• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
I'll Handle it

Help with dropped kerb application

The area I live in has become East London init. A guy I work with was mugged by 5 Yoofs just up the road from where I live. Used to be a nice area, now it's a multi-kulti sh*t hole. Long story short is I'm getting out but in the mean time I decided to apply for dropped kerb.

I sent of the application with £130.00 and it was sent back saying I needed to include a OS map @ 1:500. I've looked online and it appears there's no way of producing this image without paying for it ? Any suggestions please ?

If it's anything like a normal planning application then you'll need a Location Plan and a Site Plan and it needs to be to scale when printed - this point being extremely important or Tracey in Planning validation will just hit the 'reject' button without bothering to think to enlarge it and that's another week lost waiting for her to re-validate. I tried to submit several 'free' ones but in the end found it much easier just to buy them from somewhere like this for ~£9 and forget about it. Given that the entire planning process can take months, it isn't worth delaying it for the sake of a few quid.

Also, despite what they say, the entire planning application system is convoluted - I suspect intentionally so. If you sort of your own plans and make sure that they're valid from the get-go, you'll already be ahead of 90% of people who just use a planning company or agent. And there's nothing worse than a clued-up individual in the council's eyes.

Go to your library with a bit of tracing paper. Ask for the OS Map records for the area and trace your house, street and immediate area. Outline your house against which the planning application is for. Dont forget to put a compass point on it and there you are, a site plan than will meet planing requirements.

2 hours ago, I'll Handle it said:

The area I live in has become East London init. A guy I work with was mugged by 5 Yoofs just up the road from where I live. Used to be a nice area, now it's a multi-kulti sh*t hole. Long story short is I'm getting out but in the mean time I decided to apply for dropped kerb.

I sent of the application with £130.00 and it was sent back saying I needed to include a OS map @ 1:500. I've looked online and it appears there's no way of producing this image without paying for it ? Any suggestions please ?

Not advice but in my county people just do things and then get retrospective planning.  Everyone does it and it seems the Council actually supports it, seemingly especially if......or....!  They don't even have any enforcement officers!  Complain and they'll delay for as long as possible (with the most pathetic of excuses) then when it's all done say "oh dear, too late now, let's regularise it by approving a retrospective planning application"!

Edited by Harley

On 10/03/2019 at 18:52, Bricks & Mortar said:

If its anything like where I live, they reject anything that hasn't been paid for.  You're buying the right to reproduce the map/plan in an official document. 
Mine even demanded to see the receipt.

The epitome of bureaucracy. They accepted mine and no receipt required. However, I can't understand why in this information age, a print out of a map is required for a dropped kerb.

Well I had a response back from Southend Council and they rejected my application and of course they pocketed my £130.00 (plus I'm down on the map purchase). The reason given is there's not enough room on my drive for a car.

The reason I'm unhappy is that literally dozens of houses in my street and surrounding streets have exactly the same size drive, and their application was granted. I'm assuming that they have changed the rules ?

1 minute ago, I'll Handle it said:

Well I had a response back from Southend Council and they rejected my application and of course they pocketed my £130.00 (plus I'm down on the map purchase). The reason given is there's not enough room on my drive for a car.

The reason I'm unhappy is that literally dozens of houses in my street and surrounding streets have exactly the same size drive, and their application was granted. I'm assuming that they have changed the rules ?

Did you have to provide details of your car?  Round by me they take account of the size of it. 

Mid so best to buy an old scrapper very small car 

On 10/03/2019 at 17:55, Agent ZigZag said:

Go to your library with a bit of tracing paper. Ask for the OS Map records for the area and trace your house, street and immediate area. Outline your house against which the planning application is for. Dont forget to put a compass point on it and there you are, a site plan than will meet planing requirements.

Or travel in time to 20th century and take a photo copy 

Travel further forward and take a photo of the map with a smart phone 😜

On 10/03/2019 at 18:44, I'll Handle it said:

Thanks for all your help - I paid £12.00is in the end. Not the cheapest option but they accepted Paypal.  I like the library idea but I have 3 weeks to get this approved or I risk losing my £130.00 fee.

Hi there,

IMHO of doing all things with property and council it pays to pay for anything that saves time, tools, advice, maps etc. 

Money you earn back, time you don't and stress may well cost you time at the end. 

Good luck with the application and moving out of London. Keep us posted :) 

2 hours ago, Malthus said:

Or travel in time to 20th century and take a photo copy 

Travel further forward and take a photo of the map with a smart phone 😜

Photocopier works but the phone would be tricky with 1:500 printed scale.