakers, warning of further pain if the next Tory leader backs leaving the EU without a deal.

 

Yes. I agree.

Labour need to parachute in their A team to sort the UK car industry out

27JOWGVHAVBB7NPEKZZ7WBWWLI.jpg

Hes exactly the same - and year - of Cuntbyns industrail policy

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/voices/readers-letters/2017/11/16/red-robbo-ruined-british-leyland/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
man o' the year
24 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I’m in China regularly. Noticed a big move towards Japanese car brands in the past year.

I have not been to China but was in Japan last year. If China is going the same way as Japan with cars the type of cars produced by the UK (and the USA and Europe really) are completely unsuited to that market. The Japanese are buying tiny fuel efficient cars. Surprisingly at the moment they are not electric nor hybrid. We clearly stadn little chance of selling our cars there while they are looking for these by the million:

 

2787154_mdl_75bbe94b.jpg.f6dd5bf6e6785f95afd4c97b101107a8.jpg1786208897_1200px-Honda_N-BOX_Custom_GL_Turbo_Honda_SENSING_(DBA-JF3)_front.thumb.jpg.bbb09476a315f4dedce03b3d9f1d05b5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/05/2019 at 07:56, spygirl said:

Yes. I agree.

Labour need to parachute in their A team to sort the UK car industry out

27JOWGVHAVBB7NPEKZZ7WBWWLI.jpg

Hes exactly the same - and year - of Cuntbyns industrail policy

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/voices/readers-letters/2017/11/16/red-robbo-ruined-british-leyland/

 

We really do need to work out how to export our industrial policy from the 1970's -- if we could only get China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and the USA to follow our lead we'd be world beaters once again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, man o' the year said:

I have not been to China but was in Japan last year. If China is going the same way as Japan with cars the type of cars produced by the UK (and the USA and Europe really) are completely unsuited to that market. The Japanese are buying tiny fuel efficient cars. Surprisingly at the moment they are not electric nor hybrid. We clearly stadn little chance of selling our cars there while they are looking for these by the million:

 

2787154_mdl_75bbe94b.jpg.f6dd5bf6e6785f95afd4c97b101107a8.jpg1786208897_1200px-Honda_N-BOX_Custom_GL_Turbo_Honda_SENSING_(DBA-JF3)_front.thumb.jpg.bbb09476a315f4dedce03b3d9f1d05b5.jpg

I wish they sold these in this country. If they were priced at say £6000-8000 they would sell loads!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

man o' the year
2 hours ago, Errol said:

I wish they sold these in this country. If they were priced at say £6000-8000 they would sell loads!

Even allowing for Japan larger population (127 million compared to 67 million for UK ) the car sales figures look impressive compared to ours:

 

japan car sales.JPG

december-2018-best-sellers_carsuk.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bedrag Justesen
On 30/05/2019 at 07:56, spygirl said:

 

27JOWGVHAVBB7NPEKZZ7WBWWLI.jpg

27JOWGVHAVBB7NPEKZZ7WBWWLI.jpg

Hes exactly the same - and year - of Cuntbyns industrail policy

Workers in Bridgend paid £40k with some on £100k.

Taking into account pensions workers are far more expensive than Mexico.

Like teachers they have found the limit of what they can expect to be paid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Workers in Bridgend paid £40k with some on £100k.

Taking into account pensions workers are far more expensive than Mexico.

Like teachers they have found the limit of what they can expect to be paid.

You can see why the car industry is popular with unions, the population and the Pols - you have a large, well paying org that, traditional/unionised, paid good money to mainly blokes with a limited education. Sure, the production process has become more complex since the BL days, but, robots n all, you still get all the training on job.

In the US, car company paid big money and chucked in pension and healthcare, v expensive.

You can also see why the moving the factories and automating as much as possible is popular with the carcos. Due to severla decades of the first paragraph, the margin on cars is skinny as fuck.

And, down to egos in the boards and cheering on by Pols (see Renault), there is huge oversupply of car capacity esp. in Europe, where Pols, for various reasons, have decided cars/ICE are bad.

Going ahead, the reality/sanity is - there;l be a lot less car workers, people have to drive cars less but they are useful, labour is going to arbed.

Of course getting the inte5rsted parties to accept that, be they workers, unions, Pols or car drivers is going to fun.

And, while all these siemic chages and whatnot go on, the public sector still operates like its 1955 .... throwing popel at problems, not sacking anyone, printing paper.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...