• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

For Cod’ Sake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6762125/Whitby-residents-hit-plans-22nd-chip-shop-seaside-town.html

With visitors known to queue in the streets waiting for a table, it is fair to say that fish and chips are taken very seriously in Whitby.

But it seems locals in Britain’s unofficial chip shop capital have had enough of the frying frenzy.

When news spread that the town’s three-storey NatWest bank building was to be converted into a 180-seat fish and chip chain restaurant, a rebellion ensued.

Residents were so angry that another takeaway was to open that 486 members of the small community wrote to Scarborough Council to object to the plans.

They complained that ‘Whitby did not need another fish and chip shop’ and there was a demand for ‘something different’.

The new restaurant, which has been approved by the council, will compete with 21 other chip shops in the town centre including the famed Magpie Cafe, which opened in 1939, and is renowned for its queues. It will also come up against Trenchers, which was named Best in the UK in its category in January. If that was not enough, other seafood restaurants in the area include The Star Inn The Harbour, opened by Michelin-starred chef Andrew Pern in 2017.

There's an interesting side story with this.

Its rumoured its papas - it might be it might not be.

Papas is a small time chippy from down South (nham or skeggy) who have opened up loads - and I mean loads of shops - in the last 5 years.

I had a look. They are getting their money from Bank of Cyrus whove recenly had to give up uk banking license.

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

is Whitby skewing the obesity statistics for the east yorkshire ?

so 21 fish and chip shops ok, but 22 ohhh nooo

Err . North

Threes no such thing as East Yorkshire - 3 ridings +Ull

1 minute ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

Now, other than onesy, who can spot nana spys old FnC shop?

Where a suave 2yo spy used to sit in his pram and be mobbed by wimmin.

everyone loves a baby uglier than their own

28 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

is Whitby skewing the obesity statistics for the east yorkshire ?

so 21 fish and chip shops ok, but 22 ohhh nooo

It’s the lack of shops in which to buy things. Like clothes and butter. This used to be a bank. I have to go to scabby to pay a check in

10 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Trenchers voted the best? What a joke. 

Chippies on Whitby front are all shite and vastly over rated. 

Much better the further inland you go ironically. 

That's a general rule though; chippies away from the tourist trail are going to offer better value as they're competing on quality and value rather than location.  I have two favoured ones in Cornwall both serving excellent big portions and I doubt they have ever seen a tourist.

That's not to say that the sea front ones are rubbish, some of them are very good, but you can automatically add £2 - £3 for each portion.

As the only takeaway food I ever eat is fish and chips I think you can't have too many of them :)

15 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Trenchers voted the best? What a joke. 

Chippies on Whitby front are all shite and vastly over rated. 

Much better the further inland you go ironically. 

Silver street. Where all the locals go. 

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

That's a general rule though; chippies away from the tourist trail are going to offer better value as they're competing on quality and value rather than location.  I have two favoured ones in Cornwall both serving excellent big portions and I doubt they have ever seen a tourist.

That's not to say that the sea front ones are rubbish, some of them are very good, but you can automatically add £2 - £3 for each portion.

As the only takeaway food I ever eat is fish and chips I think you can't have too many of them :)

Wasn't even thinking along price lines on this one Frank. Merely the quality and taste.

Always laughed at people queuing to get in the Magpie. 

I did find a nice chippy on Scabbi front last year though. 

Just now, One percent said:

It’s the lack of shops in which to buy things. Like clothes and butter. This used to be a bank. I have to go to scabby to pay a check in

That's pretty much everywhere now though; you and your Americanisms.  I bet you say "Can I get.." as well :P

Post Offices are stepping into the breach nicely for paying in CHEQUES which makes sense and may be the saving grace for the Post Offices.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's pretty much everywhere now though; you and your Americanisms.  I bet you say "Can I get.." as well :P

Post Offices are stepping into the breach nicely for paying in CHEQUES which makes sense and may be the saving grace for the Post Offices.

I do not :P have, can I have....

pits early and I’m a bit hungover. That’s my excuse. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

you can get a mini fish meal near me for 2.30 and that includes peas.

Just now, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Wasn't even thinking along price lines on this one Frank. Merely the quality and taste.

Maybe it's a different market here.  I liked Rick Stein's fish and chips but don't like the price; I also prefer the traditional way whereas those shops do them slightly differently - drier, herbs.

There's a very nice one in Looe, Kelly's, where I occasionally have a sit down fish and chips but the prices are pretty steep.

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

you can get a mini fish meal near me for 2.30 and that includes peas.

I refuse to move to Stoke.

I'm moving to Wrexham instead.

ES-WETHER-BURGER-NEWv2.jpg?w=960

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There's one in Porthcawl that has signs up about being award winning. Ordered there once and I winced when they told me how much - OK, but nothing special IMPO. Never again.

Next time in Porthcawl walked around corner - mere yards - to a chippy that made far better fish & chips IMPO and cheaper. That was the one with a long queue outside.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe it's a different market here.  I liked Rick Stein's fish and chips but don't like the price; I also prefer the traditional way whereas those shops do them slightly differently - drier, herbs.

There's a very nice one in Looe, Kelly's, where I occasionally have a sit down fish and chips but the prices are pretty steep.

I refuse to move to Stoke.

I'm moving to Wrexham instead.

ES-WETHER-BURGER-NEWv2.jpg?w=960

That’s a very odd map.  Westborough?  On the Yorkshire coast?  It’s in Lincolnshire 

Can't see the problem really and certainly can't see how meddling and putting a less viable business in only to have an empty bank again twelve months down the line.

So in Whitby, unlike most other towns in the country, they've got a booming little industry sector but still they piss and moan.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Can't see the problem really and certainly can't see how meddling and putting a less viable business in only to have an empty bank again twelve months down the line.

So in Whitby, unlike most other towns in the country, they've got a booming little industry sector but still they piss and moan.

The massive one being proposed for the old bank building is a chain so other than paying minimum wage to a few people to work there, the money will be sucked out of the town. No benefit to the town whatsoever 

14 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

One of the most hit and miss things going chip shops and they do seem to have fallen out of favour in a lot of parts of the country as a queue out the door is a rare sight these days anywhere.

Had some in Weston Super Mare the other week that were atrocious on the way out I saw a Mcds and kind of wish I'd gone there. You can see how the likes of Mcds and Dominos do so well they have the reliable middling consistency.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

The massive one being proposed for the old bank building is a chain so other than paying minimum wage to a few people to work there, the money will be sucked out of the town. No benefit to the town whatsoever 

True, but there has to be some sort of open market otherwise you get the risk pf all sorts  of cartels forming, who is to say that the existing chip shop owners would not band together to prevent anyone else (big or small) from opening up another shop.