• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

onlyme

London - Grenfell House

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Flammable plastic cladding and flammable windows on a high-rise building that has no sprinkler system or means of fire prevention? In 2017. Words fail me. 

Insane is the only word.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Still strange how it can get from the fridge to the cladding which must have a modicum of fire resistance. What was stored in the flat beside the fridge, I was always under the impression that flats are designed to contain a fire within an individual unit for X amount of time.

They are via the main flat door. It should be able to withstand smoke for so many hours. Assuming they've been fitted right and I assume don't have letter boxes. 

Caught the story on the So-Called BBC news special whilst eating breakfast ten minutes ago.
I've only just seen the night footage. Jesus wept.

In preventing the passage of smoke it should even go as far as intumescent sealant being used around fire doors which swells in heat to further prevent the passage of smoke.

20 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Why has it spread so much too?

Concrete dos not burn.

Towerblock have lots of fire breaks.

is it the cladding?

Yeah but ... Twin towers were hit by jumbos with wings full of aeroplane fuel.

WTC 7? :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, mattydread said:

I think there is much more to this than a fridge catching fire/blowing up

Apparently they were installing gas or putting in new gas pipes. A chap was on the radio saying that half the flat was electric and he had received a letter telling him to make sure that no gas pipes were fitted to his flat if they tried to do so.

Is there any figure yet on how many people escaped? They are saying several hundred people lived there.

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Apparently they were installing gas or putting in new gas pipes. A chap was on the radio saying that half the flat was electric and he had received a letter telling him to make sure that no gas pipes were fitted to his flat if they tried to do so.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere. I thought gas was an absolute no-no in high rise buildings?

I did read that as part of the refurb, work was done to change heating from a central system where residents could not alter the temperature in their flat themselves to a system where they could.

1 hour ago, mattydread said:

Aye Sarge - The type of thing you hear about in Mumbai or Lahore

Aye its totally nuts, we shouldn't be having this kind of stuff happening in 2017, yes a fire in a tower block, fires happen, but not one where corner cutting and shoddy materials means the whole thing is ablaze in 15 minutes

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

True.

But large parts of the UK are 3rd world now.

There's a lot of truth in that, the ghettos up north and those in the east end of London are tending towards third world, TB, FGM, Medieval mindset, no value of a life, lawlessness, police no go area. When you live say in a nice rural town in surrey or a nice part of London, you don't realise it but drive a few miles and boom you see the shiyte this country has become

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/is-grenfell-tower-a-firetrap/
To: ben.dewis@london-fire.gov.uk
Subject: Re: Grenfell Tower- Ongoing concerns!
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014

A number of residents of Grenfell Tower are very concerned at the fact that the new improvement works to Grenfell Tower have turned our building into a fire trap.

There is only one entry and exit to the tower block itself and, in the event of a fire, the LFB could only gain access to the entrance to the building by climbing four flights of narrow stairs.

On top of this the fire escape exit on the walkway level has now been sealed.

Residents of Grenfell Tower do not have any confidence that our building has been satisfactorily assessed to cope with the new improvement works and we are seeking a meeting with the Chief Fire Officer from Kensington Fire Station so that these concerns can be addressed.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/another-fire-safety-scandal/

it's been a concern for such a long time.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

My own odds are:

1) Terrorist attack.

2) Sectarian attack between different Muslims.

3) Migrant having an indoor BBQ.

4) Insurance job gone wrong.

5) Idiot demonstrating the fire hazard ofthe building.

6) Cannabis Farm (nailed on) 

7) Meth Lab?

Edited by WorkingPoor

53 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, so did I. Be interesting if there is any truth in it.

Certainly, there was gas CH and cooker in my parents thirteenth floor flat in the 70's. 

The blog writer got out by the skin of his teeth says man being currently interviewed on BBC

Just now, Bossybabe said:

Looks like it was only the other blocks at Ronan Point that had the gas removed. I know for a fact that my parents' flat was still heated by gas and had a gas cooker when they moved out in 1986. 

No gas at any of the blocks I've lived in. 
Communal gas boilers outside at some which power mainmet heating system with card top up. 

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

We have man-up forklifts at work that go up 8m+. In the cab they have a manufacturer supplied pack of a full abseiling kit with the intention the operator can abseil down if the machine fails and they're stuck in the air. I always thought it seemed a very fanciful idea that some fat warehouse lad, with a basic sheet of instructions, was going to get themsleves into a harness, rig a figure of eight, and abseil down without incident. 

In reality you would use a cherry picker or get the fire brigade out but possibly it's intended for the worse case scenario of a lone operator in the building. Looking at the scenario of this fire that level of contingency planning doesn't look nearly as absurd.

I remember a friend who worked on the Burj Khalifa telling me of dodgy building practices. 

Something about construction height between the core and the rest being 50m. 

I think he said if there was a fire you had to make your way to the top and wait for helicopter evacuation.  You had an hour before being engulfed and the helicopter was stationed an hour away. 

Just now, WorkingPoor said:

Crack den?

To be fair to the residents it sounds like your average accident waiting to happen, and the council and fire brigade both seem at least partly culpable.

10 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

6 dead so far.

Its going to be a lot higher, those on the upper floors had no chance, also as someone said up thread the true number will never be known what with all the transient residents/sub letting etc