• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Catholic Church

I'm glad I'm not a catholic. It must be awful either being abused as a kid or suffering the shame of being that ugly as a kid that you weren't abused.

In all honestly though the child abuse scandals really makes you question organised religion. The days of the church lecturing people on moral issues is over IMHO. 

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

In all honestly though the child abuse scandals really makes you question organised religion.

Really?  Only now?

It is depressing that there are so many and it was actively covered up; as was also the case in the Church of England.

I am reasonably sure that it no longer happens but there is a whole legacy of cases still to come out.

It seems to be a product of established religion IMO rather than organised religion as it makes the churches into huge financial bodies like corporations with big revenues and asset holdings.

Transparent figures are hard to obtain but here are the US figures:

An Economist article last year estimated that institutions run by the Catholic Church—mostly hospitals and educational institutions—spent $170 billion in the United States alone back in 2010.

For comparison’s sake, Apple had $157 billion in revenue in Fiscal Year 2012. In fact, just 16 companies had more than $170 billion in revenue. But that’s global revenue and obviously the Catholic Church has extensive operations in Europe and Latin America alongside its United States branch and smaller Asian and African outlets.

https://slate.com/business/2013/03/catholic-church-revenue-one-of-america-s-biggest-businesses.html?via=gdpr-consent

When you are talking about figures like that then you begin to see why covering up and closing down scandals has been routine; it affects revenues.

It's a shame as I'm sure there are far more genuine decent people in the church and that these people are a small minority; but in covering up for them the church has become complicit in their crimes.

57 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'm glad I'm not a catholic. It must be awful either being abused as a kid or suffering the shame of being that ugly as a kid that you weren't abused.

In all honestly though the child abuse scandals really makes you question organised religion. The days of the church lecturing people on moral issues is over IMHO. 

That's why I think it's a mistake to take a position against any particular religion. "I don't like muslims" or "I don't like Jews." They're ALL a menace eventually. I am sure they start out well-meaning but then end up as criminals.

I believe people have a natural individual spiritual component, and if you want to talk to god on your own that's fine. The minute two of you join up to formulate an "ism" then at some point you'll end up with all sorts of abuses. Anyone who disagrees then show me a religion which is not. There are none except maybe buddhism and I'm not even sure about that. 

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

A billion  + Catholics abused?  Really?  Nonsense post.

For me, the defining question about any religion is does it have any actual power over anyone. If it does, there is inevitably large scale abuse happening within it, if it doesn't then probably not. So, a church run boarding school that has more of less ultimate power over its detainees is bound to be a cesspit of vile abuse of all kinds whereas a small local church, temple, synagogue, mosque, whatever of pretty much any type is no more or less likely than any other small voluntary club to have anything dodgy going on.