• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Who ate all the pies?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-6781349/Sales-Greggs-1bn-time-amid-extraordinary-popularity-vegan-sausage-roll.html

Hyped-up publicity surrounding the launch of a vegan sausage roll helped Greggs achieve annual sales of over £1billion for the first time last year.

The company's boss, Roger Whiteside, said the group had spent 'millions of pounds' transforming the way people view the brand.

The bakery has been ploughing cash into store re-fits, healthier food options and is now looking to move into the evening food market, Mr Whiteside told BBC Today.

That's a lot of pies   O.o

I wonder if he will be looking to sell up soon?

I don’t go frequently,  but the last time I went in quality seemed to be down and prices up.

So boost the apparent profitability of the company,  get a good bit of media coverage and then sell up before it all goes down hill?

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I wonder if he will be looking to sell up soon?

I don’t go frequently,  but the last time I went in quality seemed to be down and prices up.

So boost the apparent profitability of the company,  get a good bit of media coverage and then sell up before it all goes down hill?

It's probably peak Fatso soon too, a recession will have people eating less and making their own sandwiches.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Wanna fucking bet? ;)

I'm sure we will be treated to the spectacle of obese people who have rarely or never worked saying they don't have enough to eat and are struggling to feed their kids at foodbanks. But if the recession is long and deep enough, everyone will have to buckle down a bit. There hasn't been one in the UK now since 1992, and that one was mildish - so recessions are beyond living memory for many now.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'm sure we will be treated to the spectacle of obese people who have rarely or never worked saying they don't have enough to eat and are struggling to feed their kids at foodbanks. But if the recession is long and deep enough, everyone will have to buckle down a bit. There hasn't been one in the UK now since 1992, and that one was mildish - so recessions are beyond living memory for many now.

Be interesting to see if there is actually a recession.

As you say I've not experienced one as an adult. Back in 92 NI was still a warzone so wasn't really comparable to the rest of the UK at that time anyway.

Certainly doesn't seem like there's a recession coming in Belfast the way house prices are being pushed up, but perhaps when recessions hit the realization is sudden?

Edited by JoeDavola

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Whouldn't that, technically, be a depression? Something that should of happened 10 years ago but Gordo had an election to win so bank bailouts, ZIRP and scrapage scheme ahoy.

Thing is, if we do get an actual depression, it'll probably be the tipping point for civil disobedience/full on civil war. Things could get nasty very quickly.

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

Certainly around here Pound Bakery has eaten Greggs lunch.

There used to be students lining up around the block for their Greggs steak slice, now they go to Pound Bakery for fine dining.

The only Greggs I've seen lately with a similar queue was at Liverpool Uni. Where there is no Pound Bakery.

For these people, making their own sandwiches is as likely as making their own shoes.