• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Special Olympics

I have no particular point to make on this but as there is an Olympics for the physically disabled in the Paralympics there is one for those with learning difficulties (I don't like the phrase but people know what it covers) in the Special Olympics.

Despite it being international and having been going for fifty years I hadn't even heard of it until this week.

It doesn't receive the coverage and funding that the Paralympics receives and competitors and their families have to raise £2,500 themselves to go.

It seems odd that the Paralympics has gone from nowhere to receiving widespread coverage and funding whilst the equally longstanding Special Olympics has been so ignored that I first heard of it this week.

Anyway, just passing on a bit of knowledge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Olympics

Tbh, I don't really get the point of disabled olympics. I dont see the point of watching people play sport when they're not going to be particularly good at it. Yeah, I get the point they've worked hard at it etc. However lots of people work hard at hobbies etc...

If I wanted to watch crap sportsmen I might as well go down the local 5 a side pitch.

37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have no particular point to make on this but as there is an Olympics for the physically disabled in the Paralympics there is one for those with learning difficulties (I don't like the phrase but people know what it covers) in the Special Olympics.

Despite it being international and having been going for fifty years I hadn't even heard of it until this week.

It doesn't receive the coverage and funding that the Paralympics receives and competitors and their families have to raise £2,500 themselves to go.

It seems odd that the Paralympics has gone from nowhere to receiving widespread coverage and funding whilst the equally longstanding Special Olympics has been so ignored that I first heard of it this week.

Anyway, just passing on a bit of knowledge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Olympics

Could they make this today?

15 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, I don't really get the point of disabled olympics. I dont see the point of watching people play sport when they're not going to be particularly good at it. Yeah, I get the point they've worked hard at it etc. However lots of people work hard at hobbies etc...

If I wanted to watch crap sportsmen I might as well go down the local 5 a side pitch.

It's for the participants IMO; it gives somebody with limited opportunities the chance to train and aim for something.  Which I like.

I agree that I won't watch it either but my interest in sport has significantly narrowed over the years.  I took zero interest in the wall to wall coverage of the London Olympics (the able bodied ones) so I'm hardly going to be watching the Special Olympics.

I'm really only interested in watching football these days (live and televised), a bit of boxing (televised), banger racing and horse racing (both live).

Even my football interest has narrowed as the influx of money into the Premier League has wrecked the top divsion for me with all the foreign players.   Twenty years' ago I could have named at least half a dozen players in each of the big Premier League teams and now, with the exception of those with England national team players like Spurs and Man Utd where I know those players because of England games, I usually am lucky to recognise a single name when I see the odd televised game.  I really am not bothered whether a team of international players wearing a Man City strip beats a team of international players wearing a Liverpool strip.  These big teams have sold their souls for money and become brands.  It's not LIverpool v Man City in anything other than name and stadium location these days so why get excited about it? Also it goes without saying that women's football isn't even on my radar.

My OP was really to flag up how in all the noise about the Paralympics this other Olympics has been ignored; possibly owing to the way that disabilities you can see elicit more sympathy than disabilities that you can't.

I'm not suggesting that anybody "ought" to watch it or take an interest in it; watch what you want to watch.

A colleague used to have a big spectating interest in hockey (rather than a vested interest, related to a player or coached it) and used to take her whole family up to the National Hockey Stadium for big games which they all loved.  It never rated a mention on the news but she wasn't bothered as they all enjoyed it.

I was cycling last weekend and came up behind one of those disabled wheelchair athletes. Huge arms. Was moving at a fair lick. Very impressive.

I got to the top of a small hill where I normally stop to admire the view. He stopped also so I thought I would offer him some encouragement, tell him how impressed I was that he could move so fast. I was impressed.

A minute later I am thinking what a miserable angry sod. I can understand the anger issues. But there is simple politeness. If oneday you hear a news story about a cyclist not helping a broken down wheelchair athlete then it will probably be me - he joined my 'I don't give a fuck!' list.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was cycling last weekend and came up behind one of those disabled wheelchair athletes. Huge arms. Was moving at a fair lick. Very impressive.

I got to the top of a small hill where I normally stop to admire the view. He stopped also so I thought I would offer him some encouragement, tell him how impressed I was that he could move so fast. I was impressed.

A minute later I am thinking what a miserable angry sod. I can understand the anger issues. But there is simple politeness. If oneday you hear a news story about a cyclist not helping a broken down wheelchair athlete then it will probably be me - he joined my 'I don't give a fuck!' list

Patronising gitxD

Did you go the whole hog and pat him on the head too?

Edited by Roger_Mellie

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

A minute later I am thinking what a miserable angry sod. I can understand the anger issues. But there is simple politeness. If oneday you hear a news story about a cyclist not helping a broken down wheelchair athlete then it will probably be me - he joined my 'I don't give a fuck!' list.

Next time you can ask him to stop blocking the road with his spaz chariot as you are in a hurry.

17 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Next time you can ask him to stop blocking the road with his spaz chariot as you are in a hurry.

You can't win. The local rag will probably have a story soon about people not communicating with disabled people, only seeing the wheelchair, etc. 

I love that bit in 101 Dalmations where Cruella's henchmen have just fucked something up. "Congratulations you've won gold silver and bronze in the moron olympics!"