• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Fully Detached

The Manly Man's Razor Thread

A couple of weeks ago I got a little bit triggered by that hurty Gillette advert and had to retreat into my safe space for a bit. While I was in there I decided that if my razor company was going to brand me as a toxic honky rapist, I would passively-aggressively trash my old Mach 5, buy a proper fucking man's razor, and celebrate my male privilege for no other reason than that I'm a man, and I can.

Two weeks later, I'm i) surprisingly still alive, and ii) starting this thread so that us toxic masculine types can discuss our razors and various odds and sods.

I'll start by saying that after some sweat, toil, and a quite unholy amount of blood and tears, I have come to the conclusion that DE razors are the dog's whatsits, and I will not be returning to those cartridge jobbies any time soon.

Anyone else?

Been using Wilkinson Sword Extreme 3.

They are ok but:

1) Blunt more quickly

2) clog more easily

So any better recommendation welcome,  but no chance of using the man hating brand again.

I was walking past a soap shop today - Lush? - and seeing that it was full of women I thought that I would wander in and have a nose. I ended up trying some oat milk shaving cream - the girl who showed me it assured me that it was great because she uses it herself. Ideal for sensitive skin. I didn't go into the differences of male and female skin nor that I used shaving cream on my face and not on a foo foo. I was tempted to ask if she was willing to volunteer. I didn't.

Anyhow, I put some on my neck explaining that I would return tomorrow and buy some if I did not come out in a rash.

My neck now has a red rash.

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've got a Edwin Jagger, Braveheart and a Feather....

I love the braveheart.

image.jpeg

Can't believe those don't clog up something cronic.

Am I wrong?

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Can't believe those don't clog up something cronic.

Am I wrong?

I find them a lot better than a cartridge razor for shaving week old stubble. You rinse them and the stubble just washes out the razor.

10 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Been using Wilkinson Sword Extreme 3.

They are ok but:

1) Blunt more quickly

2) clog more easily

So any better recommendation welcome,  but no chance of using the man hating brand again.

Try this sample razor pack. £8 - 7 different brands.

Traditional-Shaving-Razor-Blade-Sample-P

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/razor-blades/4514774-Traditional-Shaving-Razor-Blade-Sample-Pack.html

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Anyhow, I put some on my neck explaining that I would return tomorrow and buy some if I did not come out in a rash.

My neck now has a red rash.

Had similar as a teen..  someone gave me some "fancy" shave cream..  immediately came up in a rash. And I don't usually have ver sensitive skin.

Now I don't use any.  With modern razors with lube strip you don't nee to bother with it..  I shave in the shower with just a disposable.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've got a Edwin Jagger, Braveheart and a Feather....

I love the braveheart.

Nice - I bought a £20 Parker which seems nicely balanced, though I'm sure I'll try a few others before I find the one for me. What has really amazed me is the difference between blades, and the need to find the right one for your face, skin and hair type.

I bought some Astra blades, not realising that they were made by the man-haters, but it doesn't matter since I get quite bad razor burn from them. Somewhat foolishly for a n00b, I then moved on to Feather blades, which enabled me to slash my throat with a ferocity that a wannabe jihadi would have been proud of.

I've now settled on Sharks - I get a fantastically smooth shave with only the odd nick here and there. I guess as my skills improve I'll be able to try sharper blades but for now I've found what works for me.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I find them a lot better than a cartridge razor for shaving week old stubble. You rinse them and the stubble just washes out the razor.

Interesting..  I might have to bite the bullet and try one.

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Interesting..  I might have to bite the bullet and try one.

A lot of people recommend the Edwin Jäger 89 as a starter razor. It costs something like £30. 

I like the safety razor as:

1. Less plastic waste.

2 I can recycle the blades.

3. Blades makes in Russia.

4. A blade is under 10 pence.

5. It just seems to give a better shave.

28 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

A couple of weeks ago I got a little bit triggered by that hurty Gillette advert and had to retreat into my safe space for a bit. While I was in there I decided that if my razor company was going to brand me as a toxic honky rapist, I would passively-aggressively trash my old Mach 5, buy a proper fucking man's razor, and celebrate my male privilege for no other reason than that I'm a man, and I can.

Two weeks later, I'm i) surprisingly still alive, and ii) starting this thread so that us toxic masculine types can discuss our razors and various odds and sods.

I'll start by saying that after some sweat, toil, and a quite unholy amount of blood and tears, I have come to the conclusion that DE razors are the dog's whatsits, and I will not be returning to those cartridge jobbies any time soon.

Anyone else?

Welcome to the world of old school shaving using traditional brush, shaving cream/soap, double edged single blades and a traditional safety razor ;)

Been a couple of threads on here about this subject

14 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Ah, a fine choice of shop - got my first shaving starters kit from them.  Great price for blades.

Ironically the Gillette 7 o'clocks are pretty good blades, tried those and found Astra, Wilkinson Sword and Sharks (sharp as fuck, be careful!) were good.

