• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Farnborough Airshow scrapped

Breaking now, Farnborough Airshow scrapped on public safety grounds.

Shoreham airshow disaster really did turn over a rock under which some very unsavoury people were hiding. 

Now its time for Andy Hill and others at North Weald to face justice. 

#GnatDisplayTeam #CarFest 

Edited by WorkingPoor

If the media us to be believed the public weekend air display lost money in recent years which is probably why it is being scrapped, with Shoreham being the excuse. The commercial trade airshow is continuing so it is not strictly true that the entire event has been scrapped.

Edited by Virgil Caine

48 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Breaking now, Farnborough Airshow scrapped on public safety grounds.

Shoreham airshow disaster really did turn over a rock under which some very unsavoury people were hiding. 

Now its time for Andy Hill and others at North Weald to face justice. 

#GnatDisplayTeam #CarFest 

What like the sort of people who’ve got a samurai sword at home?

Bit sad really. Farnborough was the location of the first powered flight in the UK. It's the birthplace of British aviation.

The area has become incredibly built up over the years and really is full up now but they're still building. They've just closed the local golf course so that they can designate it an open space (or some such bullshit) so that they're allowed to build another couple of thousand houses. Lots of new council tax payers (probably migrants/Nepalese benefit claimants mire likely) to pay the pensions of the local authority useless eaters.

I expect in a few years time the council will spend millions buying up land out of town and building leisure facilities such as a golf course thus further adding to the appalling traffic congestion around here.

Nevermind the fact that Rushmoor has a higher population density than Hong Kong (ok I exaggerate a bit) there's always room for more. I heard recently that there's several hundred Nepalese due to arrive shortly. They'll fit in with the 20,000 already here, most days it's like Everest base camp in my local park. They shit in the bushes here too. TB cases are on the rise and it's only a matter of time before typhoid strikes (endemic amongst Ghurkhas - just ask the Haitians - 100 years typhoid-free till the UN arrived with thousands of Ghurkha troops).

Isn't immigration wonderful?

6 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Bit sad really. Farnborough was the location of the first powered flight in the UK. It's the birthplace of British aviation.

The area has become incredibly built up over the years and really is full up now but they're still building. They've just closed the local golf course so that they can designate it an open space (or some such bullshit) so that they're allowed to build another couple of thousand houses. Lots of new council tax payers (probably migrants/Nepalese benefit claimants mire likely) to pay the pensions of the local authority useless eaters.

Surely Cove Common is commonland and can't be built on?

10 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Who didn't invent the airplane?

The Wrong brothers.

28 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I expect in a few years time the council will spend millions buying up land out of town and building leisure facilities such as a golf course thus further adding to the appalling traffic congestion around here.

Nevermind the fact that Rushmoor has a higher population density than Hong Kong (ok I exaggerate a bit) there's always room for more. I heard recently that there's several hundred Nepalese due to arrive shortly. They'll fit in with the 20,000 already here, most days it's like Everest base camp in my local park. They shit in the bushes here too. TB cases are on the rise and it's only a matter of time before typhoid strikes (endemic amongst Ghurkhas - just ask the Haitians - 100 years typhoid-free till the UN arrived with thousands of Ghurkha troops).

Isn't immigration wonderful?

My sponsor from Porton Down told me that all that commemorates the Farnborough wind tunnel is a row of trees. Sad really. 

19 minutes ago, dgul said:

Surely Cove Common is commonland and can't be built on?

Yeah right. That's where they slapped the airfield, the golf course, and several thousand houses. They've got more planned for what's left. They're keeping a bit of marshland (too shitty to build on) and a patch of woods for dogs to shit in and pikeys to dump rubbish in.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is also the birthplace of the serious airshow accident.

That was no accident.

The pilot and co-pilot were wrestling.

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

Yeah right. That's where they slapped the airfield, the golf course, and several thousand houses. They've got more planned for what's left. They're keeping a bit of marshland (too shitty to build on) and a patch of woods for dogs to shit in and pikeys to dump rubbish in.

That was no accident.

The pilot and co-pilot were wrestling.

Anyway, they crashed into the crowd and not the surrounding houses.

50 minutes ago, the gardener said:

few years time the council will spend millions buying up land out of town and building leisure facilities such as a golf course thus further adding to the appalling traffic congestion around here.

Golf has been steadily declining year after year for probably over a decade, this isn't just the UK but also in the US.

There are too many golf courses, not enough golfers. There isn't the next generation there to do it (you could pay £1000 for one golf club) - I'd expect many golf courses to be turned into 1000 homes all over the UK over the next 10 years.

16 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Anyway, they crashed into the crowd and not the surrounding houses.

I believe the crowd fairly enthusiastically assisted in clearing up and shoving all the bodies in the backs of ambulances then they carried the show on. Although plenty of blokes in the crowd probably fairly inured to clearing up mangled bodies from the war.

39 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

My sponsor from Porton Down told me that all that commemorates the Farnborough wind tunnel is a row of trees. Sad really. 

There have been a few wind tunnels.  The 'modern' wind-tunnel (the big one) is still there.  

Now, what they've done to the engine test cells -- that's a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Part of the reason is the dying out of small family business in towns. 

Golf club was a social networking tool.

It's been taking over by cycling. I'm not sure what's more offensive, men in tight Lycra or Pringle "sports casual".

Well thats about it then.  RIAT next.  Our once-proud aviation industry cant even ride on past glory.

For me, this is symbolic.  Possibly the final nail   Im struggling to think what could be more humiliating for our once great country.  Maybe donating the Victory to ikea for chipboard because visitor numbers are dwindling?  

That is sad really on the airshows. Another spectacle denied the public.

As for golf courses, they are a big land bank. Two established small golf courses near me, planning if confirmed for a major golf course, which will chip away at smaller ones for everyday revenue, would not be surprised if one of smaller ones sold off for housing (technically brownfield?).

Just now, Dipsy said:

I'm not sure what's more offensive, men in tight Lycra or Pringle "sports casual".

It's too hilly around here for cycling so lycra isn't an issue.

I challenge anybody faced with a golfer in salmon Pringle sweater tied by the sleeves over their shoulders, beige pants, nursing a cup with teabag string label dangling, to resist bludgeoning them to death with a lump hammer.

30 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I believe the crowd fairly enthusiastically assisted in clearing up and shoving all the bodies in the backs of ambulances then they carried the show on. Although plenty of blokes in the crowd probably fairly inured to clearing up mangled bodies from the war.

I worked in the aviation industry many years ago.  Two colleagues were present at that airshow when the accident happened.

One of them was standing next to someone who was sliced in half by one of the DH.110's engines. I never pressed him for details.

Neither of them would fly in an aircraft after that. (But they designed aircraft!)

AFAIK John Derry was flying solo and no fight was involved.

Edited by Happy Renting