• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Fake sign language interpreter - and she did it for free

4 minutes ago, 201p said:

No crime but an ethical violation. Lucky it didn't happen in the UK, West Yorkshire Police would probably have shot her.

It might happen in the UK if you need to get your credits/work experience. 

She's quite convincing, maybe it's her liberal interpretation of sign language. Although if she studied it and got a qualification then she could do it properly!

Given everywhere has subtitles now anyway, it just seems like more excuse to throw about money we can ill afford.

I guess if commercial TV channels want to do it, thats up to them. Don't see why public services like Police should have the budgets to do so though. 

14 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I love people who do this sort of thing, simply because I have absolutely no idea what they get out of doing it, so assume it must just be for a laugh.

Reminds me of the old (probably untrue) story where a judge asked if anyone in court spoke German and could act as interpreter for a German witness testimony. Bloke says he can do it, stands up in front of everyone and kicks proceedings off by asking the witness, "Vot eez your name?"

Ha I remember that story, think he got jailed for contempt

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

I love people who do this sort of thing, simply because I have absolutely no idea what they get out of doing it, so assume it must just be for a laugh.

Reminds me of the old (probably untrue) story where a judge asked if anyone in court spoke German and could act as interpreter for a German witness testimony. Bloke says he can do it, stands up in front of everyone and kicks proceedings off by asking the witness, "Vot eez your name?"

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/15-year-old-steals-bus-drives-its-route/

Posted (edited)

There was a BBC sign interpeter whose partner, in his 50's, went off with a young production assistant, who rapidly - surprise, surprise - became a producer, in her 20's.

So the story goes the partner, a TV Exec, had his car and house smelling of fish for many months afterwards. IIRC he had to get rid of the car. The sign interpreter had, allegedly, sewn frozen prawns into his curtains and stuffed them into various bits of the engine.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
typo, found one, can't be arsed looking for more.

6 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Edited by Charles Carter
Deleted because the Uncle Albert reference had already been mentioned a few posts above.

Does anyone else think having a 'signer' is just another form of virtue-signalling - 'look how inclusive we are!'  Most deafos can lip read and if it's a televised event there's no need for it as it will be subtitled.

That's why it's always a laugh when it backfires.