Personal favourites are Personna blades & Wilkinson swords.

2 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Muhle R89

Personna Platinum blades

Taylor of old bond street shaving cream

badger shaving brush

quite a luxurious experience compared to multiblade

A fine choice!

Taylor's shaving cream is lovely but a bit on the pricey side, Truefitt and Hill are very good.

I'm currently using this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueFitt-Hill-Authentic-Finest-Shaving/dp/B005GPEWKI/

and this is absolutely lovely shaving cream:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Shaving-Soap-Tube-Green/dp/B00837ZOI0/

Get yourself a good badger hair shaving brush, a drip-stand to keep it dry and you're set

For shaving I'm currently using this razor

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132664-Merkur-HD-Barber-Pole-38C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284012413.html

If you've got large hands then try out razors as some are a bit 'stubby'

1 minute ago, JFK said:

Welcome to the world of old school shaving using traditional brush, shaving cream/soap, double edged single blades and a traditional safety razor ;)

Been a couple of threads on here about this subject

Ah, a fine choice of shop - got my first shaving starters kit from them.  Great price for blades.

Ironically the Gillette 7 o'clocks are pretty good blades, tried those and found Astra, Wilkinson Sword and Sharks (sharp as fuck, be careful!) were good.

Personal favourites are Personna blades & Wilkinson swords.

A fine choice!

Taylor's shaving cream is lovely but a bit on the pricey side, Truefitt and Hill are very good.

I'm currently using this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueFitt-Hill-Authentic-Finest-Shaving/dp/B005GPEWKI/

and this is absolutely lovely shaving cream:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Shaving-Soap-Tube-Green/dp/B00837ZOI0/

Get yourself a good badger hair shaving brush, a drip-stand to keep it dry and you're set

For shaving I'm currently using this razor

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132664-Merkur-HD-Barber-Pole-38C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284012413.html

If you've got large hands then try out razors as some are a bit 'stubby'

That razor alone is probably more than I've spent on shaving in the last 5 years O.o

Quick lather up while bent over the edge of the bath (don't have a shower) with Morrisons basics soap, a 2 minute scrape with the Wilkinsword protector and, good to go.

Lidl's two blade disposable which, since they have ceased to stock it and instead joined the three blade madness, I am now sharpening on denim thus extending the life of each blade to at least a month.

I have about 50 blades so in four years' time will be revisiting this thread for tips.

25 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

A lot of people recommend the Edwin Jäger 89 as a starter razor. It costs something like £30. 

I like the safety razor as:

1. Less plastic waste.

2 I can recycle the blades.

3. Blades makes in Russia.

4. A blade is under 10 pence.

5. It just seems to give a better shave.

Less irritation as well. Took me till my 40's to learn how to shave properly. I remember at Uni having a neck and chin filled with red raw spots and white heads from ingrown hairs at times. I do not want the closest shave a razor can give. I want something that leaves a slight protrusion in the hair so it doesn't get trapped. Single blades do this nicely, and combined with a good shave cream like Geo F Trumper lime, I'm almost enjoying shaving in the morning now.

26 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

quite a luxurious experience compared to multiblade

This has been a surprise revelation to me - having very quickly learned that it's simply not wise to rush shaving with a safety razor, I've had to adapt to taking my time and actually enjoying the experience rather than it being something I had to do so did as quickly as possible. The upside is that I'm shaving so much better I'm getting away with every other day unless I have face to face meetings.

4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

This has been a surprise revelation to me - having very quickly learned that it's simply not wise to rush shaving with a safety razor, I've had to adapt to taking my time and actually enjoying the experience rather than it being something I had to do so did as quickly as possible. The upside is that I'm shaving so much better I'm getting away with every other day unless I have face to face meetings.

Is it something you wouldn't recommend doing in the shower with no mirror, no shaving foam and as fast as possible then?  

Anyone using a safety razon have thick/hard stubble? Which blades do you find best?

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Is it something you wouldn't recommend doing in the shower with no mirror, no shaving foam and as fast as possible then?

Maybe guys with more experience could get away with that. For me at this stage it's a case of ensuring the presence of mirror, foam, a long weekend and St. John's Ambulance on standby.

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Anyone else?

#metoo

Got myself a butterfly style safety razor and 100 Derby blades. Cost me £15 with soap and a brush. I use a fresh blade every time. Never had such a good shave before and haven't cut myself yet.

If you wish to buy a DE razor then hotukdeals regulary have deals on them - they have perhaps the longest DE shaving thread going over there and are pretty obsessed by it all. So if you fancy trying it then you can often get the 2 or 3 razors that everyone chooses at a good discount.

It must be said that vintage ones are often in demand so do not rule out buying one if you come across one in a secondhand / charity shop. They take the same blades.

You have to be careful about the blades as some blades are much sharper than others. The advice is usually to try one of the less sharpish blades and GO SLOW.

Personally, I have seen two many videos of blokes shaving themselves what looks red raw with one pass and then repeating the pass. Not for me.