• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Bath / Bristol Area - Places Worth Visiting?

Lots of annual leave to use and considering a cheap break in England. I've heard Bath is nice and EasyJet does cheap flights from Belfast to Bristol. Short train journey takes you from Bristol to Bath.

I'd like to visit Bristol briefly for other reasons, so would be able to tick that off the list even if I don't stay in Bristol long.

Is there anywhere else in the vicinity of Bristol / Bath (i.e. bus or train ride away) that's worth staying in or visiting?

21 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Lots of annual leave to use and considering a cheap break in England. I've heard Bath is nice and EasyJet does cheap flights from Belfast to Bristol. Short train journey takes you from Bristol to Bath.

I'd like to visit Bristol briefly for other reasons, so would be able to tick that off the list even if I don't stay in Bristol long.

Is there anywhere else in the vicinity of Bristol / Bath (i.e. bus or train ride away) that's worth staying in or visiting?

You’ll never find Portishead. All the signage was stolen by ambient dub fans back in the 90s.

Posted (edited)

The Star does good Bass still and is one of the few pubs that hasn't gone by the wayside as is the previously mentioned Bell, the Green Tree is tiny but chraterfukl as well. The Roman Baths a must visit, never been to the spa and don't intend to. If you want to go into the countryside for a few hours the Cross guns at Avoncliff is a stunning setting with Canal going over the Avon, the food is better than it was but not stunning - it is a very quick train ride out of the city and the scenery is stunning too. Quite a few museums including the astronomy one which is my favourite.

Staying - recently found out about Beckfrod'sTlwer - part of some trust that I'd never heard off before, it has ground floor apartment for nightly rent and you get the keys to go up the tower, pretty unique place to stay - it is  up Lansdown Hill and right by the Park and Ride so bus service access not a problem. Don;t know how much it is but certainly worth a shout if you don't want to stay in Bath itself.

Here it is:

Sleep 4 - 4 nights £427, not bad really, must look at what else they have.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/beckfords-tower-5040

image.png.a5303f76df619868353aeda3344fba9f.png

image.png.48a1e985afb9f1a7d0971142f267c660.png

Edited by onlyme

Cheap in England normally involves camping or sleeping in the car, thanks to the price of accommodation. 

You could rent this bargain and invite us all for a Dosbods weekend, Pulteney Bridge is pretty.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/30051565?location=Bath&check_in=2019-03-23&check_out=2019-03-24&guests=1&adults=1&s=O-BMl3Bm

Wells in Somerset is stunning and a walk up Glastonbury Tor is well worth doing.  Somerset is in many ways more beautiful than the Cotswolds.

52 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Bristol and Bath are not worth visiting. I lived there for half my life, and and have pissed in every corner.

See, full of crusty tramps!

Baths worth it as it so different. Its worth a walk around as it does not feel like a broths town.

More so these days as the concrete shithole t the bottom of town has been replaced.

However .... the number of tourists and old people in the centre  is off the scale.

However a quick walk up the main drag to the cresent takes you away from them.

Bristol, I just cant suss. Ive been a few times but never seem to get my bearings. The centres big but it has a London level of knocking stuff down about it.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

You’ll never find Portishead. All the signage was stolen by ambient dub fans back in the 90s.

The Karma Police are still investigating..

I used to know Bath well. It was a nice town then (80s). Poncey, but nice. You bumped into minor film stars in the shops sometimes (Jane Seymour a few times, and I forget the others)  and it was  possible to park for free quite close to the Royal Crescent and walk into town. There was a good supply of slim (also an 80s phenomenon) nurses at the Royal United Hospital in Weston who liked to party and could still afford to live round there. I doubt if it's as nice and accessible now.

Lansdown Crescent is IMO the best of the glam Georgian housing, not the Royal Crescent or the Circus. Quieter but worth the walk up.

Loads of nice little streets to wander on way up to there and down too. Cafés, antique clothes shops, art house cinemas, you know, poncey stuff, but nice.

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Fly to Southampton.

20 minute fastcat to the Island.

Come during Cowes Week and fill yer boots :)

I have heard there is lovely little hotel near Bath.

More seriously visiting Bath to some extent it depends on when you are coming. If it is your first visit then you really should do the Roman Baths. The Thermae Spa (for a swim) is OK but is too hot in the summer and is always crowded. The sights of the Royal Crescent, The Circus, Putleney Bridge with the prettier part of the river and Bath Abbey are all walkable in the centre. In the summer one of my favourite places is along the canal in Sydney Gardens. There are lots of museums but nothing especially exceptional apart from the Roman Baths themselves. A short bus trip will take you to Prior Park which is worth a couple of hours. It is up a steep hill so a bus is better than walking. Alexandra Park gives a good view over Bath and is free.

As you say Bath and Bristol are a short train journey apart. Bristol would be more of a challenge on foot than walking as there are several interesting areas but some distance apart but buses will serve OK for this too with a bit of planning. 

Wells is worth a visit. It is where I go to relax. Wednesdays especially good with the market.

Happy to answer any questions and buy you a pint if you are up for it.

For Bristol I stay at the IBIS in the centre (not the one by the station) when the rates are good (+5% off if a club member).  Right by the IMAX, etc.  Or the YHA?  But Bristol doesn't have that much (some though) to see really.  Used to be a great place to live in the old (quiet) days though!  I've probably missed loads but you stop noticing after a while!

25 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I have heard there is lovely little hotel near Bath.

More seriously visiting Bath to some extent it depends on when you are coming. If it is your first visit then you really should do the Roman Baths. The Thermae Spa (for a swim) is OK but is too hot in the summer and is always crowded. The sights of the Royal Crescent, The Circus, Putleney Bridge with the prettier part of the river and Bath Abbey are all walkable in the centre. In the summer one of my favourite places is along the canal in Sydney Gardens. There are lots of museums but nothing especially exceptional apart from the Roman Baths themselves. A short bus trip will take you to Prior Park which is worth a couple of hours. It is up a steep hill so a bus is better than walking. Alexandra Park gives a good view over Bath and is free.

As you say Bath and Bristol are a short train journey apart. Bristol would be more of a challenge on foot than walking as there are several interesting areas but some distance apart but buses will serve OK for this too with a bit of planning. 

Wells is worth a visit. It is where I go to relax. Wednesdays especially good with the market.

Happy to answer any questions and buy you a pint if you are up for it.

I heard that that hotel is freezing due to a lack of heating oil. 

No one a fan of Longleat? Wish I'd visited Wells when my brother was living in Saltford. 

2 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I heard that that hotel is freezing due to a lack of heating oil. 

No one a fan of Longleat? Wish I'd visited Wells when my brother was living in Saltford. 

House is a bit meh (Longleat, not the hotel :) ), zoo/safari is good though, actually stayed there a couple of times and does make a good weekend with kids as pool is great and dinghy sailing, wood highwire. Their Xmas period is pretty good for kids too.