• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Fuck Google. Ask me.

I thought we could share random facts here that could actually be useful.

1. The week of manufacture is stamped on car tyres. You see "DOT" then a box with four figures in it. The figures refer to the week and year of manufacture.

2. The fuel gauge on cars has a small arrow on it which shows the side of the car with the fuel cap.

This is going to turn into Viz Top Tips, isn't it?

anyway if Great Guy is better than google ....... "Hey Great Guy. I like Sleaford Mods but my wife thinks they are shite. Who is right?"

This is the ideal place for posting a confirmation that a tip in another thread works when I can't find the thread.

You can sharpen disposable razors.

For me the great pleasure of this is getting maximum use out of something before throwing it away (hence why I have only had four cars; currently beaten by @Van Lady's three).

However you can also list amongst the advantages of this: reduce consumption and disposal of single use plastics, give less VAT to the government to waste, save money (though I couldn't actually tell you how much they cost).

The method shown was to strop the razor ten times against denim; first one way then ten the other.  This is sharpening so you are going so that the blades don't cut into the denim; and when going the other way you turn the razor so again you aren't cutting in.

You have to do this on a flat surface to avoid any edges and with a fairly coarse denim.

And: it works.

The guy in the video claimed two months on his current blade; though he had also used something like a whetstone. I am in my third week having sharpened it twice. Usually I would get a week or eight days out of a blade before it started dragging.

I have seen tips before from stropping the blade on your forearm to putting them under paper pyramids but this was the first I'd seen that looked like it would work and it certainly does.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is the ideal place for posting a confirmation that a tip in another thread works when I can't find the thread.

For me the great pleasure of this is getting maximum use out of something before throwing it away (hence why I have only had four cars; currently beaten by @Van Lady's three).

However you can also list amongst the advantages of this: reduce consumption and disposal of single use plastics, give less VAT to the government to waste, save money (though I couldn't actually tell you how much they cost).

The method shown was to strop the razor ten times against denim; first one way then ten the other.  This is sharpening so you are going so that the blades don't cut into the denim; and when going the other way you turn the razor so again you aren't cutting in.

You have to do this on a flat surface to avoid any edges and with a fairly coarse denim.

The guy in the video claimed two months on his current blade; though he had also used something like a whetstone. I am in my third week having sharpened it twice. Usually I would get a week or eight days out of a blade before it started dragging.

I have seen tips before from stropping the blade on your forearm to putting them under paper pyramids but this was the first I'd seen that looked like it would work and it certainly does.

I do it against the skin (leather) on my arm, again backwards so you aren't cutting. 10 quick strokes with reasonable pressure. It works too. A blade lasts 6 months at least.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Give up shaving and your blade will last even longer!

Pm if you need any more help with anything...

1 minute ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Give up shaving and your blade will last even longer!

Pm if you need any more help with anything...

Unless you're going the full homeless beard then you're going to have a care regime on it plus being on the look out for stray food particles.

This isn't a beardist post as some do look cool; but others signal general scruffiness.

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I thought we could share random facts here that could actually be useful.

1. The week of manufacture is stamped on car tyres. You see "DOT" then a box with four figures in it. The figures refer to the week and year of manufacture.

2. The fuel gauge on cars has a small arrow on it which shows the side of the car with the fuel cap.

3. The person who made the car tyre stamps her name just before the week of manufacture mark.

4. If you look under the flap over your fuel cap, you will see an indication of what side of the car the fuel gauge is on.

I was going to buy a British-made kettle until a mate told me it was much cheaper to buy one from Taiwan. 

Technically he was right but I was still out of pocket once you factor in the 750 quid air fare. 

(an actual Viz Letterbocks which sticks in my mind for some reason) 

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I was going to buy a British-made kettle until a mate told me it was much cheaper to buy one from Taiwan. 

Technically he was right but I was still out of pocket once you factor in the 750 quid air fare.

xD

If a picture paints a thousand words then why can't I paint you?

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I never had any luck with the denim method. Maybe I was doing it wrong. People say it works because the blades are unaffected by shaving (being much harder than your skin) but they clog up with grease etc and the denim wipes it off. Having failed with the denim method I tried soaking them in warm sodium hydroxide which definitely should degrease them. Still no improvement; when I tried leaving them in a stronger solution for longer the plastic actually fell to bits. 

