• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Blades and Bows getting rid of stock

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I don't know the current details, but online shops selling blades, bow and arrows are getting rid of their stock as legislation is in the pipeline for banning online delivery of knives. This may be important to people who LARP and do war battles, do a bit of knife throwing in the garden at targets, or just hang them on the wall.

 

https://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/news-21-w.asp

31/1/2019
The check out has now been turned off and no more orders can be placed. 
We are taking roughly a month off as we need a break from 7 days a week, 16 hours a day of wrapping.
If the postage law has not changed by March we will re open the checkout to clear the remainder of our stock.
If you are on our mailing list we will shoot off an email if / when we open for the final stage of the
 End Of Days Sale. We have not got a set re opening date in mind at this time as we have a lot of warehouse organising and stock counting to do so keep an eye on your email for updates.
All the best and thank you for your business and support :)

04/01/2019
End of Days Sale

As many of you may already know, the UK Government (in its infinite wisdom) announced at the back end of 2017 that they were going to introduce legislation banning the delivery of bladed items with blades measuring over 3" to home addresses. 
We all know this will have zero effect on knife crime but the legislation has been slowly going through the legal process during the last year. No date has been given or any ultimate decision made so as a knife importer and retailer we have been left floating in limbo. 
Because of this we stopped importing goods around a year ago and have been slowly running our stocks down. A huge amount of our customers have their items delivered to their home so if the law changes as planned it will over night destroy internet web shops like ours. 
We feel whatever decision is made will happen in the first half of this year so we are making a final push to clear our remaining stocks. 
This 
does not mean we are definitely closing for ever but as we dare not place any large orders until we know what new hoops and loops we may have to jump through, we have to be financially sensible and prepare for the worst case scenario.
The 
End of Days Sale will run until the end of January 2019. At this point we will close down and sit in limbo until the Government makes its decision, as with dwindling stock levels and costs like wages / warehouse rent etc it's the only thing that makes financial sense. 
As I have said, this is not necessarily the end of Blades and Bows. If there is a legal way that we can carry on posting we will begin reordering ASAP. 
For you as the customer nothing is likely to change except you will not be able to order bladed items to your home. Your swords and knives will still be legal to own so we suggest you fill your boots and grab a bargain while you still can.
We are working through price changes as quickly as possible. If the item says End Of Days at the top of the description grab it now before its gone. Any item without this means we have not got to that product yet and the price may be reduced in the next few minutes / hours or days.

Happy New Year from all at Blades and Bows.

 
Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the video Mike. Your channel is one of the best in the weapons category . No bull shit and straight to the point . That's the kind of channel and reviews I like to watch. For now we will be closing and yes staff have been layed off :( Its been a fun 12 years online selling stuff I love. But the government has decided to fuck it all up. And we all know it will make sod all difference if they ban every knife in the country. Nasty little gangsa chavs will still stab each other and rob people because that's the kind of scum they are. when running at full strength we hold around 1 million quids worth of stock . Every container is 100k or more. If they ban home delivery (they are even saying your wife couldn`t accept your parcel if your at work ?) and we were running at full strength we would be well and truly fucked. So we are clearing everything that's left . See what pans out and then we will make our plans from there. Hopefully it will go our way and we can get back up and running later in the year. My hopes are not high though :( As our country is run by fools. Were currently swamped with orders , I`m just having a 10 min brake on a sunday evening before I go and get wrapping again to try and catch up . We will add more things to the sale when we clear the currant back log , hopefully by the end of this week . We are going to shut the website for the whole of Feb for a rest then probably open for a few weeks in March to tidy up whats left . All the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting I just ordered half a dozen of my favourite Leatherman model, a few days ago, after I spotted they were £80 each cheaper than I had ever seen them before wonder if this is why- I did contact the site first to check it wasn't a mistake as didn't want to put the order through only for them to refund if it was an error. Got 7.5% cashback on it as well, after being introduced to that on here, almost didn't bother searching for the site on there as such a niche one but was on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Those look like terrorist manuals to me.

15 years in jail for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having perused the merchandise on that bloke's website I'm not necessarily sure it's some nanny state travesty thing him going out of business.

Have a look at this bloke they pull over on his bike here. They find some nunchucks on him and you think bit harsh he only seems like one of many harmless martial arts obsessed weirdos

Well, I'II freely admit from that exchange I grossly underestimated how potentially dangerous he was - he's doing life now for killing his landlord with a crossbow - don't know if anyone on TOS posted less around that time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2473692/Russell-Gill-shot-man-doorstep-crossbow-jailed-life.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just brush up on traditional skills as part of a new arts 'n' craft movement.

Would recommend some Damascus steel to do a top-notch job.

Helped daughter make a damascus ring - machined it out of damascus rod from ebay which would have been enough for 10 of them probably, less than £20 iirc, bargain, turned out a treat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Cavemen manged to make weapons without too much trouble. Even your local chav can easily make a sharp knife from just about any bit of steel.

What next, banning bamboo in case someone makes a pointy stick?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Having perused the merchandise on that bloke's website I'm not necessarily sure it's some nanny state travesty thing him going out of business.

