• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Doublethink?

I have just heard a smashing piece of reasoning dissonance on the radio. Did you spot it? Apparently some British cities are pressing for a "Congestion Charge" with the the purpose of "reducing air pollution". It's not to reduce congestion then, is it? This will benefit nobody!

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Similar to a sign I saw on two closed lanes on the M5 a few years ago when heading (slowly) to Cornwall.

'These lanes have been closed to ease congestion.'

Pardon?

Common problem, slight hearing loss is often associated with congestion

Posted (edited)

I'm not convinced these will last, if they try them, nowhere else has the draw of London. I think Durham?, or somewhere, has one already. Might fly in Oxford where it's already anti-car. Most cities I think will just see a huge drop in visitor numbers unless they're touristy.

Edited by SNACR

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I'm not convinced these will last, if they try them, nowhere else has the draw of London. I think Durham?, or somewhere, has one already. Might fly in Oxford where it's already anti-car. Most cities I think will just see a huge drop in visitor numbers unless they're touristy.

Keep them visiters out! They are just not "local":S

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

I would rather have stuff personally delivered by Yaroslav Kolisnyk in his white Vauxhall Vivaro CDTi Biturbo than venture into the big city for anything these days.

The way it's going, and saves all those shops the expensive business rates.

16 minutes ago, SNACR said:

CRE already pressured, the tourist serving sector probably would still be OK but would kipper the local suppliers/outlets and subsequent loss of business rates would ensue. Bath's congestion charge just been knocked back and looks like it will not include cars (but I bet they come back to the table later and have another go).

42 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have just heard a smashing piece of reasoning dissonance on the radio. Did you spot it? Apparently some British cities are pressing for a "Congestion Charge" with the the purpose of "reducing air pollution". It's not to reduce congestion then, is it? This will benefit nobody!

I bet David Icke predicted this, years ago, somewhere among five hours of other rambling shit.

1 minute ago, eight said:

I bet David Icke predicted this, years ago, somewhere among five hours of other rambling shit.

Is there nothing he did not predict? Should have stuck to football!

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Is there nothing he did not predict? Should have stuck to football!

I predict there will be football. Attend my seminar!

1 minute ago, eight said:

I predict there will be football. Attend my seminar!

Yes, there are so many things I do not believe, and I need to believe more. How much is it, and do I get a free pen?

Congestion charges create friction to travel.. especially from those "out of town".

When I drive down to London I avoid going anywhere inside the M25,  simply because I have no idea what the rules are and can't be doing with the hassle.

I guess if I needed to go there on business I would make an effort if there was no other choice..  but even then I'd probably go a little as possible, as opposed to other customers who I might make more effort to build relationships with.

The same with the new Runcorn bridge,  I just avoid the area..   if I need to cross the Mersey I head through Warrington or the M6 instead.

If any of the other cities nearby did the same (Manchester were talking about it) that's another place I would try to avoid both for business and pleasure.

So in terms of discouraging people driving to / visiting these places..   yes,  it works.  But it will probably have the effect of moving the problem into other areas.   If emissions are the problem,  it would probably be better just to incentivise the conversion to electric vehicles more quickly.   If traffic volumes and congestion are the problem then it would be better to start knocking down inner city housing and build better roads (like they did recently in Liverpool).  That and / or start to address the ever growing population problem.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

It's not quite so bizarre as you've made it sound. Let me mansplain :-

What it will do is reduce both congestion and air pollution by driving poorer plebs onto buses and trains or bikes, while richer people cruise into town and park for free in their expensive electric cars. 

So it will benefit someone - rich people with Teslas or similar. I expect they'll introduce some sort of subsidised electric car system for councillors too, possibly with a special lane for them like the old KGB lanes in Moscow.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It's not quite so bizarre as you've made it sound. Let me mansplain :-

What it will do is reduce both congestion and air pollution by driving poorer plebs onto buses and trains or bikes, while richer people cruise into town and park for free in their expensive electric cars. 

So it will benefit someone - rich people with Teslas or similar. I expect they'll introduce some sort of subsidised electric car system for councillors too, possibly with a special lane for them like the old KGB lanes in Moscow.

Well, when the councillors get there in the chauffeured Zil, they will find no shops.

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well, when the councillors get there in the chauffeured Zil, they will find no shops.

Possibly. I expect they'll maintain what they want by inventing a special status for non-pleb shops and giving them a business rates rebate, called something like "heritage".

The plebs can all go and park their diesels in out-of-town centres next to the motorway, suck up the fumes, shop at Primark and eat Greggs sandwiches.