• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
NewryH

So, have I just robbed a bank?

Well obviously I haven't. But I have been double credited.

Yesterday i put in £400 cash using an envelope and pay slip as the auto machine doesn't accept new plastic notes. And the bank has recorded two entries of £400. It's still there now.

Now, do I say I didn't notice and spunk it on scratchcards and get my 'daily mail sad face chav it wasn't my fault' look perfected. 

Or own up in 6 months time and hope they can't prove it was an error.

Or own up now. It's theft. I'm going to jail to be someone's bitch. 

Personally I think they'll notice by the end of today.

38 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Yesterday i put in £400 cash using an envelope and pay slip as the auto machine doesn't accept new plastic notes. And the bank has recorded two entries of £400. It's still there now.

Now, do I say I didn't notice and spunk it on scratchcards and get my 'daily mail sad face chav it wasn't my fault' look perfected. 

How many people actually check their bank statements?  Keep sthum. If it were an individual, then yes, own up. A bank, nah. Remember how much they have stolen from the sap taxpayer. 

When they discover the error they'll take the money out whenever they want, whether you've got funds or not. 

I'd put the cash to one side (second account) and wait long enough (6 months).  If it stays in your account more than a couple of days then wait for them to take their money back and if they do moan at them stealing your money -- they'll give you an apology payment (and you can put the £400 back so that you're not actually driven to OD).

50 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I had about £140k appear erroneously in my account when I was a student. It sat there for about 5 weeks then vanished again. Bank never contacted me to explain. Annoying as by the time it disappeared I was just starting to be convinced no-one would notice and it was a nice “little” windfall.

They will just take it from your account when they realise. 

I have the tee shirt on a situation similar to yours.  Banks are utters wankers. 

Say nothing though, obviously! 

I'll keep quiet but I know it will be taken at some point.

Just wonder if it will be different as it was cash going in and not an electronic payment.

I suppose they will do a count of how much cash is in the branch and realise they are £400 down.

My mum worked in a bank in the olden days and they couldn't leave at night if the cash drawers didnt tally exactly.

I'd just call the bank, ask them where that extra money came from (could be legit, you never know) and sleep like a baby. Same with taxes by the way.

4 minutes ago, kibuc said:

I'd just call the bank, ask them where that extra money came from (could be legit, you never know) and sleep like a baby. Same with taxes by the way.

Its not legit. I put in £400 cash and there are two entries for the same  time.

8 minutes ago, NewryH said:

There might be running a promo you're not aware of :)

Anyway, I think it's always a good idea to be straight up with entities that can make your life seriously miserable. I don't know your personal circumstances, but for me that extra £400 would not be worth the stress.

3 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Anyway, I think it's always a good idea to be straight up with entities that can make your life seriously miserable. I don't know your personal circumstances, but for me that extra £400 would not be worth the stress.

I know. And I'll likely crack as I'll probably burst out crying if I walk past a branch or a copper!

No part of me is thinking I'm  actually £400 better off.

4 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Saying nothing is NOT doing anything wrong though.  Some people hardly ever check their bank statements. 

1 minute ago, Iamcynical said:

Saying nothing is NOT doing anything wrong though.  Some people hardly ever check their bank statements. 

I wouldn't notice until the next month or so.  I really don't check that often.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

It'd take a few seconds to check whether you have logged in and visited your statement page since. Even more obvious if you move that money anywhere, like putting it in a savings account.

Besides, my point is not about being in the wrong, but about the overhanging threat of being forced to explain/defend yourself, or maybe suddenly realising 3 years later that the money is no longer there (while you have already forgotten how it got there in the first place). As much as I'd love to stick it to the Man, it doesn't seem worthwile.

Edited by kibuc

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Take out all the cash. Close the account. Run.

Or ignore it.

Or ring them up. Bash numbers on the phone until you angrily realise you have wasted 2 hours of your life trying to tell some 18 year old cock in a call centre about their mistake.

Whichever makes you most happy and least stressed.

Edited by sarahbell

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iamcynical said:

Yes, except once you KNOW you will feel guilty and dishonest for not saying anything? (Well, at least I would!) And if the error was in the opp direction, ie you saw only half the amount deposited (1x£200 instead of the 2x£400 as currently) we all know we would be on the phone (or into the bank) like a flash?!

I once phoned my UK bank's fraud line (in a panic) from Lagos, as I had noticed a palpal entry which I didn't recognise as mine, while checking my account via online banking. 

