• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Posted (edited)

I keep seeing adverts for one after another. My suspicion is they have made too many and now have to lease/sell them. I can see they are practical, but they are not "proper" cars, and probably don't go off road too well. IMHO, they are fucking bland. Also they are not cheap.

Edited by MrPin

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I keep seeing adverts for one after another. My suspicion is they have made too many and now have to lease/sell them. I can see they are practical, but they are not "proper" cars, and probably don't go off road too well. IMHO, they are fucking bland. Also they are not cheap.

Don't understand the appeal.

They drive badly on the road, too high a centre of gravity. They consume more fuel because they're not aerodynamic. They tip over more easily in accidents. Most are crap off road, a few exceptions. All this just to sit up a bit higher and take part in the "Look at Me" vehicular arms race. 

Misogyny on my part perhaps but most people I know who think these cars are good are women.

I have a Land Rover Discovery. Why?

1. Wife, 4 kids and dog, so space is a premium.

2. Shropshire Council maintains my main road like it was somewhere in the Helmand red zone.

3. The local yokels tear along said road like it was Silverstone causing frequent crashes and forcing me on to lanes so poor that the main road looks good.

4. I am in the produce sector and frequently have travel farm tracks and park in fields.

5. It pisses off my SJW neighbours.

For not much more monthly you can drive around looking down on people in normal cars.

Why have a Corsa, when you can have a Corsa on stilts, a Mokka ?

You don't even need the sophistication of all-wheel drive. You can have a nice simple front-wheel drive which other Mums will think is a real SUV.

A higher driving position has the advantage for women that they can see the accident they are going to have before they get there. This gives them more time to brace themselves for impact.

1 minute ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

2. Shropshire Council maintains my main road like it was somewhere in the Helmand red zone.

3. The local yokels tear along said road like it was Silverstone causing frequent crashes and forcing me on to lanes so poor that the main road looks good.

4. I am in the produce sector and frequently have travel farm tracks and park in fields.

Thankyou for sharing. I have no wife, kids or dogs, and rarely have to drive on a zero tarmac situation.

5 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don't understand the appeal.

They drive badly on the road, too high a centre of gravity. They consume more fuel because they're not aerodynamic. They tip over more easily in accidents. Most are crap off road, a few exceptions. All this just to sit up a bit higher and take part in the "Look at Me" vehicular arms race. 

Misogyny on my part perhaps but most people I know who think these cars are good are women.

I think it is designed to sell for women.

I have one because it was the only PHEV available at the time within our company car allowance.

They are ok if you don't mind driving a tank and the relatively awful fuel economy.

2 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

the honda crv up to 2007 seemed to be built like a tank, loads of them still on the roads, tempted to get one to better negotiate the bits between the potholes

I was told at auction once one of the old Toyota diesel engine sizes was good and the other was a bit of a liability, cannot remember which and whether it was even CRV specific.

I like SUV style for higher up driving position too and good visibility out the back as they tend to be more glass heavy that other models, especially for towing.

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I was told at auction once one of the old Toyota diesel engine sizes was good and the other was a bit of a liability, cannot remember which and whether it was even CRV specific.

I like SUV style for higher up driving position too and good visibility out the back as they tend to be more glass heavy that other models, especially for towing.

I like vans, when I rent one, as I am so high up. I can look down on Range Rovers.

28 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

I'm assuming pin meant a fake suv or crossover, none of these apply there ...

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I like vans, when I rent one, as I am so high up. I can look down on Range Rovers.

Me too, unfortunately mine is going to have to go to fund building works and extension. In fact cleaning and prepping it now on the drive. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I like vans I once shook off a police traffic BMW 5 series in a Renault Master probably couldn't have in a Range Rover. Still wouldn't want to do a thousand miles a week up and down the motorways in a van though or leave a jam up the slip road embankment in one.

Edited by SNACR

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I like vans I once shook off a police traffic BMW 5 series in a Renault Master probably couldn't have in a Range Rover. Still wouldn't want to do a thousand miles a week up and down the motorways in a van though or leave a jam up the slip road embankment in one.

Did you give the unfortunates their "Blue Circle Overcoat", or was it a mobile cannabis factory?

