• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TheBlueCat

Unexpected Emotional Responses

Posted (edited)

I've been watching Lucifer on Netflix (on my laptop as I now have no TV after a house re-org). It's funny, clever and surprisingly thoughtful for a TV series but it is still just that a TV series that will likely be completely forgotten in 20 years time. Anyway, the episode I watched last night had the two lead characters (Lucifer Morningstar & Chloe Decker) dancing to Yazoo's All I Ever Knew under an 80s disco glitter ball. Part of the plot is will they ever actually get in on (likely not for lots of reasons) and this was an ongoing part of that. For reasons I still haven't figured out, the scene pretty much had me in tears. I don't think I'm in the early stages of Alzheimer's and I don't have any brain tumour symptoms or whatever so I have to conclude there was something in it related to my own past & feelings but I'm buggered if I can figure out what. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Edited by TheBlueCat

5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've been watching Lucifer on Netflix (on my laptop as I now have no TV after a house re-org). It's funny, clever and surprisingly thoughtful for a TV series but it is still just that a TV series that will likely be completely forgotten in 20 years time. Anyway, the episode I watched last night had the two lead characters (Lucifer Morningstar & Chloe Decker) dancing to Yazoo's All I Ever Knew under an 80s disco glitter ball. Part of the plot is will they ever actually get in on (likely not for lots of reasons) and this was an ongoing part of that. For reasons I still haven't figured out, the scene pretty much had me in tears. I don't think I'm in the early stages of Alzheimer's and I don't have any brain tumour symptoms or whatever so I have to conclude there was something in it related to my own past & feelings but I'm buggered if I can figure out what. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Spent ages trying to find it (ie Lucifer) on my Netflix account ... and couldn't locate it. >:(  Grr. How come?

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Music, sounds, smells can conjour up powerful memories and emotions. Perhaps whatever was stirred in your subconscious will reach your conscious mind soon.

quite a few films can make women cry,ghost being one.possably one of the most emotional film for men brought up by single mothers or effeminate men might be the ending of the classic western shane.was haveing a beer at a friends house i was maybe 14 when we stumbled over it anyway we watched the film and at the end he was crying and saying to me why am i crying....a most aquard moment i can tell you.i just said your pissed and changed the subject.

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

quite a few films can make women cry,ghost being one.possably one of the most emotional film for men brought up by single mothers or effeminate men might be the ending of the classic western shane.was haveing a beer at a friends house i was maybe 14 when we stumbled over it anyway we watched the film and at the end he was crying and saying to me why am i crying....a most aquard moment i can tell you.i just said your pissed and changed the subject.

Jean Arthur, who played the female lead in 'Shane', was one of the most famous actresses of the 1930's. She made so much money that she retired in the 40's, returning only for 'Shane' some years later. She has a very odd tight perm hairstyle in the film that was all the rage in the 1950's.

It is said that after she retired from acting that she never wore female clothing again. She was briefly married, for a few months I think, in the late 1930's to, IIRC, a Hollywood costume or set designer. Maybe your friend was getting the vibe.

The tears were due to your unconscious being reminded of the Flying Pickets version.

32 minutes ago, whocares said:

Spent ages trying to find it (ie Lucifer) on my Netflix account ... and couldn't locate it. >:(  Grr. How come?

I think the op lives in Canada? I believe different countries have different content available.

heart ok ? can cause an emotional response

32 minutes ago, whocares said:

Because it's on Amazon not Netflix.

35 minutes ago, whocares said:

It’s on Amazon Prime in the UK for the moment. Coming to Netflix some time this year I believe.

Posted (edited)

i think you're crying because you subconciously know that netflix will be dead and buried one day due to the cash burn they generate, either that or some such shit as sky or disney or amazon (but could be bbc+ch4) will take themover and fill them with absolute shit and whack the price up 10 fold - after which they will die off like friends reunited.

Either that or maybe you had something in your eye, or maybe you had gas/had been chopping onions. I cant think of any other reason to cry.

Edited by leonardratso

3 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i think you're crying because you subconciously know that netflix will be dead and buried one day due to the cash burn they generate, either that or some such shit as sky or disney or amazon (but could be bbc+ch4) will take themover and fill them with absolute shit and whack the price up 10 fold - after which they will die off like friends reunited.

Either that or maybe you had something in your eye, or maybe you had gas/had been chopping onions. I cant think of any other reason to cry.

i use the girlfriends netflix pass,i dont have a tv license.i could use her amazon prime has well or her sky go account and watch everything she has for free but i dont know if you can put sky go on a firestick.but the fact remains whats the point netflix is costing me fuck all and theres tens of thousands of hours worth of shit on youtube sometimes less is more.but why should i care im not paying for it the tax payer is.i honestly dont know why she needs all 3 (and the So-Called BBC license)saying that.i dont give a fuck if all 3 go bancrupt tommorow.

17 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i use the girlfriends netflix pass,i dont have a tv license.i could use her amazon prime has well or her sky go account and watch everything she has for free but i dont know if you can put sky go on a firestick.but the fact remains whats the point netflix is costing me fuck all and theres tens of thousands of hours worth of shit on youtube sometimes less is more.but why should i care im not paying for it the tax payer is.i honestly dont know why she needs all 3 (and the So-Called BBC license)saying that.i dont give a fuck if all 3 go bancrupt tommorow.

aye, meniether, i hardly watch anything, esp. not terrestrial TV, not much of interest there for me. Ill stick with my VHS rips of ISIS propaganda videos, nobody knows ive watched them, no digital traces left, the religious singing is quite funky as well. Cant get with the imam speeches though, too long and repetitive.

5 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

aye, meniether, i hardly watch anything, esp. not terrestrial TV, not much of interest there for me. Ill stick with my VHS rips of ISIS propaganda videos, nobody knows ive watched them, no digital traces left, the religious singing is quite funky as well. Cant get with the imam speeches though, too long and repetitive.

i stick with watching my camcorder reruns,though i had about 12 hours on a couple of scandisks and the xx stole them when she asked me to leave.at least she let me have my tripod back i put some hard work into some of them.

7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes and with that very song! It's a cornerstone of the Office (Uk version) Christmas special. 

I think if you’re of a certain age that track’s got a very last school disco (before proms were imported to this country) or leaving party/office Christmas party vibe which is why it was so effective in the last episode of the UK Office as mentioned.

That had a lot of big really recognisable themes, like regretting not asking that girl out that type of stuff and I think it does push buttons. Holding back the years, by Simply Red, at the disco when Rodney leaves home on Only Fools is another similar thing.

13 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

A beautiful post.  Probably just missing your telly!

14 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Having slept on it, the last time I got such an emotional response to a piece of music was from the 1812 overture in V for Vendetta (I even mentioned it on the forum!). Pretty sure that confirms me as a psycho.

10 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Obviously you should have kissed him.