• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sugarlips

Sensible short term accommodation in London suggestions?

Am planning a 3 night stay in the city for friends and family somewhere near the Natural History Museum. there will be 4 adults 2 sprogs. It’s looking like by far the most expensive element of the trip, anyone stayed in town recently and had a good experience or got any alternative solutions that we may not have considered? Thanks

1 minute ago, Sugarlips said:

Am planning a 3 night stay in the city for friends and family somewhere near the Natural History Museum. there will be 4 adults 2 sprogs. It’s looking like by far the most expensive element of the trip, anyone stayed in town recently and had a good experience or got any alternative solutions that we may not have considered? Thanks

How about A Night in the Museum? :Jumping:

I'd suggest looking around Paddington -- there are a fair few hotels around there that aren't crazy prices, and it is an easy walk over the park to Exhibition road.

They're not nice or anything, of course.  But nice is very expensive in central London.

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

Do it over the summer and this is a very good option for that location:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/visit/summer-accommodation/stay-with-us/our-rooms/

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

My initial thought was to suggest you give Londonistan a miss completely but if you are hell bent on going to the multicultural shithole, then my suggestion would be to invest in a decent stab vest and establish zero eye contact with anybody in the street.  Should you need to converse with people, take several translation books with you. Do not use the tube. Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Do it over the summer and this is a very good option for that location:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/visit/summer-accommodation/stay-with-us/our-rooms/

Best suggestion so far thankyou. We will be in town early June so will miss the window of opportunity this time but it looks idea for others or for our future visits cheers

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Charles Carter said:

My initial thought was to suggest you give Londonistan a miss completely but if you are hell bent on going to the multicultural shithole, then my suggestion would be to invest in a decent stab vest and establish zero eye contact with anybody in the street.  Should you need to converse with people, take several translation books with you. Do not use the tube. Hope this helps. 

You're suffering a bad bout of onlinenewsia and dosbodsitis I prescribe two tablets of perspective and a visit to the real world.

Even if he decides to include, on the itinerary, an amble through Hackney, in a White Power T-shirt whilst wearing a money belt on the outside of his clothing, the car drive there would probably still be the riskiest element of the whole trip.

Edited by SNACR

I pretty much always stay Premier Inn in London, or Travelodge if it's a refurbished one, there are several close by. I picked Euston Premier Inn as an example:

£546 three nights in June for two adults and two children doesn't sound bad to me.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-euston.html?ARRdd=03&ARRmm=06&ARRyyyy=2019&NIGHTS=3&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=2&COT1=0&INTTYP1=FAM&BRAND=PI

I've had some good results on hoteldirect.co.uk previously. I took my now wife to London some time ago and we stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment at the Curzon Plaza in Mayfair for less than £100/night. Hoteldirect might be better for late deals though, I think I booked it 1 day before we went. 

I've stayed in the Euston Premier Inn, and also the Leicester sq one. Both fine, though obviously the Leicester sq one is is, let's call it livelier, immediately outside, at night! 

Usually we stay at the Radisson blu at Bloomsbury St, very near the British museum. Great location, not too far from tube at Tottenham Court. We usually are only there for one night though, and there's only two of us, so in your case, a lot more money. 

9 hours ago, SNACR said:

TBH anywhere near a tube station in London is an option although kids at rush hour might be a worry.

Has been my preferred option - somewhere like Kew and B&B. Partl;y so that car access is easy and parking not too bad. Savings on accommodation offset travel costs in and out.

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

You're suffering a bad bout of onlinenewsia and dosbodsitis I prescribe two tablets of perspective and a visit to the real world.

Even if he decides to include, on the itinerary, an amble through Hackney, in a White Power T-shirt whilst wearing a money belt on the outside of his clothing, the car drive there would probably still be the riskiest element of the whole trip.

I think this theory needs testing. Any volunteers?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I pretty much always stay Premier Inn in London, or Travelodge if it's a refurbished one, there are several close by. I picked Euston Premier Inn as an example:

£546 three nights in June for two adults and two children doesn't sound bad to me.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-euston.html?ARRdd=03&ARRmm=06&ARRyyyy=2019&NIGHTS=3&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=2&COT1=0&INTTYP1=FAM&BRAND=PI

Or IBIS.  And cheaper the further out you go, say Wembley.  Or book with right to cancel and then see if any very late deals futher in.  Or are you ex-military, a Quaker, Oxbridge, etc?

Edited by Harley

Posted (edited)

Depending on the make up I your group (is it 2 couples, how old are the sprogs,  would they share room). Then are there any airbnb apartments rather than hotels? I have 2 children and would have found a hotel stay for more than one night a real pain from a boredom point of view in the evenings.

Edited by NewryH