It was quite a small amount eg £15 but as we were living in Nigeria, we were told not to have any bank stuff posted out there and to be super careful re getting laptop stolen etc as all the best scams come from Nigeria? So I was already on a hair trigger. (One story was that someone had almost had their house in Scotland sold while they were in Africa. But somebody smelled a rat just in time to stop it happening. Probably rubbish but all works to get you nicely anxious!) 

Had an argument with the bank fraud chap on the line, trying to get him to admit it was fraud. (Cos, clearly he thought it should have been at least £10k before he would take me more seriously and that I had probably just bought something but since forgotten. Possible I admit but really thought I hadn't.)  Kept saying "but I am phoning you from LAGOS", to get him to be more concerned!

Ended up getting quite upset saying it might be a small amount but it could be a test just to see if I notice, before they take out a MUCH bigger chunk? But then came the killer come back from him  ... "but madam, it's NOT FRAUD if someone is putting money INTO your account". What?!! 

Yes, in my absolute panic, hadn't noticed it was a credit amount - not a debit. Had to admit he was right about that but that it's probably STILL FRAUD ... just a very clever one. (Give first, then take everything out second?) Had to end call feeling like a right fool and still very suspicious.

Checked statement back (after ending call) and realised what had happened. Palpal had DEBITEDmy account (in error) for that same amount some time prior  - but I HADN'T SPOTTED it on that occasion.  Then it had been credited it back to me. (When presumably someone had noticed the error.) And that was what I was trying to report as fraud!  O.o

Another bank anecdote - husband took 2x v large Swiss banknote into a Swiss bank (small/village branch) to deposit into his account. (These notes not usually used in shops - more usually the kind to be found stuffed into violin cases?!) He was just doing a transfer from one bank to the other one across the road and thought it would be quicker to do it this way. (And asked for largest notes so he would not have a bag of cash.)

Later that day,  I took a phone call for my husband while he was out,  from the receiving bank. They apologised for asking but they were short of exactly the amount of ONE of those bank notes my husband had deposited with them earlier. Cashier was clearly in a panic about it. Asked if perhaps my husband had only given her 1x the big bank note while he received a receipt for 2x big bank notes and could he ring them back about it?   When husband came home, he was sure he did give her the 2 -  so he phoned them back to assure them of this. But it felt just awful - like we had scammed them Derren Brown style. (Esp as we are clearly 'foreigners in their eyes? And were probably well dodgy for having such large notes - money laundering as well as scamming! The shame!)

I guess one of those 2 notes had probably just fallen onto the floor somehow (or something similar) as it would be quite a coincidence that they were missing EXACTLY that amount? :(

Edited by whocares

I'd go for the sympathy/complaint route if i were you. Lie about how it caused financial hardship once they pinch it back, you had to pay £X on X but didn't have the funds. They may pay compensation. Be more unlikely to do that though if you've withdrawn exactly £400 and legged it.

As night follows day, they will snatch it back, so don't expect anything else.

5 hours ago, NewryH said:

Take all the money out your account and then move to another bank and close that account. Apply for one of the switch deals and get another £100-200 once the switch is complete.

I reckon. 

If they ask say as far as you remember you deposited £400 twice at the same time. It's then up to them to prove otherwise. And if you keep it vague you aren't doing anything wrong. 

5 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I had about £140k appear erroneously in my account when I was a student. It sat there for about 5 weeks then vanished again. Bank never contacted me to explain. Annoying as by the time it disappeared I was just starting to be convinced no-one would notice and it was a nice “little” windfall.

You should have moved it and left the country 😀😀😀😀

6 hours ago, NewryH said:

Hurry up and go back with some more envelopes stuffed with cash.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Fuck em. Carl Fimble has suggested the perfect plan.

I should have added that it may not be massively legal that plan of mine, or moral, though banks are cunts who create money from nothing, so fuck em as you say. 

A bit more info on the current account switching thing :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/

£175 seems to be the most they’re offering just now. That’s with the evil drug cartel supporting HSBC though. £100 with First Direct, who I would bank with if they’d have me. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Adding the last bit about the MSE link

@Carl Fimble

Worrying about the morality of taking a measly £400 from a bank, as if it might be someone else's hard earned cash rather than simply abstract 0s and 1s imagined into existence? O.o 

Had to check what forum I was on for a second there ;)