Or better still get a decent double edged razor like your grandad had. It's not hard to actually learn how to shave using one. My pack of Supermax blades have so far lasted me over 5 years so far. Got a small metal bowl (pack of 2 for Indian chutneys bowls at the pound shop) and a badger hair brush. Bonus is no ingrowing hairs and not funding Gillette's virtue signalling advertising campaign. 

You know when it comes to empty the bins in the kitchen and you try to pull the black bag out only to bring the entire bin with it causing you to tap into new realms of profanity?

Drill a couple of holes at the base of the bin - not the bottom as this will cause bin-juice leakage. Doing this will break the vacuum in the bin and the bag will slide out easier than a greased fart.

You're most welcome.

Posted (edited)

Do not buy individual or small packs of socks. Throw away all your old socks and buy 40-50 identical pairs (I say pairs but they are usually the same anyway), armed with your stock of 80-100 identical socks, you will never again have to waste time on the unutterably tedious activity of matching up pairs.

Addendum for those cohabiting with a creature know as a woman - you may have to go half-and-half with black and brown ones to take account of this concept of "goes with ..." a woman-speak concept which I as a male dosbodder have no conception.

Edited by goldbug9999

26 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

You know when it comes to empty the bins in the kitchen and you try to pull the black bag out only to bring the entire bin with it causing you to tap into new realms of profanity?

Drill a couple of holes at the base of the bin - not the bottom as this will cause bin-juice leakage. Doing this will break the vacuum in the bin and the bag will slide out easier than a greased fart.

You're most welcome.

just hang a bag on hooks on the side of a cabinet, no bin juice and no vacuum misery 

33 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

You're most welcome.

Look at you with your fancy "bins" and your "black bags". I'm a true dosboder and use a carrier bag in the corner of the kitchen for rubbish.

28 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Do not buy individual or small packs of socks. Throw away all your old socks and buy 40-50 identical pairs (I say pairs but they are usually the same anyway), armed with your stock of 80-100 identical socks, you will never again have to waste time on the unutterably tedious activity of matching up pairs.

Addendum for those cohabiting with a creature know as a woman - you may have to go half-and-half with black and brown ones to take account of this concept of "goes with ..." a woman-speak concept which I as a male dosbodder have no conception.

Good idea.

Goldbug_Socks.thumb.jpg.508f71acc7fe9093f91380d0a14c1b45.jpg

56 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Or better still get a decent double edged razor like your grandad had. It's not hard to actually learn how to shave using one. My pack of Supermax blades have so far lasted me over 5 years so far. Got a small metal bowl (pack of 2 for Indian chutneys bowls at the pound shop) and a badger hair brush. Bonus is no ingrowing hairs and not funding Gillette's virtue signalling advertising campaign. 

I think I remember you mentioning this before when the subject got round to shaving. I had a look on aliexpress and there were some American ones "Qshave" are they any good? 

Must be suitable for clumsy/unlucky folks such as myself who razors just do not like. I swear I could cut myself with a carrot if I tried to shave with it. 

16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Look at you with your fancy "bins" and your "black bags". I'm a true dosboder and use a carrier bag in the corner of the kitchen for rubbish.

It's mainly to give the sprouts something to aim at when they occasionally decide to put their rubbish in the bin. 

My two year old would be all over a bag as well and would have it's contents scattered arseholes to breakfast. It's hard enough keeping her out of the bin, she's got a fascination with it.

About a billion quids worth of Peppa pig toys and other assorted shite and all she wants to do is stick her head in the farking kitchen bin. 

Kids...¬¬

26 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I do that lol

51 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I think I remember you mentioning this before when the subject got round to shaving. I had a look on aliexpress and there were some American ones "Qshave" are they any good? 

Must be suitable for clumsy/unlucky folks such as myself who razors just do not like. I swear I could cut myself with a carrot if I tried to shave with it. 

I don't think they are suitable for such.

I mentioned that I was considering trying them to my Dad, who had used them when they were the only razors available, and he said that the flexible headed disposables were much better.

I may still try them as I like traditional things but not in the expectation that they will be better.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

I always wear the same socks anyway; grey Pringle ankle socks from Boyes. An outrageous £7-odd for three pairs, but they do last ages.