• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Tweaks that could make something much better

Realised this on one of my drives around the Island where the speed limit can change every 500m and they love speed cameras.

My Sat nav has a build in speed camera alert. It beeps when you are getting near one. But when it beeps, you have to first look at the sat nav to double check the current limit, and also check your speed.

Why can't it just make a different noise (claxon?) When it calculates that there is a camera and you are going above the current limit?

Such an easy fix would make it so much better.

35 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Realised this on one of my drives around the Island where the speed limit can change every 500m and they love speed cameras.

My Sat nav has a build in speed camera alert. It beeps when you are getting near one. But when it beeps, you have to first look at the sat nav to double check the current limit, and also check your speed.

Why can't it just make a different noise (claxon?) When it calculates that there is a camera and you are going above the current limit?

You need a HUD - heads up display. Can't wait for one of those that tells you that you need to watch an advert at a really dangerous moment.

33 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I'm surprised that they're allowed to notify of the location of the camera in the first place.

It is funny how the SJWs don't protest parliament about these terrible alerts that encourage speeding.

[I have a feeling that they can't have different tones because that would actually 'encourage' speeding -- ie, they're then actively allowing you to speed, rather than just keeping you informed.  There is also the psychological impact of them 'knowing that you're breaking the law' (why don't they report that to the local police, say) -- just pinging without any other judgement is a neutral statement]

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You need a HUD - heads up display. Can't wait for one of those that tells you that you need to watch an advert at a really dangerous moment.

I have an IEA (in ear alert).

Mrs Flight shouts 'speed camera' in a very aggressive way.

Which is a bit rude as she is the one who has been caught twice.

30 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm surprised that they're allowed to notify of the location of the camera in the first place.

It is funny how the SJWs don't protest parliament about these terrible alerts that encourage speeding.

[I have a feeling that they can't have different tones because that would actually 'encourage' speeding -- ie, they're then actively allowing you to speed, rather than just keeping you informed.  There is also the psychological impact of them 'knowing that you're breaking the law' (why don't they report that to the local police, say) -- just pinging without any other judgement is a neutral statement]

Road Angel have been around for a while...

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/products/speed-camera-radar-laser-detector-reviews/

Of course, speed camera locations are useful but many will want the device for laser gun detection. The Pure can legally detect handheld lasers, under the current law, but while there is an option in the Pure app to switch on/off “Camera Van” detection, but the company points out that it is actually illegal to detect the new type of laser used in Safety Camera vans, so these are actually fed to Pure users using GPS ‘zone’ locations.

Users can then mark these locations as “live” by double-tapping the volume button on the top of the device, with the information being fed back to the database.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Get with the program man. Its called a hack nowadays. 

Quite. Pouring your dinner into a plastic bag is apparently a "brilliant new travel hack" according to the So-Called BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ccbb0c7f-47f6-41fe-a48b-fcd7fec61bd1

Edited by The Idiocrat

2 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Quite. Pouring your dinner into a plastic bag is apparently a "brilliant new travel hack" according to the So-Called BBC:

Dear oh dear.  That is apparently a "genius hack".

How old is the person who wrote that article, twelve?

15 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My old car used to give me a bollocking through the sat-nav if I exceeded the speed limit. Thing was, it was done in a vaguely Teutonic sounding voice so the bollocking carried a bit more gravitas

"You are breaking ze zpeed limit!"

I'd always slow down as I wasn't sure if the car also had some built-in method of shooting me in the back of the head if I stayed above the limit too long.

12 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

I prefer: 'Fucking slob with bad timekeeping tips his food into a plastic bag like a hobo and dribbles it all over the floor of an airport - because he's a fucking slob.'

I resent these people using my valuable oxygen.

16 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

it could just shout the correct speed and distance to camera? My old TomTom would flag cameras and stamp the correct speed very obviously across the screen. 

1 hour ago, The Idiocrat said:

There are thousands of 'life hack' videos on Yuhtoobe. They are all risible.

Spend 2 hours making a shite makeshift alternative to some proper gadget you could buy for 99p on eBay.

Next one.

Standard and very frequent conversation in the flight household for many years...

'I can't find my phone'

'Ok, I'll call it so we can find it'

'I had it on silent'

'Twat'

So we just need a simple thing like adding a two number password after ringing a mobile that turns the ringer back on.

Would have saved me hours finding the kids' bloody phones.

8 hours ago, BurntBread said:

For those starting to learn the piano: there should be two ledger lines between the staves, not one.

Notes for black keys could be printed in black, and white key notes could be printed in white.

(On white paper that would make everything read like it is in a pentatonic scale :()

Posted (edited)

The designers of my kettle could have maybe tweaked things slightly so that the bastard thing poured smoothly and didn’t fucking splatter boiling water all over the bloody place. One would have thought. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Next one.

Standard and very frequent conversation in the flight household for many years...

'I can't find my phone'

'I had it on silent'

'Twat'

So we just need a simple thing like adding a two number password after ringing a mobile that turns the ringer back on.

Most phones you can set up a number (maybe your mobile or house phone) to make the phone ring even if it’s on silent. I’m pretty sure apple and android phones can do this. Priority caller or something similar it’s called I think. 

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Next one.

'I can't find my phone'

'I had it on silent'

'Twat'

I had this issue. But then I discovered ‘play sound’ on IoS Find my Phone.  Boy that noise is loud and annoying.  So now sometimes I just set it off for fun.

On 09/03/2019 at 19:51, spunko said:

What's the police presence like on the IoW? Maybe a bit of GATSO jihad is needed, now there's a tweak hack.

How did they get the tyre onto the crossbar of the camera?

1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

How did they get the tyre onto the crossbar of the camera?

To be honest my question used to be "why did they just sit there and not get the FUCK out before the police came"

Then I went on the back of a 1200cc and realised.

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Next one.

'I can't find my phone'

'I had it on silent'

'Twat'

This is why I have my wife's login details to use Android Device Finder!

5 hours ago, spunko said:

To be honest my question used to be "why did they just sit there and not get the FUCK out before the police came"

Then I went on the back of a 1200cc and realised.

Ha yes that would explain it. But if they had gotten the fuck out of dodge, then there wouldn't have been a video of it, would there?