• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
NewryH

Black is black. Well not quite.

I see.  So it's absolutely fine if the actor is even of a different race from the character they portray (two examples below) as long as the difference is that they have darker skins.

les-mis-2018-bbc.jpg

Whereas when an actor has a lighter skin then that is just plain wrong.

Maybe Will Smith should black up a bit.

Posted (edited)

Hearing an office working African describe another African as a black man can be baffling, until you realise the black man is somoene who works outdoors so their skin is darker.

It's seen as a class issue, darker the skin, lower the class. White people call it snobbery.

Edited by snaga

1 hour ago, snaga said:

Hearing an office working African describe another African as a black man can be baffling, until you realise the black man is somoene who works outdoors so their skin is darker.

It's seen as a class issue, darker the skin, lower the class. White people call it snobbery.

We had to fight epic racism amongst the local workers in one tropical island.  One minute they were kicking off about the whites (with some justification in some cases!), and then the next at each other.  There were about three indigenous factions/heritages, each using racist names and slurs at each other.  Similar in another tropical island a long way away from the first (but only two factions there).  Racism is complex.

It is comments like these that make me glad to be a dosbodian. Cut through the crap and say it how it is. 

Keep up the good work people👍

The sum total of my response on reading this was a masterful ffs. 

15 minutes ago, Harley said:

Bring back the Black and White Minstrels!

As long as they are played by black and white people, and not by white and black people, as there would then be an awful fuss.

2 hours ago, Harley said:

We had to fight epic racism amongst the local workers in one tropical island.  One minute they were kicking off about the whites (with some justification in some cases!), and then the next at each other.  There were about three indigenous factions/heritages, each using racist names and slurs at each other.  Similar in another tropical island a long way away from the first (but only two factions there).  Racism is complex.

Sounds like the Ivory Coast. I remember going to a restaurant with the project manager. All the restaurants have guards outside with clubs. The manager - from Ghana - pointed to some bloke on the street and said to the guard (also black): "if that fucking nigger goes near my car, hit him".

3 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Great news for black British actors  who are already stealing all  the roles from black Americans 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39192560/samuel-l-jackson-dont-cast-british-actors-in-films-about-us-race-relations

Of course that may have something to do with them being cheaper.

There's this casual racism in that article that it deeply troubling.

From the use of 'brother' -- implying that black people have a closer relationship with the guy (cw white or Asian actors) when they're actually just random people -- to the disregard of those from other countries and cultures.  There's also this unsaid 'institutional racism' which suggests that acting roles require an actor with the same characteristics as the role -- it is called 'acting' FFS. 

[This seems everywhere -- I was listening to R4 the other day and it was seriously suggested that a 'blind role' should be played by a blind person.  This seems mad.  I'd actually have much more sympathy for a visually disabled person playing a 'not explicitly sighted role', where the dynamics of the role meant that the visual impairment wasn't important]

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's this casual racism in that article that it deeply troubling.

From the use of 'brother' -- implying that black people have a closer relationship with the guy (cw white or Asian actors) when they're actually just random people -- to the disregard of those from other countries and cultures.  There's also this unsaid 'institutional racism' which suggests that acting roles require an actor with the same characteristics as the role -- it is called 'acting' FFS. 

[This seems everywhere -- I was listening to R4 the other day and it was seriously suggested that a 'blind role' should be played by a blind person.  This seems mad.  I'd actually have much more sympathy for a visually disabled person playing a 'not explicitly sighted role', where the dynamics of the role meant that the visual impairment wasn't important]

I am thinking of casting Samuel L Jackson as Hitler in my all black remake of Downfall to show that colour plays no part in my giving jobs to actors.

Edited by Virgil Caine

4 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I am thinking of casting Samuel Jackson as Hitler in my all black remake of Downfall to show that colour plays no part in my giving jobs to actors.

I believe there's scarcely a film made without Mr Jackson in it.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I believe there's scarcely a film made without Mr Jackson in it.

I always get Samuel L Jackson confused with Denzil Washington or that other black actor that's been in lots of films.

2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I always get Samuel L Jackson confused with Denzil Washington or that other black actor that's been in lots of films.

On the matter of 'They all look the same to me...', I read this this morning and found it amusing...

Hipster whines at tech mag for using his pic to imply hipsters look the same, discovers pic was of an entirely different hipster