Have a look at this bloke they pull over on his bike here. They find some nunchucks on him and you think bit harsh he only seems like one of many harmless martial arts obsessed weirdos

Well, I'II freely admit from that exchange I grossly underestimated how potentially dangerous he was - he's doing life now for killing his landlord with a crossbow - don't know if anyone on TOS posted less around that time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2473692/Russell-Gill-shot-man-doorstep-crossbow-jailed-life.html

 

I'm quite liberal and all for freedom, but that guy clearly is not the full ticket and is danger to us all - as proved by him killing someone.

I'm curious to know why people turn out that way? Not making excuses, but I wonder if he lived in a toxic environment as a child?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, null; said:

Cavemen manged to make weapons without too much trouble. Even your local chav can easily make a sharp knife from just about any bit of steel.

What next, banning bamboo in case someone makes a pointy stick?

 

Tough shit Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article that has a blade or is sharply pointed.

I love these catch all definitons.

Section 139A extends the geographical scope of these offences to school premises.

Section 139AA relates to an offence of threatening with an article with a blade, a point or an offensive weapon.

It is therefore illegal to carry anything in public that can be perceived as an offensive weapon, even if you’re not behaving in a threatening manner and don’t plan to use it.

It isn’t illegal in the UK to own a knife in private, like the bread knife in your kitchen. However, if any knife is used in a threatening way in a private environment such as your house, it becomes an offensive weapon.

So Bamboo is already banned as it can be perceived as an offensive weapon.

A Biro 0.5mm ball is a deadly weapon, even worse if you are brandishing it on school premises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Tough shit Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article that has a blade or is sharply pointed.

I love these catch all definitons.

Section 139A extends the geographical scope of these offences to school premises.

Section 139AA relates to an offence of threatening with an article with a blade, a point or an offensive weapon.

It is therefore illegal to carry anything in public that can be perceived as an offensive weapon, even if you’re not behaving in a threatening manner and don’t plan to use it.

It isn’t illegal in the UK to own a knife in private, like the bread knife in your kitchen. However, if any knife is used in a threatening way in a private environment such as your house, it becomes an offensive weapon.

So Bamboo is already banned as it can be perceived as an offensive weapon.

A Biro 0.5mm ball is a deadly weapon, even worse if you are brandishing it on school premises.

Yes, spot on.

Anything pointy is illegal in a public place unless you can prove you had reason for it.

Note as well that the legislation refers to bladed or pointed - so not limited to knives.

EDIT - just to make this clear, a bladed or pointed article in public is illegal (except for small folding pockets knives) - that is the default position. It's illegal unless you can prove one of the available defenses.

Edited by null;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody here know Birmingham? When I worked for Flymo we used to buy blades from Martindales in Aston. Wonderful sprawling old factory; they also made bowie knives and all kinds of scary sharp stuff. I wonder if they are still going? I could Google but don't want to have the inevitable confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can go to B&Q or any hardware store and find some amazingly sharp tools 

industrial scraper £4:99 comes with 3 spare blades 

practically a tomahawk in the wrong hands 

what a croc of snivelling ukgov dogshit. 

i'm going to order another katana from 9circles

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have walked around major rail stations and city centres with an ice axe on the outside of my rucksack, got no interest whatsoever from Plod, and I do live some distance from anywhere an ice axe is required PPE. Once saw a bloke approach the ticket office in Fort William station brandishing an ice axe and nobody batted an eyelid

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Panther said:

I have walked around major rail stations and city centres with an ice axe on the outside of my rucksack, got no interest whatsoever from Plod, and I do live some distance from anywhere an ice axe is required PPE. Once saw a bloke approach the ticket office in Fort William station brandishing an ice axe and nobody batted an eyelid

Go to 6.58.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, eight said:

Anybody here know Birmingham? When I worked for Flymo we used to buy blades from Martindales in Aston. Wonderful sprawling old factory; they also made bowie knives and all kinds of scary sharp stuff. I wonder if they are still going? I could Google but don't want to have the inevitable confirmed.

The factory is now, of course, flats, but the good news is the business and manufacturing is still going and moved to Willenhall, and their Web site is completely on trend and ironically retro: http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk

Edited by The Idiocrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, null; said:

Yes, spot on.

Anything pointy is illegal in a public place unless you can prove you had reason for it.

Note as well that the legislation refers to bladed or pointed - so not limited to knives.

EDIT - just to make this clear, a bladed or pointed article in public is illegal (except for small folding pockets knives) - that is the default position. It's illegal unless you can prove one of the available defenses.

I better buy some nipple covers then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

The factory is now, of course, flats, but the good news is the business and manufacturing is still going and moved to Willenhall, and their Web site is completely on trend and ironically retro: http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk

Great stuff. Shame about the factory. Walking amidst (mostly) massive black blokes bantering in thick brummie accents whilst grinding edges on machetes in dingy Victorian surroundings was quite an intoxicating experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Tough shit Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article that has a blade or is sharply pointed.

I love these catch all definitons.

Section 139A extends the geographical scope of these offences to school premises.

Section 139AA relates to an offence of threatening with an article with a blade, a point or an offensive weapon.

It is therefore illegal to carry anything in public that can be perceived as an offensive weapon, even if you’re not behaving in a threatening manner and don’t plan to use it.

It isn’t illegal in the UK to own a knife in private, like the bread knife in your kitchen. However, if any knife is used in a threatening way in a private environment such as your house, it becomes an offensive weapon.

So Bamboo is already banned as it can be perceived as an offensive weapon.

A Biro 0.5mm ball is a deadly weapon, even worse if you are brandishing it on school premises.

A blunt hickory walking stick;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.