• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

It's a choice not the lack of youth clubs etc

Posted (edited)

Youth clubs and the like are just make work schemes for youth workers.

they used to be ran by volunteers, ie cubs, scouts, cadets, etc. But with all the background checks, risk of false accusations etc volunteering has too many hurdles, again a cynic might think this was delibrate to increase the demand for professionals.

Edited by snaga

19 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Someone's written: Treason May is an absolute mug and needs squishing now. Of course slashing the police, probation, social services, youth centers and youth groups and Sure Start centers is going to impact young people turning to crime. Off yea fuck now you mouldy old bag.

Now I never went to youth club, I didn't get in trouble with the police and I didn't need a sure start to ensure my child wasn't a twat. It's got to come down to personal responsibility and teaching your kids to behave and respect others.
And if that means parents not letting them run the streets at 4am with knives then so be it.

Went to the youth club once, got battered and was never allowed to go again.

Now the battering was for having a not give an inch attitude, result of being brought up a Jehovah's Witness, 

There are many routes to bringing up non-arsehole children, the JW route works but is not recommended, you tend to be screwed up in other ways.

29 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Someone's written: Treason May is an absolute mug and needs squishing now. Of course slashing the police, probation, social services, youth centers and youth groups and Sure Start centers is going to impact young people turning to crime. Off yea fuck now you mouldy old bag.

Now I never went to youth club, I didn't get in trouble with the police and I didn't need a sure start to ensure my child wasn't a twat. It's got to come down to personal responsibility and teaching your kids to behave and respect others.
And if that means parents not letting them run the streets at 4am with knives then so be it.

Unless tgeres been a drastic change in profile, the only kids who went to youth club and other oranised clubs were total dorks, very unlikely to be running eild if the local young adults age 12-19 was not on.

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Bollocks to all that 

Legalise drugs, economics of gangs collapse = no gang members needed to stab each other 

As TM says simples 👍

5 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Now the battering was for having a not give an inch attitude, result of being brought up a Jehovah's Witness, 

There are many routes to bringing up non-arsehole children, the JW route works but is not recommended, you tend to be screwed up in other ways.

I went to a youth club once which ended in a punch-up too. Wasn't fussed as the place was dingy and shit.

There's a greater than average chance that if a kids parents are arseholes then that kid will take on both of their arseholic traits and thus be an insufferable little shit. You'll always get the odd pain in the arse who's parents are half decent but the kid is just wired wrong, but overwhelmingly it's a product of having fuck-ups for parents.

That said, I am generally of the opinion that kids (especially boys) between the ages of 3 and 10 have evolved to be complete dickheads and this is multiplied by a factor of about 100 when in a group. Frankly, they'd be flinging their own shit at each other if you weren't there to stop them...Which sometimes they do anyway.

29 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

got a friend out of the clutches of that cult and he was an elder,took me 18 gradual months.

22 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Bollocks to all that 

Legalise drugs, economics of gangs collapse = no gang members needed to stab each other 

As TM says simples 👍

no one will go for the nail,and its we are simply leting to many blacks in.its blacks mainly doing the stabbing fewer blacks is fewer stabbings.thats common sense.they could throw the gdp of the country at them blame austerity,blame police numbers but dont blame the people doing it.

There is some idea imprinted on young minds, that it is OK to carry a knife and use it on people that you don't like. We need to investigate where is this coming from. We probably already know the answer, but it won't be palatable for the PC crowd.

49 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

It's great so long as you don't bleed to death.

5 minutes ago, 201p said:

There is some idea imprinted on young minds, that it is OK to carry a knife and use it on people that you don't like. We need to investigate where is this coming from. We probably already know the answer, but it won't be palatable for the PC crowd.

im not pc.

43 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Bollocks to all that 

As TM says simples 👍

You're onto something there. Another element that I've not seen mentioned yet is peer group pressure. It only takes a few individuals with strong charismatic personalities to influence the others. These guys will have the ability to persuade others to do their bidding and soon enough they will encounter another strong character and conflict arises.

The police are well aware who the ring leaders are and back in the day they would be identified and action against them taken. Doesn't seem to happen now.

I went to a church youth club when I was 11.

They had ping-pong and a record player.

I didn't like ping pong much.

One week I borrowed my older brother's copy of Je t'aime moi non plus and put it on the record player.

