• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Free Richard Dawkins Books

He's had a bunch of his books translated into Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and Indonesian and is making them available as free pdfs in an explicit attempt to convince the Islamic world that religion is nonsense.

xD

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/03/13/translators-aim-bring-richard-dawkinss-books-atheism-evolution-muslim-audience/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ba1023cd97ea

45 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

He's had a bunch of his books translated into Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and Indonesian and is making them available as free pdfs in an explicit attempt to convince the Islamic world that religion is nonsense.

xD

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/03/13/translators-aim-bring-richard-dawkinss-books-atheism-evolution-muslim-audience/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ba1023cd97ea

I don’t believe it, but then I’m an afreeist. 

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

xD

There is something amusing about RD giving away his work for free,  but the reporting about it being behind a paywall.

I attended an event locally around ten years ago where Dawkins was the speaker. I’d encountered his theories and read a bit about him before that and was just interested to hear him talk so I paid up.

The venue was packed and there were a few religious demonstrators outside. I’m not religious so it didn’t bother me.

Personally I thought he was an arrogant, rude and obnoxious piece of human shit after the event. In an on stage fit of anger, or that’s what it appeared to be from me, he tore up the leaflets handed out by demonstrators. Don’t know what they said because I declined when offered them. 

Audience question time was appalling. Dawkins was extremely rude, IMO, and quickly dismissed a lot of people who asked questions by saying....nonsense, I won’t bother answering that or putting his hand to his ear and saying in an irritated manner sorry I can’t make out what you’re saying. I wouldn’t want to spend time in his company. 

Rupert Sheldrake would perhaps be more my type xD 

I read both the God Delusion and God is not great (latter being C. Hitchens).

Have to say that I was expecting some great revelations in both of them, but found nothing that I hadn't thought up myself already.. I doubt anyone religious would have come across any new material to suddenly convert them either.

1 minute ago, maynardgravy said:

Have to say that I was expecting some great revelations in both of them, but found nothing that I hadn't thought up myself already.. I doubt anyone religious would have come across any new material to suddenly convert them either.

I'd agree, they just confirmed my thoughts. @Van Lady, yeah I've heard he's a tosser.

23 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I'd agree, they just confirmed my thoughts. @Van Lady, yeah I've heard he's a tosser.

I have read and enjoyed a few of his books, and the YouTube clips of him reading his “love letters” (hate mail) are comedy gold. 

Recently though, his petulant, emotional remoanerism has really put me off him.

7 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Both mediocre books and I wouldn't be surprised, in both cases, if it didn't boil down to both having behaved some way, in the past, that they thought might mean if there is a god they could be headed for the other place come judgment day (insert your own HPC joke)

Dawkins, in particular, seemed to be fighting some claimed battle with religion, on behalf of scientific progress, that religion had already lost getting on for half a century earlier.

8 hours ago, Van Lady said:

I attended an event locally around ten years ago where Dawkins was the speaker. I’d encountered his theories and read a bit about him before that and was just interested to hear him talk so I paid up.

The venue was packed and there were a few religious demonstrators outside. I’m not religious so it didn’t bother me.

Personally I thought he was an arrogant, rude and obnoxious piece of human shit after the event. In an on stage fit of anger, or that’s what it appeared to be from me, he tore up the leaflets handed out by demonstrators. Don’t know what they said because I declined when offered them. 

Audience question time was appalling. Dawkins was extremely rude, IMO, and quickly dismissed a lot of people who asked questions by saying....nonsense, I won’t bother answering that or putting his hand to his ear and saying in an irritated manner sorry I can’t make out what you’re saying. I wouldn’t want to spend time in his company. 

Rupert Sheldrake would perhaps be more my type xD 

I think there's been a peer reviewed consensus, for some time, that he's a dick which presumably he therefore must accept.

I still think he saw all the attention his missus got at a Dr Who sci-fi convention and thought 'I'II have some of that'.