• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

How old fashioned are you?

This was an interesting one on the radio; which I've been prompted to recall by @longtomsilver's watch thread.

They started with four things but I think we can expand it.  They were:

1. Wearing a watch
  2. Carrying a handkerchief
  3. Having annitmacassars, or similar, on furniture
  4. Having blankets or eiderdown rather than a duvet

I wear a watch and carry a hankie, tbh I thought most people did, so that's two out of four.

What other previously common possessions or practices has begun to acquire rarity value that I've missed?

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

This was an interesting one on the radio; which I've been prompted to recall by @longtomsilver's watch thread.

1. Wearing a watch

I wear a watch and carry a hankie, tbh I thought most people did, so that's two out of four.

What other previously common possessions or practices has begun to acquire rarity value that I've missed?

1. Wearing a watch - I have a watch but rarely wear it, years ago I felt naked without a watch, it was essential. More due to change in lifestyle perhaps.
  2. Carrying a handkerchief - Have never owned one
  3. Having annitmacassars, or similar, on furniture - not even sure what they are, but assume its some sort of cover - never
  4. Having blankets or eiderdown rather than a duvet - only remember blankets from when we stayed at my Nans council house
  5. VHS tapes

4 minutes ago, null; said:

1. Wearing a watch - I have a watch but rarely wear it, years ago I felt naked without a watch, it was essential. More due to change in lifestyle perhaps.
  2. Carrying a handkerchief - Have never owned one
  3. Having annitmacassars, or similar, on furniture - not even sure what they are, but assume its some sort of cover - never
  4. Having blankets or eiderdown rather than a duvet - only remember blankets from when we stayed at my Nans council house
  5. VHS tapes

I have VHS tapes and VHS video stored in the sideboard in the event of my ever having a TV again but it's looking increasingly unlikely.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have VHS tapes and VHS video stored in the sideboard in the event of my ever having a TV again but it's looking increasingly unlikely.

A few years back I ended up having just two VHS tapes left. One was from when I did a skydive and the other was my wedding.

I transferred one of them to DVD for safe keeping.

A while back I was telling my kids bout VHS and Betamax tapes, they looked at me in exactly the same way I looked at my parents when they told me about 45s

Edited by null;

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Do you not have a TV at all?

If it wasn't for the family I don't imagine I would bother with a TV. How I would love to stop paying the TV tax to the So-Called BBC.

I would much prefer an evening on DOSBODS, it's almost like the olden days when people went down the pub.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

1. Wearing a watch

Crossing threads, I have a lovely 50s ladies gold, very delicate Rolex. I never wear it but did on a daily basis. 

Tissues. Much more hygienic 

antimacassars (how many people know what these are?) the first thing I chucked out of my parent’s house when they died

blankets and eiderdowns must be the most uncomfortable things to sleep under b

1 minute ago, null; said:

A few years back I ended up having just two VHS tapes left. One was from when I did a skydive and the other was my wedding.

I transferred one of them to DVD for safe keeping.

I while back I was telling my kids bout VHS and Betamax tapes, they looked at me in exactly the same way I looked at my parents when they told me about 45s

I don't have a gramophone these days but surely 45s were common well into the 90s?

I guess if you're under 30 then they'd be your parents' artefacts.

I do remember that the first time I knew anybody with a CD player / CDs was 1985 and records were still going strong a good ten years' later.  My first CD would have been late 1988.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I don't have a gramophone these days but surely 45s were common well into the 90s?

I do remember that the first time I knew anybody with a CD player / CDs was 1985 and records were still going strong a good ten years' later.  My first CD would have been late 1988.

I remember the first CD player I ever saw. The bloke was called "Flash Graham", and he bought a shiney sports car with his wife's life insurance. As she had previouslyh died.

3 minutes ago, null; said:

Do you not have a TV at all?

If it wasn't for the family I don't imagine I would bother with a TV. How I would love to stop paying the TV tax to the So-Called BBC.

I would much prefer an evening on DOSBODS, it's almost like the olden days when people went down the pub.

Nope.  My last one broke maybe ten years ago.  By the time I get another one I doubt I'll be able to connect my video recorder to it but I can't bring myself to throw out a perfectly decent product that I bought in 1993.

DOSBODS has been referred to as a virtual pub previously.  I did try to get a summer meet to happen in 2018 but circumstances conspired against us (the intended pub had a big fire).

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nope.  My last one broke maybe ten years ago.  By the time I get another one I doubt I'll be able to connect my video recorder to it but I can't bring myself to throw out a perfectly decent product that I bought in 1993.

DOSBODS has been referred to as a virtual pub previously.  I did try to get a summer meet to happen in 2018 but circumstances conspired against us (the intended pub had a big fire).

Give it another go. It would be fun 👍

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I remember the first CD player I ever saw. The bloke was called "Flash Graham", and he bought a shiney sports car with his wife's life insurance. As she had previouslyh died.

My mate was called Tim.

Not only was he the first I knew to have a CD player he was also the first to have a microwave.

It is hard to explain quite how unbelievably modern these felt in 1986.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm just a young whipersnapper, what are these 'CD players' that you talk of?

When the older folk talk of vinyl, I assume they are talking about wrapping their cars?

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yeah, but did he have three sheds? Huh?

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nah, I seem to be a bit of a Jonah on these things (similar has happened in RL) so it's best if I let someone else do it.

Maybe you can do a Whitby meet and @MrPin can lurk in the graveyards in his WIthnail coat.

We could do it goth week so that pinny felt at home in the graveyard. xD