DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UK Dentists (Rant)

I know we've done Doctors..   just wanted to share my dentist experience and see if this is a typical indictment of UK health services or if I've just been unlucky.

September last year.. tried to get on the books of my local (NHS) dentist to get my teeth checked (never managed to).

November,  after a few days of incredible dental pain I eventually convinced a telephone operative to let me see an emergency dentist 30 miles away.  I went there and was told my teeth looked perfect but to take Ibuprofen for the pain and some antibiotics in case I had an infection. Advised to see my dentist ( hah! )  and get a routine check up if the pain didn't go on its own.

After a week of indescribable pain it suddenly stopped.  But my tooth still didn't feel right so I gave up on the NHS and managed to find a private dentist. 

Got an appointment for late Jan..   was told the tooth in question looked fine but would need a filling..   booked back in for a filling in Feb.

Went back in February..   while filling (the WRONG tooth),  I was told "oh,  the one next to this is completely split in half..  I'll patch it for now,  but it will probably need to completely come out"

Now booked back in next week.. and since the tooth is now widely split down the middle I'm very much expecting being asked to go back for the extraction.

The question to the forum is,  if you were in my position,  would you trust any of these guys to open a can of beans,  let alone pull your teeth out and subsequently probably want to perform very intricate and expensive surgery on a replacement..  or would you get a second opinion,  and if so where?

Currently I'm thinking of putting the whole thing off and going to see my wife's family dentist in Latin America who is genuinely really good.  The problem is,  I'm probably not going there for another year, and I'm not sure how sensible it is to have an open wound/tooth for that long.

What would you do ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After moving home recently I found it difficult to find a NHS dentist that was accepting new patients. Eventually found one that had recently opened in a less than salubrious area on the edge of a rou

GPs are basically failed Doctors and Dentists are basically failed GPs. Whatever your opinion of Doctors is, your opinion of Dentists must necessarily be significantly lower.

Dentist should have took an xray.  

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I know we've done Doctors..   just wanted to share my dentist experience and see if this is a typical indictment of UK health services or if I've just been unlucky.

September last year.. tried to get on the books of my local (NHS) dentist to get my teeth checked (never managed to).

November,  after a few days of incredible dental pain I eventually convinced a telephone operative to let me see an emergency dentist 30 miles away.  I went there and was told my teeth looked perfect but to take Ibuprofen for the pain and some antibiotics in case I had an infection. Advised to see my dentist ( hah! )  and get a routine check up if the pain didn't go on its own.

After a week of indescribable pain it suddenly stopped.  But my tooth still didn't feel right so I gave up on the NHS and managed to find a private dentist. 

Got an appointment for late Jan..   was told the tooth in question looked fine but would need a filling..   booked back in for a filling in Feb.

Went back in February..   while filling (the WRONG tooth),  I was told "oh,  the one next to this is completely split in half..  I'll patch it for now,  but it will probably need to completely come out"

Now booked back in next week.. and since the tooth is now widely split down the middle I'm very much expecting being asked to go back for the extraction.

The question to the forum is,  if you were in my position,  would you trust any of these guys to open a can of beans,  let alone pull your teeth out and subsequently probably want to perform very intricate and expensive surgery on a replacement..  or would you get a second opinion,  and if so where?

Currently I'm thinking of putting the whole thing off and going to see my wife's family dentist in Latin America who is genuinely really good.  The problem is,  I'm probably not going there for another year, and I'm not sure how sensible it is to have an open wound/tooth for that long.

What would you do ?

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

What would you do ?

Go abroad if you can. There are plenty of high-class clinics operating at the end of an Easyjet/Ryanair flight, Hungary and Romania have them.

UK dentistry standards very low and known in Europe to be so. (This from both a Swiss and a Romanian dentist)

You can get some x-rays in the UK, do the assessment online and set up a programme of all that needs to be done, fly out and bingo. It'll probably cost about the same overall but will be done properly.

6 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

They did..

To be honest I think that was the problem..   I could feel the crack with my tongue,  but because it was across the plane of the X-ray it wasn't obvious in the scan.  I'm sure if I could feel it,  they must have been able to see it if they had actually looked closely.

To be clear,  don't blame them for the problem..  but the fact none of them were able to identify the issue or even seem particularly competent I'm reluctant to get any really intrusive work done here,  but I'm not really sure what options I have.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

UK dentistry standards very low and known in Europe to be so. (This from both a Swiss and a Romanian dentist)

You can get some x-rays in the UK, do the assessment online and set up a programme of all that needs to be done, fly out and bingo. It'll probably cost about the same overall but will be done properly.

Interesting..  and broadly I agree.

I know my wife's dentist was very scathing of the quality of the fillings she'd had done in the UK.  She won't get any work done here now unless she has to.

The thing I'm cautious of is going abroad to a random dentist and them not being any better.   I'm just not sure if I can/should wait a year to see one that I know is very good and I would trust to do the work.

