• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

1960s decor. About to make a comeback

Need to know before I rip out the avocado bathroom suite

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-6755695/Timewarp-Edinburgh-bungalow-sale-valuable-60s-furniture.html

From the outside, it looks like a rather bland bungalow with little to entice buyers in.

But take a step over the threshold of this Edinburgh property for sale for £310,000 and it's like going back to the 1960s, with a treasure trove of retro interior design delights on display, including some vintage furniture that's back in fashion.

Experts suggest that the furniture designs are so sought-after today that they could fetch thousands of pounds.

A much more interesting and stylish 1960's table on eBay. £60

image.png.ae0b3bfd6fc5e042fd071b726de7f2ae.png

Also, Ercol and G-Plan made good quality solid wood (usually teak) furniture and some of it is stylish in a retro sort of way.

Tons of it about and people are practially giving it away on eBay.

2 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I didn't know they had flat screen TVs back in the 1960s.

What? Have you never watched Thunderbirds???

That bungalow is pretty cool! B| The kitchen looks more 1970s in style imo.

You should have have seen my late uncle's tower block council flat! He never 'left home' as it were so he always lived with his (and my mum's) mum. He fought in the Korean war and was in Kenya in the 1950s as well so it appeared that he may have suffered from PTSD before the term was ever used.

Their mum died in 1974. Anyhow a few months after her husband died I suppose they decided the family sized council house in Lakenham (south Norwich) was too large/expensive so they moved to a 2 bedroomed 13th floor flat in March 1966. Designed by Wimpey would you believe! It was probably decorated before they moved in but never decorated again. I only remember the flat from the late 1970s to 1993/4. It had a patterned carpet which was a bit trippy and a large round coffee table with a piece of glass in the middle. Uncle was a heavy smoker and beside the rocking chair was his 'stand alone' chrome ashtray which I thought was a pretty cool looking thing. There was no three piece suite, just the rocking chair and three other single high back chairs that weren't very comfortable.

The music centre was a Prinz Sound which was either 1960s or even 1950s. A table top record player, amp and radio. Or 'wireless' as he referred to it.

Sadly he suffered a stroke in 1993 and it meant rehousing to a tiny 'over 60s' bungalow to the east of Norwich where the rest of the siblings were living. I think that psychadelic 1960s carpet practically disintegrated as it was taken up. We had to borrow a key from the caretaker to extend some panels in the lift to carry out the beds and other bulky items. He passed away in April 1994.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Need to know before I rip out the avocado bathroom suite

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-6755695/Timewarp-Edinburgh-bungalow-sale-valuable-60s-furniture.html

From the outside, it looks like a rather bland bungalow with little to entice buyers in.

But take a step over the threshold of this Edinburgh property for sale for £310,000 and it's like going back to the 1960s, with a treasure trove of retro interior design delights on display, including some vintage furniture that's back in fashion.

Experts suggest that the furniture designs are so sought-after today that they could fetch thousands of pounds.

Under offer already, looks horrible from the outside, kinda cool inside though. Furniture suits the house. 

I wonder what it will sell for, on at offers over £310k so maybe £330k, maybe getting on for £400k since it’s had media attention, it does need money spent on it though. The selling price data should be available after a couple of months of so, I’d be interested to know how mad it went.

This is it :

https://espc.com/property/33-craigs-road-edinburgh/35732087?sid=982188

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Under offer already, looks horrible from the outside, kinda cool inside though. Furniture suits the house. 

I wonder what it will sell for, on at offers over £310k so maybe £330k, maybe getting on for £400k since it’s had media attention, it does need money spent on it though. The selling price data should be available after a couple of months of so, I’d be interested to know how mad it went.

This is it :

Is that expensive for that part of the world?  Unless you wanted to live in a Timewarp, it will need a lot of money thrown at it 

13 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is that expensive for that part of the world?  Unless you wanted to live in a Timewarp, it will need a lot of money thrown at it 

Kinda, it’s not near the centre of town, but on the western edge of the city and while you can buy cheapish places in dodgy areas of Edinburgh that’d not be possible there where that 60s house is. Three bed detached houses near there would be £350-450k if they were ready to live in. Maybe knock off £50-60k for the new everything and paint you will need to buy. I reckon the media attention will have too many bidders and it will end up going for too much- £350k or above. 

There’s a fancier bit sorta near to that house, houses there go for loads more, that woman who wrote the book about the wizard lives in that bit of town. She’s a billionaire supposedly, Harry Potter is the wizard’s name. 

Crazy house prices and crazier rents, it’s awful really. 

I mostly like the big garage that house has. I like a big garage. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

57 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

That bungalow is pretty cool! B| The kitchen looks more 1970s in style imo.

Looks like the 'brown furniture' some old person would have had in the 60s mixed in with some 80s sofas and some 70s fittings

Edited by Panther

3 hours ago, Panther said:

Looks like the 'brown furniture' some old person would have had in the 60s mixed in with some 80s sofas and some 70s fittings

Yes, would say this is the case. The original owners probably weren't 1960s groovers, but were given the wooden bedroom furniture by Auntie Maud when they got married. It was never replaced as it was so well-made. The kitchen cupboards and the bathroom fittings were probably from the 70s when the owners were in a position to upgrade. Sofas look 80s to me too. My parents had a long wickerwork seat like the one in the bedroom, too; they probably bought it in the 50s or early 60s.

Not sure if you'd get thousands for the furniture though, except in hipster areas. My previous charity shop had an original 70s tiled coffee table brought in a couple of years ago. It attracted zero interest from the (working-class) customers, and eventually went for a tenner to a pair of art students who'd wandered in from the local college.

Nice house though..inside..I could live happily somewhere decorated like that. Plenty of space too. The outside is hideous though!

( I used to read a site called gonkedglookedslurped.blogspot.com which featured really zany American 60s design, if anyone is into that sort of thing. I loved the Nauga Monsters. )

13 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

This is it :

I think the interior is great. The wooden ceiling is very 1960s/70s but it is high and suits the interior.

The exterior wouldn't look so bad if the rendering was painted white, or perhaps had some sort of wood cladding cover.

The airbricks in the facade are a bit odd, though...

I'd replace the Avocado Suite with a Pampas Suite though ... :D

36 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I think the interior is great. The wooden ceiling is very 1960s/70s but it is high and suits the interior.

The exterior wouldn't look so bad if the rendering was painted white, or perhaps had some sort of wood cladding cover.

The airbricks in the facade are a bit odd, though...

I'd replace the Avocado Suite with a Pampas Suite though ... :D

A pampas suite?