• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Stained Bath

Question

24 answers to this question

On 14/03/2019 at 14:33, Wight Flight said:

Got a bit of staining on my bath - it is old and I think enamel.

Any ideas of the best product to get rid of it?

TIA

Bath.jpg

Fill it with water to cover the staining (minimum 100 mm) and add a whole box of biological washing powder (or bottle of liquid) and leave overnight, rinse thoroughly, should do the trick.

On 22/03/2019 at 21:16, One percent said:

I guess because an aha (especially on economy 7), the temperature will be difficult to control 

You don't control the temperature of an Aga.

You learn to cook with what it gives you.

21 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Got a bit of staining on my bath - it is old and I think enamel.

Any ideas of the best product to get rid of it?

TIA

Bath.jpg

Don’t use anything that has limescale remover, it’ll take the surface off the enamel. (Has someone before you used this kind of product?)

The bit at the bottom looks like limescale. I would gently scrape that off with a sharp object. 

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

T cut 

Was going to suggest scratch recover, gone off T Cut as hard work removing the smear from the chemcials in it, just plain cheap scratch remover seems just as good nowadays. Barman's friend is pretty good too.

On 14/03/2019 at 18:59, onlyme said:

Was going to suggest scratch recover, gone off T Cut as hard work removing the smear from the chemcials in it, just plain cheap scratch remover seems just as good nowadays. Barman's friend is pretty good too.

Thanks. Would give it a try but worried about supporting a virtue signalling company.

It is now called 'bar keepers friend.'

FFS

5 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Fill it with water to cover the staining (minimum 100 mm) and add a whole box of biological washing powder (or bottle of liquid) and leave overnight, rinse thoroughly, should do the trick.

Also very goof for stained cups/mugs - powder, boiling water, leave for an hour.

On 16/03/2019 at 09:09, Wight Flight said:

Thanks. Would give it a try but worried about supporting a virtue signalling company.

FFS

Brasso  will do the same :Old: proper hard stuff is that :D

On 14/03/2019 at 18:59, onlyme said:

I`m sure the first use of the bath will make short work of that

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

I`m sure the first use of the bath will make short work of that

If only! Going to be months or even a year before I have access to one of those! Bloody poxy cramped shower cubible only at the moment too. Oh well it will be worth it in the end.

If it isn't too late, you can't repair some enamel, it has to be replaced. Look into AGA scratch removal, as they're made from enamel. They need to be reconditioned i.e. new coat of paint. You can get touch-up kits though which I've used on my AGA and unless you shine a bright light on it you wouldn't notice. This product on Amazon has okay reviews though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-Ceramic-Enamel-Repair-Counter/dp/B001RQ5TMK

Also for a laugh at someone's expense, Google "Cillit bang AGA" - don't ever use that on enamel.

Barkeepers Friend works on stone like granite IIRC.

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

If it isn't too late, you can't repair some enamel, it has to be replaced. Look into AGA scratch removal, as they're made from enamel. They need to be reconditioned i.e. new coat of paint. You can get touch-up kits though which I've used on my AGA and unless you shine a bright light on it you wouldn't notice. This product on Amazon has okay reviews though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-Ceramic-Enamel-Repair-Counter/dp/B001RQ5TMK

Also for a laugh at someone's expense, Google "Cillit bang AGA" - don't ever use that on enamel.

Barkeepers Friend works on stone like granite IIRC.

Ooh, get you with your aga. o.O

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Style over practicality I think. How long does it take to boil a kettle on?  

If it's been on for 8 hours and cost a fortune in electricity, about 30 seconds.

If it's been on for 4 hours, then about 5 minutes.

If it's been on for anything less than 4 hours, it won't reach boiling point...

Funnily enough I decided to give in to all the gushing from the housewives and last year had it on for the full, recommended 8 hours a day (well, actually 7 hours at night as it's Economy 7). Put it like this, once I got the electricity bill in January it hasn't been on since.... Fucking thing. I'm making do with an induction hob and microwave/grill. Surprising really I haven't needed to use an oven in 4 months now.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

If it's been on for 8 hours and cost a fortune in electricity, about 30 seconds.

If it's been on for 4 hours, then about 5 minutes.

If it's been on for anything less than 4 hours, it won't reach boiling point...

Funnily enough I decided to give in to all the gushing from the housewives and last year had it on for the full, recommended 8 hours a day (well, actually 7 hours at night as it's Economy 7). Put it like this, once I got the electricity bill in January it hasn't been on since.... Fucking thing. I'm making do with an induction hob and microwave/grill. Surprising really I haven't needed to use an oven in 4 months now.

It’s electric?  o.O  I thought they were oil, for those based in the back of beyond. Wood for those even further out in the sticks. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s electric?  o.O  I thought they were oil, for those based in the back of beyond. Wood for those even further out in the sticks. 

They did an Economy 7 one for a few years which is what I have, they're widely claimed to be the cheapest one to run as well... my old neighbour used to spend £800 a month quarter heating his house (oil), don't know what percentage of that was for the AGA but I imagine a lot. They stopped making the electric ones a few years ago.

The wood ones are okay if you can be bothered to chop the wood but they fucking stink the house out.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

They did an Economy 7 one for a few years which is what I have, they're widely claimed to be the cheapest one to run as well... my old neighbour used to spend £800 a month quarter heating his house (oil), don't know what percentage of that was for the AGA but I imagine a lot. They stopped making the electric ones a few years ago.

I guess 800 quid isn’t so bad if it’s a mansion. A three bed semi, not so much. 

Just now, One percent said:

I guess 800 quid isn’t so bad if it’s a mansion. A three bed semi, not so much. 

It was a 3/4 bed Victorian semi. :o

(But he was a very strange man, used to leave all the windows open and grow ivy over them).

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

It was a 3/4 bed Victorian semi. :o

(But he was a very strange man, used to leave all the windows open and grow ivy over them).

I guess because an aha (especially on economy 7), the temperature will be difficult to control 

On 16/03/2019 at 09:09, Wight Flight said:

FFS

I think it's always been called Barkeeper's Friend. Has been for decades, anyway.

Comes in powder or paste form.

Other types or friend are available from other retailers.