You need to find a good private dentist, sounds like the one you found is incompetent filling the wrong tooth. A few years back OH needed front tooth repaired he went back to the NHS dentist about 4 times each time the work they did cracked off within a week. The original fix he had done in Singapore lasted 20 years. Eventually found a good private dentist who fixed it properly and has been fine for a few years now. I can recommend him if you are near Kent/Sussex?

Good private dentists in the UK are very expensive so swissy's option may be cheaper.

The whole "British teeth" thing is real. Having lived in the US and Canada I can confirm that the quality and quantity of dental care in North America is far higher. I think that's likely because many people have coverage for dental work as part of benefits packages with their work.

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Interesting..  and broadly I agree.

I know my wife's dentist was very scathing of the quality of the fillings she'd had done in the UK.  She won't get any work done here now unless she has to.

The thing I'm cautious of is going abroad to a random dentist and them not being any better.   I'm just not sure if I can/should wait a year to see one that I know is very good and I would trust to do the work.

I can give you the names of some reputable ones in Toronto :)

Going to dentists is so last century. Get a vice grip and a 3lb hammer - sort it out yourself*.

*DYOR, I am not a healthcare professional. If you’re foolish enough to follow advice from random strangers on the internet, please pm me and we can discuss investment opportunities.

https://goo.gl/images/vWSzbJ

12 minutes ago, maudit said:

You need to find a good private dentist, sounds like the one you found is incompetent filling the wrong tooth. A few years back OH needed front tooth repaired he went back to the NHS dentist about 4 times each time the work they did cracked off within a week. The original fix he had done in Singapore lasted 20 years. Eventually found a good private dentist who fixed it properly and has been fine for a few years now. I can recommend him if you are near Kent/Sussex?

North West unfortunately,  but thanks for the recommendation.

12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

The whole "British teeth" thing is real. Having lived in the US and Canada I can confirm that the quality and quantity of dental care in North America is far higher. I think that's likely because many people have coverage for dental work as part of benefits packages with their work.

I can give you the names of some reputable ones in Toronto :)

Thanks..  was hoping for something slightly closer but I'm sure Canada is nice at this time of year :)

10 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Going to dentists is so last century. Get a vice grip and a 3lb hammer - sort it out yourself*.

When it started properly playing up at the end of last year I was very close to the point of doing that myself with a pair of mole grips..  there is nothing quite so exquisite as dental pain.

Fortunately the emergency dentist was able to recommend me a couple of ibuprofen a day so then the searing agony became absolutely no problem at all  9_9

After moving home recently I found it difficult to find a NHS dentist that was accepting new patients. Eventually found one that had recently opened in a less than salubrious area on the edge of a rough estate. The check up and routine x-ray found a previously filled tooth that he claimed needed drilling out again and refilling, possibly a root canal. I had no pain whatsoever. I never went back. The next dentist I went to gave me a thorough check and a new x-ray and mentioned nothing about that tooth. Said my teeth were in decent condition. Half of them are incompetent, and the other half dangerous shysters. I fucking hate them. 

I've moved house a lot and consequently have had lots of different NHS dentists. Some are appallingly shit, not interested in their work and just trying to scam extra money for cleaning or whitening. However, I've had a couple of really good ones too who really care and do a great job on the NHS. So maybe just try a few different NHS dentists, see if you can find one who's good. Unlike GPs I don't think dentists have a catchment area, so you can register at any dentist who is taking on patients

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I am paying good money! She only does private. Which now makes it sound sort of kinky.

So you pay big money for a woman dressed as a dentist to rub her big tits up against your head....I'd  double check this is actually a dentist your going to ;)

(oh, and regardless of whether it is or not, keep going cause it sounds like marvelous fun!)

I've had the same NHS dentist for a few years and she is good, but to be fair she is the first one who has actually taken an interest in the long term management of my teeth rather than just giving them a cursory check up. She diagnosed me with Bruxism which every other dentist had failed to do - they kept saying I must be drinking loads of cola because my teeth were eroding and I kept telling them I never drink the bloody stuff after seeing what it does to rusty machine parts!

Edited by Austin Allegro
3 hours ago, Libspero said:

What would you do ?

Did the first one take xrays?
Has the second one broken the tooth? 

Some of them are dangerous nobheads.

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Did the first one take xrays?
Has the second one broken the tooth? 

Some of them are dangerous nobheads.

Emergency dentist gave them a cursory glance and prescribed ibuprofen.

Second one didn't brake it because I could already feel it was broken when I went in.  They did completely miss the fact it was broken and decided to fill the one next to it (which I have no reason to believe needed any work)..  and not until filling it did they realise the one next to it (that I told them was the tooth to look at in the first place) was broken.

They haven't done any harm.. they've just generally been a bit crap.   If I need some major work doing I'm not sure I want them anywhere near me..  it's purely a confidence thing :/

Edit to add..   I guess if they had actually spotted in in November it might have been possible while it was still a crack rather than a full split..  but that's somewhat speculative.

Edited by Libspero