• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

onlyme

London - Grenfell House

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

My own odds are:

1) Terrorist attack.

2) Sectarian attack between different Muslims.

3) Migrant having an indoor BBQ.

4) Insurance job gone wrong.

5) Idiot demonstrating the fire hazard ofthe building.

I suspect you'll have all bases covered there - mail stating there are 120 flats - so approx 4-5 per unit. I'll go 475 dead. 

Terrible way to go. 

Will bring the benny bill down a wee tad

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I've read residents said they were getting power surges, and that one of them on the 2nd floor said it started in his flat when the fridge exploded?

Still strange how it can get from the fridge to the cladding which must have a modicum of fire resistance. What was stored in the flat beside the fridge, I was always under the impression that flats are designed to contain a fire within an individual unit for X amount of time.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Sounds like a shoddily made building.

It's had a recent £10 million refit, sounds like corners cut and used cheap eastern european workers.

Obviously wild speculation but does bring something up in my mind, we have strict building regulations in this country, controlled in the main by local authorities, how many of those get bypassed/overlooked when it's the local authority itself looking to get the job done on the cheap.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I would think they will never know how many have died in this.  Sub letting, transient and illegal populations in London.  

Absolutely, living in London you really do think to yourself that we have no control over who is or isn't here. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would think they will never know how many have died in this.  Sub letting, transient and illegal populations in London.  

That's my thought particularly as the building is now unsafe.

Easier to sweep under the carpet though as would guess there won't be many indigenous relatives.

11 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I've read residents said they were getting power surges, and that one of them on the 2nd floor said it started in his flat when the fridge exploded?

Do have to wonder the scope for a resident doing some wiring work to avoid the electric meter.

Just as well some of the residents decided to get out rather than follow the "stay put" advice. I suspect the number of known fatalities is going to be very high. From reports it is said the whole building was alight inside 15 mins.

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Do have to wonder the scope for a resident doing some wiring work to avoid the electric meter.

Maybe, or that exploding fridge that was mentioned, but the main cause of the devastation appears to be the plastic cladding - don't towers normally burn from the inside out? This one is completely black on the outside - looks like it burned from the outside in.

Edited by The Idiocrat

My votes going for 4 or 5. Head-choppy gang don't go for fires as you've got to die in the process to be a martyr.

Death by fire isn't exactly fun, even if there's 72 virgins at the end. 

Some kind of perverse collaboration between the management company behind on improvement budget and need to wipe the slate clean and the militant arm of the residential lot wanting to make a point would be my guess. 

Either way, fucking horrible way to go, I wouldn't wish it on my worst a enemy. 

As for Regs, when you look at their application for different buildings they often end up as a compromising clusterfuck. You need to meet min this, min that and the rules compromise the whole design. Do you want a building that is safe/fire proof, fit for purpose or insulated to the nth degree. You end up with a design that if not perfectly implemented any failure in one element compromises the whole. It really is unicorn on a stick stuff.  Over-reliance on fire doors is a good one - door closers on everything, people just get pissed off with them and keep them wedged open. 

Edited by onlyme

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Fuck me this is going to be bad.

Stories of kids being thrown out of windows. 

Terrible stuff, amazing that this kind of thing can happen in a major UK city in 2017.

Don't worry the local authority will be fined and this punishment of having to hand over other people's tax money will ensure it never happens again.

Despite £10m just being spent on a refurb I bet they'll still find some gob on a stick to wheel out, on the news, to parrot the governments cuts line.

Edited by SNACR

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Don't worry the local authority will be fined and this punishment of having to hand over other people's tax money will ensure it never happens again.

Whoever is responsible for that building must and should be jailed for a long time. 

I think in China they executed the people who broke all he rules and shoddily built the school that killed all the kids in an earthquake a few years back.