• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Britain's new industry

I suppose it's progress. 15 years ago when I last watched daytime TV at length , the adverts were all for Jamster ringtones with the crazy frog etc.

In all seriousness, gambling at home is a huge, huge problem for many people, but nobody seems willing to take up the cause. They should ban it like in the States (which was for different reasons). It was New Labour that relaxed the laws in 2007 that allowed all these idiotic "cutesy" gambling adverts targeted at women.

PS: If you Google 'online gambling problem' then the first result is for the NHS Drug abuse website. Very helpful indeed. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=online+gambling+addiction&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I suppose it's progress. 15 years ago when I last watched daytime TV at length , the adverts were all for Jamster ringtones with the crazy frog etc.

In all seriousness, gambling at home is a huge, huge problem for many people, but nobody seems willing to take up the cause. They should ban it like in the States (which was for different reasons).

Fucking Ringtones! I remember this lunacy. When the fun stops, Stop! eh?

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

galaspins

ojo

buzzbingo

sunbingo

tombola

roxypalace

unibet

winkbingo

casumo

Sounds about right. When Labour relaxed the rules on gambling in the 2000s I felt rather uneasy about it. Cue the inflx of gambling addiction problems. 

My local football team used to have sponsors like Asics, Colmans, Aviva, Proton/Lotus Cars, Norwich & Peterborough Building Society. Now I think it's Leo Vegas. ¬¬

I was watching Columbo episodes yesterday on 5USA. The ad breaks were full of these gaming sites (targeted at women mostly). One was for Wink Bingo. Bah, 'Wank Bingo' more like. >:(

7 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Sounds about right. When Labour relaxed the rules on gambling in the 2000s I felt rather uneasy about it. Cue the inflx of gambling addiction problems. 

My local football team used to have sponsors like Asics, Colmans, Aviva, Proton/Lotus Cars, Norwich & Peterborough Building Society. Now I think it's Leo Vegas. ¬¬

I was watching Columbo episodes yesterday on 5USA. The ad breaks were full of these gaming sites (targeted at women mostly). One was for Wink Bingo. Bah, 'Wank Bingo' more like. >:(

I don't think Mr Blair was very holy or angelic.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

I've discovered something, years ago, that's a great way to make daytime TV better - it's something called going to work.

I'm still thinking about this option. But I don't have to, so I want a nice job, with a special hat!

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Does anyone else think the two women that are in the incontinence pad commercials are more attractive than the girls on the average high street?

Only Joe.D maybe?

3 hours ago, spunko said:

In all seriousness, gambling at home is a huge, huge problem for many people, but nobody seems willing to take up the cause. They should ban it like in the States (which was for different reasons). It was New Labour that relaxed the laws in 2007 that allowed all these idiotic "cutesy" gambling adverts targeted at women.

PS: If you Google 'online gambling problem' then the first result is for the NHS Drug abuse website. Very helpful indeed. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=online+gambling+addiction&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

agree,i now moniter the on-off girlfriends bank account her idea btw .she got adicted and lost thousands.i might still have to have her car in my name to protect that ffs.and ive known 2 men that litteraly staked the house on online gambeling.neither split up from the wifes btw thats got to be love if ever i saw it.

3 hours ago, SNACR said:

I've discovered something, years ago, that's a great way to make daytime TV better - it's something called going to work.

nights is even better,you can work at night and sleep in the day thus miss even more.but to be fair i do get a female friend to record the odd bodice ripper or historical drama the last one i watched was vanity fair which is still relivent today

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

agree,i now moniter the on-off girlfriends bank account her idea btw .she got adicted and lost thousands.i might still have to have her car in my name to protect that ffs.and ive known 2 men that litteraly staked the house on online gambeling.neither split up from the wifes btw thats got to be love if ever i saw it.

Gambling really is a shite addiction.

If it's drink or drugs you do at least get to have a fun time as you lose your money.

Just don't watch tv, find something you find interesting or entertaining on the web to listen to or watch. Broadcast radio is either music but you have to put up with the ads and grating lowest common denominator presenters, or vile BBC propaganda channels. Again, make the effort to find something good on the web or from your collection. It takes away their power.

Apparently a burgeoning gambling industry is a sign of an economy in general decline with poor prospects - one of the last resorts - so I guess it's no coincidence NuLabour relaxing gambling laws in 2007 at the start of the economic crash.  Some might even say Britain sort of crashed out then.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Caravan Monster said:

Just don't watch tv, find something you find interesting or entertaining on the web to listen to or watch. Broadcast radio is either music but you have to put up with the ads and grating lowest common denominator presenters, or vile BBC propaganda channels. Again, make the effort to find something good on the web or from your collection. It takes away their power.

This.

I go onto Youtube and I am then required to actively choose stuff that I want to watch.  I do not passively absorb scheduled TV programmes. 

There were a couple of intakes of breath last week when I turned off Loose Women in the canteen that absolutely no one was watching.  "He's turned off the TV!  Aaaargggh!".  Nobody dared say anything though.  And they probably turned it on again after I left.