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Did you give the unfortunates their "Blue Circle Overcoat", or was it a mobile cannabis factory?

Needed to get to the takeaway before it closed so a properly justified defcon 1 event.

It was fully liveried so they turned up at the office the next day but luckily I spotted them coming into the car park and intercepted them at reception before one of the cherished staff could helpfully assist them with their enquiries. I went through the motions of conducting a thorough investigation where it was concluded there was a selection of agency drivers that could have been behind the wheel (whilst desperately trying to keep a straight face as the voice inside my head repeatedly yelled 'it was me, it was me aha ha ha ha')

I quite like fashion in cars; so long as you only want to drive 'something nice', there's always something that was fashionable 5-10 years ago (=lots of them) but is unfashionable now (=low price).

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I quite like fashion in cars; so long as you only want to drive 'something nice', there's always something that was fashionable 5-10 years ago (=lots of them) but is unfashionable now (=low price).

There's always Option5's lovely Hillman Hunter GT.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

What were you thinking of as, trendy at the time, ten year old Range Rover Sports still make £15k despite being less than £50k new?

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I suppose they appeal to many people who want to appear well off but aren’t really.

It’s like a competition who has the best and newest car.....private number plates come in handy there because then no one knows if it’s new or over 5 etc years old!

Lots of SUV’s around my town but I strongly suspect that most are on those lease things where the vehicle is never owned by the majority. Monthly payments!

Like you Mr Pin I drive an older vehicle (1998 reg) that suits me and I have no desire to impress anyone. I DGAF what anyone thinks of my vehicle because I love it and what it allows me to do. Be thankful for that way of thinking IMO!

Posted (edited)

I always liked the basic ones they had in the US like the Chevy Blazer

Chevy-Blazer-Generations-gear-patrol-fb.

In the US they are a base model / first car thing whereas over here they're "aspirational" cars.

I like the simplicity of something like the Blazer but find our 4x4s / SUVs a tad blingy for my taste.

Edited by Frank Hovis

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

I imagine it would have been CRV specific. Cripple Honda by supplying them with dodgy engines. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I always liked the basic ones they had in the US like the Chevy Blazer

Chevy-Blazer-Generations-gear-patrol-fb.

In the US they are a base model / first car thing whereas over here they're "aspirational" cars.

I like the simplicity of something like the Blazer but find our 4x4s / SUVs a tad blingy for my taste.

Remember an SUV used to be a 'Sports Utility Vehicle'  just like the one above, now they are plastic blinged up bog standard cars renamed 'Sporty Urban Vehicle' that are about as tough as a Chinese takeaway container.

With the most blatantly piss taking one being this.

No way is that a 2 man Canadian, although it gives that impression.

Suzuki-Ignis-Water-Activity-Concept-unve

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I'd say every advert is for a SUV. You might see the odd Suzuki Swift, but mostly it's for bigger cars.

I think they have made too many. Maybe 300m too many (I made that bit up), but car demand from one of the worlds biggest buyers is, well has eased off the gas.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/even-china-can-t-solve-carmakers-growth-problem?srnd=markets-vp

Even China Can’t Solve Carmakers’ Growth Problem

While auto sales will continue to grow, they won’t return to the breakneck pace of the recent past

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

What were you thinking of as, trendy at the time, ten year old Range Rover Sports still make £15k despite being less than £50k new?

RRSport is still trendy.

The unloved cars at the moment are bigish saloons.  They've been unloved for a while, but there are still enough about for prices to be low.  I suppose you have to avoid BMW and Audi because people just like the badge atm*.

[* but even that is a fashion thing.  Fashion moves between brands over the years for very little reason]

Just now, dgul said:

RRSport is still trendy.

The unloved cars at the moment are bigish saloons.  They've been unloved for a while, but there are still enough about for prices to be low.  I suppose you have to avoid BMW and Audi because people just like the badge atm*.

[* but even that is a fashion thing.  Fashion moves between brands over the years for very little reason]

There was a V10 S6 5.2L at the auction tonight, caught the eye but the I thought what the tax and insurance would be, let alone the running cost.