Some serious mass tutting and pursing of lips then occured amongst the tweed-jacketed youth leaders.

I wasn't allowed near the record player after that.

Shortly afterwards I left the youth club and abandoned religion in any form.

It all worked out rather well.

20 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

In my experience the whole notion of a youth group is wrong.  I run a dance club and it is open to all ages.  About 40% of the club is under 25 so I would consider them youths especially since the youngest is 11.  The rest of the group are adults all the way up to early 80"s but mostly 50's.  The group dynamic is terrific.  The younger crowd add energy and fun while the older set supply security, and responsibility.  The young are very polite to the older ones and the older ones are very encouraging to the younger.  They all join the club activity of dance. 

My takeaway is that the youth need to be included in the activity of the adults and what is wrong is that an awful lot of adults do sweet fuck all.  Parents with a social life of any kind who include their kids will have no problems with kids.  The kids learn how to behave by being always included with the adults. 

That does not sound a lot of fun to me.

The only common interest the young n old share where im from is opoid painkilllers.

2 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

That does not sound a lot of fun to me.

The only common interest the young n old share where im from is opoid painkilllers.

That is very sad to hear because it is a lot of fun for all.  I guess I am very lucky to live where I do.  I don't know a single person on any drugs and our idea of fun is a communal *Zorba at the end of a night of dancing with all ages holding hands in a circle and joining in with a hearty O la!  The personal interaction and group dynamic is electric with bonding going on all across the board.  I often sit back and watch (with other older members) and get a gigantic kick out of the general camaraderie of the group. 

* A line dance done in a circle taken from the movie, "Zorba the Greek"  

4 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

That is very sad to hear because it is a lot of fun for all.  I guess I am very lucky to live where I do.  I don't know a single person on any drugs and our idea of fun is a communal *Zorba at the end of a night of dancing with all ages holding hands in a circle and joining in with a hearty O la!  The personal interaction and group dynamic is electric with bonding going on all across the board.  I often sit back and watch (with other older members) and get a gigantic kick out of the general camaraderie of the group. 

Thanks for the explanation. I had images of your elderly ballroom dancers rolling around the hall in giant inflated spheres...

6 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

If you are over 75 50% of your circle will be taking a huge quantity of opiods.

6 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

If you are over 75 50% of your circle will be taking a huge quantity of opiods.

Absolutely no way Hosé.  50% (at least) have no idea what an opioid is.  The other 50% have no interest.  You are under the delusion that the world around you is representative of the whole world.  You live in a shit hole and do not realize that there are places very different and very decent.  I never lock my car or my house either.  

1 hour ago, Snow bird said:

In my experience the whole notion of a youth group is wrong.  I run a dance club and it is open to all ages.  About 40% of the club is under 25 so I would consider them youths especially since the youngest is 11.  The rest of the group are adults all the way up to early 80"s but mostly 50's.  The group dynamic is terrific.  The younger crowd add energy and fun while the older set supply security, and responsibility.  The young are very polite to the older ones and the older ones are very encouraging to the younger.  They all join the club activity of dance. 

My takeaway is that the youth need to be included in the activity of the adults and what is wrong is that an awful lot of adults do sweet fuck all.  Parents with a social life of any kind who include their kids will have no problems with kids.  The kids learn how to behave by being always included with the adults. 

I can agree with this but from a golf club perspective.

From 13, flightlet snr was playing competitions with adults of all kinds. It did wonders for his world outlook.

24 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

Absolutely no way Hosé.  50% (at least) have no idea what an opioid is.  The other 50% have no interest.  You are under the delusion that the world around you is representative of the whole world.  You live in a shit hole and do not realize that there are places very different and very decent.  I never lock my car or my house either.  

If they dont know what an opiod is then they are probably using them.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Agree with this 100%. I'd also say for boys, they need a positive male role model as well.

12 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

If they dont know what an opiod is then they are probably using them.

So I phoned one of my dancers and asked, "Do you know what an opioid is and have you ever used one?"  She said, "Sure, it is a fancy name for a cell phone and I use one all the time."  I guess you are right. 

Posted (edited)

You might do better asking one of your dancers if they have heard of fentanyl, tramadol, OxyContin, Vicodin etc

they are all great, they really take the edge off. Very moreish though

Edited by King of Fools
Not Morris