• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

What would Gandhi do?

Just in case India and Pakistan do kick things off heralding the end of the world and forcing DOSBODers to turn to their baked bean stash, we may as well have a thread about the brotherly love between India and Pakistan.

When they no longer had the British to hate they appear to have realised that they hate one another.

13 minutes ago, snaga said:

if it kicks off big time, which side will the UK back? and how will that impact on multicultural britain?

When they split India into nice people and the others why didn't we get the nice ones flooding our country?

14 minutes ago, snaga said:

if it kicks off big time, which side will the UK back? and how will that impact on multicultural britain?

Pakistan has moved into the China camp. India is in the Russia camp but being wooed by the US / UK as a hedge against China - so feck if anyone knows. 

Personally I am hoping India gives them a good kicking.

14 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

When they split India into nice people and the others why didn't we get the nice ones flooding our country?

Pakistan has moved into the China camp. India is in the Russia camp but being wooed by the US / UK as a hedge against China - so feck if anyone knows. 

Personally I am hoping India gives them a good kicking.

Its worse  than that.

The sub-continent was split into 'nice' and 'muzzers'.

The muzzer bit then split off further, into 'relatively secular' and 'inbred stone-age hilly billies'

The UK ended with the 'stone age hill billies'

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

I am hoping nobody gives anyone a good kicking. The result would be atrocious.

Even a conventional war between them could be terrible.

I have a lovely Pakistani Christian who follows me on twitter. I would fear for the safety of people like him. 

Kashmir is the only place in the world where 3 nuclear powers share borders and all have been involved in conflicts of some sort in this area since WW2.

The irony is many Indians and Pakistanis share a common language. In the days of the Raj all posh Indians regardless of religion spoke Urdu. The British used it and English as the official language.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Accepted wisdom is India is far stronger than Pakistan for any conventional conflict so nuclear threat is default strategy.

Hence no war.

This doesn't rule out minor skirmishes in Kashmir and other flash points.

Sufficient to generate a refugee crisis from the weaker minority. 

If we allow tens of thousands from Pakistan to be granted asylum we should also relax controls affecting immigration from Bangladesh.

The curry restaurants of UK are crying out for trained chefs able to prepare an authentic chicken tikka masala.

If it does kick off I can guarantee that we will have Pakistanis protesting on the streets of the UK and demanding sanctions against India. The Muzzers in the West ability to mobilise large cohorts at the drop of a hat is their trump card and one TPTB haven’t learned how to counter. Parts of the Muslim North could become very dangerous very quickly.

5 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Accepted wisdom is India is far stronger than Pakistan for any conventional conflict so nuclear threat is default strategy.

Hence no war.

Agree.  If it ever went to war, even if short of nuclear, Pakistan would be entirely crushed.  They know that and therefore skirmishing, tit for tat, and sabre rattling will only ever be the limit of it.

9 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

If it does kick off I can guarantee that we will have Pakistanis protesting on the streets of the UK and demanding sanctions against India. The Muzzers in the West ability to mobilise large cohorts at the drop of a hat is their trump card and one TPTB haven’t learned how to counter. Parts of the Muslim North could become very dangerous very quickly.

I doubt UK Bengalis would side with Pakistan (?)

12 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

That's a good enough reason for Britain to want it sorted out for good one way or another.

Edited by twocents

2 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I doubt UK Bengalis would side with Pakistan (?)

No you will still be able to get your Chicken Korma while the Uber drivers are kicking off.

1 minute ago, twocents said:

That's a good enough reason for Britain to want it sorted out for good one way or another.

And what exactly will Britain do? 

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Agree.  If it ever went to war, even if short of nuclear, Pakistan would be entirely crushed.  They know that and therefore skirmishing, tit for tat, and sabre rattling will only ever be the limit of it.

China is the imponderable here. People know that India and Pakistan have skirmished over Kashmir. They tend to forget that India and China have fought wars. Under Modi the Indians have also got a lot more belligerent and there lies the risk, particularly as Pakistan’s government have trouble controlling the Islamic militants and hot heads who might act as the trigger for a serious shooting war.

20 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Hence no war.

Sufficient to generate a refugee crisis from the weaker minority. 

If we allow tens of thousands from Pakistan to be granted asylum we should also relax controls affecting immigration from Bangladesh.

The curry restaurants of UK are crying out for trained chefs able to prepare an authentic chicken tikka masala.

They can work in Pret too, after the Brexit shortage.

3 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

China is the imponderable here. People know that India and Pakistan have skirmished over Kashmir. They tend to forget that India and China have fought wars. Under Modi the Indians have also got a lot more belligerent and there lies the risk, particularly as Pakistan’s government have trouble controlling the Islamic militants and hot heads who might act as the trigger for a serious shooting war.

I didn't know that; other than a base assumption that over the last two thousand years that pretty much every neighbouring country will have been at war with the other at some points.

Would you care to give us a potted history rather than my raiding wikipedia?

12 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

And what exactly will Britain do? 

That Steele guy could write a dossier on how the Cricketeer guy is being blackmailed by that russian guy over a trip he may or may not have made to Moscow.

Edited by snaga

8 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The current British government can’t distinguish between Salisbury and Bath so they have sod all chance of getting to grips with any India and Pakistan.

Let them sort it out themselves preferably for good.  Similarly for Israel and that region which is a conflict which has gone on for far too long and it's also a conflict that needs ending for good one way or another as it also impacts Britain to its detriment.

Edited by twocents

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I didn't know that; other than a base assumption that over the last two thousand years that pretty much every neighbouring country will have been at war with the other at some points.

Would you care to give us a potted history rather than my raiding wikipedia?

The main one was the Sino Indian war in the early 1960s which happened about the time of the Cuban missile crisis. The casualties were not enormous (2000-3000) but the Indians suffered a rather humiliating defeat which I think still rankles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

Chinese have been suspected of supporting some of the insurgency that India has faced on its eastern borders as well. Normally India and Pakistan border disputes peter out quite quickly partly because at core the two sides do know each other quite well. I just get the feeling that things are a bit more dangerous at the moment. The Indian media is also currently pretty bellicose

https%3A%2F%2Fforeignpolicy.com%2F2019%2F03%2F01%2Findias-media-is-war-crazy%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR31XHhsrASxtJYKQCkDCBv-y5ACL-icp2X6Q7ko6SEpCNELUkLVTzfkjfk&psig=AOvVaw3RJiP9mE6q6KDEaYLmkF89&ust=1551880066624027

Edited by Virgil Caine