• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

onlyme

London - Grenfell House

43 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42520483

Following concerns that they may face higher costs at Christmas, the council offered an extra payment of £140 per person for food.

for the love of God, why?  Just why?  Can someone explain why these people are being given 140 quid extra at Christmas (I bet most of them don't even celebrate it).   

Mrs Cunning had something on twatbook last night suggesting a family were already getting about £1500 cash a week on top of living costs.

Can someone verify?

10 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think it has been shown that all the legal occupants of the building have been offered new permanent accommodation but haven't taken it for various reasons. 

They've not heard of that good old British saying "Beggars can't be choosers" then :Old:

5 minutes ago, Lone Lurker said:

They've not heard of that good old British saying "Beggars can't be choosers" then :Old:

The more I see, hear and read about all these handouts to Grenfell residents (and others), the bigger and bigger mug I feel and the less help and less work I do for others.

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The more I see, hear and read about all these handouts to Grenfell residents (and others), the bigger and bigger mug I feel and the less help and less work I do for others.

Agree, I was homeless once through no fault of my own, did I get any help, did I bugger :PissedOff:

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

No free school dinners during Christmas?

Possibly but why a quick cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit cant be knocked up in a hotel room I fail to see. It is almost as if these people are regarded as being 100% reliant on other people to provide for them. Ironically the people who are providing for them could only dream of having such disposable income or choices in life. 

2 hours ago, Lone Lurker said:

That's not directed at me is it? I'm from Wales :D

I really can't see why we have to house the world, when we can barely can't even begin to look after our own.

My preference would be to help in the countries of origin, but that's seen as imperialist racism >:(

Corrected :)

i give you care in the community, the ex squaddies living rough, old people neglected through failing social care, a NHS crumbling under the weight of numbers, charging kids in the region of £50k for an education etc, etc, 

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

One minute were getting told that productivity is low in the UK then we house third worlders in one of the best places in London.

How much could productivity be improved if these flats are reserved for essential workers? Police/ nurses etc could save ten hours plus a week in commuting by staying there. 

It's disgusting that we give these flats to people that aren't British.

What annoys me the most (of many things) is that the taxpayer is expected to foot the bill for their social engineering project. 

32 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Possibly but why a quick cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit cant be knocked up in a hotel room I fail to see.

If you must indulge in these disgusting practices, I suggest you find an hotel with a more liberally-minded management.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

good?

Well at least Treason May is being consistent as you can't believe a single word she says .... won the election on her manifesto and dropped the commitments ... Nicky Clegg stylee.

Posted (edited)

... and it goes on ..... the investigation into the cause of the fire will cost according to the So-Called BBC .... just £1,000,000 ..... sorry could not resist it will cost (assuming the figure does not increase) ... wait for it .... £27,000,000 yes twenty seven million pounds to investigate if it was the fridge freezer or the roasted goat that started the fire and that the fire was made worse by gas having been added to the building years after it was designed and built together with a flammable coating.

Mea culpa ... an additional £27,000,000 with around £12,000,000 already having been spent ...

Edited by satch

Posted (edited)

Years ago that thing would have been demolished asap not left there as some windblown crematorium to angst over

Edited by Panther

On 12/30/2017 at 10:25, Hopeful said:

Sorry to hear that but I understand how you feel. The solution is to help those who genuinely need it, on a local level. I do a little work for example for a local charity which is run by volunteers who I know, for people I meet, and who I can see are plainly in need through no fault of their own (it's a charity for elderly infirm people). 

10 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Sorry to hear that but I understand how you feel. The solution is to help those who genuinely need it, on a local level. I do a little work for example for a local charity which is run by volunteers who I know, for people I meet, and who I can see are plainly in need through no fault of their own (it's a charity for elderly infirm people). 

AA - I think local charities are admirable, in  most cases, and can be supported.  There seems to be very few large charities that are morally clean, in my experience.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'll help people I already know and are 'worth it', and I expect nothing in return. I also run a global educational charity. But personally, for strangers and many people I already know in the UK, pah. Which is all a bit of a contradiction; but the contradiction is because I feel I give more than I receive.

Edited by Hopeful

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:53, Fossildog said:

Possibly but why a quick cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit cant be knocked up in a hotel room I fail to see. It is almost as if these people are regarded as being 100% reliant on other people to provide for them. Ironically the people who are providing for them could only dream of having such disposable income or choices in life

Once you grasp the bit in bold it really does show how the whole Grenfell thing is nuts. Can't see it carrying on for many more years, this housing all comers from the 3rd world who want a free ride, the money runs out at some point

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Once you grasp the bit in bold it really does show how the whole Grenfell thing is nuts. Can't see it carrying on for many more years, this housing all comers from the 3rd world who want a free ride, the money runs out at some point

They could keep printing fresh money off to give to the newcomers but then everyone else's quality of life and standard of living continues to go down at a rate of knots (apart from those at the top of course) - and the UK continues to drop even further down the international leagues of developed nations.

Edited by twocents