• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

onlyme

London - Grenfell House

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yes. He sounded like he (could have been she) knew what he was talking about but I wanted to look into it some more. Farage suggested that he didn't know about this in any detail (I.e. not at all)

Who knows?

EU regulations set out rules for buildings’ energy consumption with Britain signed up to the 2010 Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. 

Under the directive, the UK is required to report to the European Commission on progress towards national energy efficiency targets each year. 

Article 24 of the directive was cemented into UK law in April 2014 and a Government report says “bringing as many residential and commercial buildings as possible up to a high level of energy performance is a priority for the UK Government”.

EU regs. European Commission. Article 24 of the EU directive. Blah blah blah.

A European Commission spokeswoman said: “Fire safety rules and building material standards are a matter for national authorities. The EU's only role is in making sure materials which meet those national standards are not excluded from national markets in a discriminatory way just because they are made elsewhere in Europe. 

The EU also prescribes that the product performance regarding reaction to fire is tested with a European test method.

“The EU does co-fund various types of building renovation projects, mostly through regional policy - of course it is for Member States to ensure buildings on their territory comply with national law.”

So nothing to do with the EU then. O.o You don't have to buy the cheap shit that the EU floods the market with. It's up to National governments!

Source :- https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/817651/london-fire-grenfell-tower-block-cladding-latest-updates-european-union-regulations

I can see the headlines now .... "Tories waste millions on over spec cladding imported from Germany!"

According to the So-Called BBC radio this afternoon some engineer was claiming that the UK's current regulations and fire safety guidances were not "fit for purpose".

Of course they are - for the purpose of cronyism, backhanders and brown envelopes and so on to short cut, get round and ignore the rules and regulations on any amount of stuff etc.  No change in the regulations etc will alter that.

After all the the decades of research, development and discussion and not to mention all the money spent on it which must amount to millions if not billions - and now they're suddenly not fit for purpose - yet again it's KERCHING!

Edited by twocents

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42520483

Following concerns that they may face higher costs at Christmas, the council offered an extra payment of £140 per person for food.

for the love of God, why?  Just why?  Can someone explain why these people are being given 140 quid extra at Christmas (I bet most of them don't even celebrate it).   

Surely prices at KFC stay constant and do not spike at Xmas?

38 minutes ago, One percent said:

Following concerns that they may face higher costs at Christmas, the council offered an extra payment of £140 per person for food.

for the love of God, why?  Just why?  Can someone explain why these people are being given 140 quid extra at Christmas (I bet most of them don't even celebrate it).   

I think it might be because they're in temporary accommodation without cooking facilities so will have to eat at restaurants/takeaways. I think it has been shown that all the legal occupants of the building have been offered new permanent accommodation but haven't taken it for various reasons. 

1 minute ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think it might be because they're in temporary accommodation without cooking facilities so will have to eat at restaurants/takeaways. I think it has been shown that all the legal occupants of the building have been offered new permanent accommodation but haven't taken it for various reasons. 

What about the illegal ones?  

43 minutes ago, One percent said:

Mrs Cunning had something on twatbook last night suggesting a family were already getting about £1500 cash a week on top of living costs.

Can someone verify?

10 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think it has been shown that all the legal occupants of the building have been offered new permanent accommodation but haven't taken it for various reasons. 

They've not heard of that good old British saying "Beggars can't be choosers" then :Old:

5 minutes ago, Lone Lurker said:

They've not heard of that good old British saying "Beggars can't be choosers" then :Old:

The more I see, hear and read about all these handouts to Grenfell residents (and others), the bigger and bigger mug I feel and the less help and less work I do for others.

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The more I see, hear and read about all these handouts to Grenfell residents (and others), the bigger and bigger mug I feel and the less help and less work I do for others.

Agree, I was homeless once through no fault of my own, did I get any help, did I bugger :PissedOff:

2 hours ago, Lone Lurker said:

That's not directed at me is it? I'm from Wales :D

I really can't see why we have to house the world, when we can barely can't even begin to look after our own.

My preference would be to help in the countries of origin, but that's seen as imperialist racism >:(

Corrected :)

i give you care in the community, the ex squaddies living rough, old people neglected through failing social care, a NHS crumbling under the weight of numbers, charging kids in the region of £50k for an education etc, etc, 

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

One minute were getting told that productivity is low in the UK then we house third worlders in one of the best places in London.

How much could productivity be improved if these flats are reserved for essential workers? Police/ nurses etc could save ten hours plus a week in commuting by staying there. 

It's disgusting that we give these flats to people that aren't British.

What annoys me the most (of many things) is that the taxpayer is expected to foot the bill for their social engineering project.