• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

The Changed

1 minute ago, Dipsy said:

Indoctrination by schools or I would assume the schools will fine the parents as they do for all other forms of unauthorised absence

It was totally my thinking, but it's sort of been eclipsed by a massacre.

16-Year Old Swedish Activist Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

https://caravandaily.com/16-year-old-swedish-activist-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/

COPENHAGEN (IANS) — Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old Swedish activist who is a prominent voice in the fight against climate change, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year.

///

After her speeches at the UN climate change conference in Poland and at the Davos forum, she became an example for many young people all over the world, who since have promoted similar initiatives.

Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai in 2014 became the youngest winner of the prize, at the age of 17.

56 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I notice a lot of children are having time off school to wave placards about "the climate". Have we run out of adults? There's something creepy about this, like the Nazis.

What I don't like is that it is a child's view of adult 'bad behaviour'.

So, they'll campaign about single-use plastics, gas guzzling cars, etc.

They won't complain about weekend shopping in Primark and family holidays in the sun.

I'd say to the campaigning children -- what are you doing?  And not accept 'I'm not doing stuff that adults do' but insist on 'I have changed my behaviours so that I'm not doing stuff that teenagers do'.

[When my kids were in primary school they came back with posters one day for each of our light switches.  'TURN IT OFF!!!'.  Now, barely five years later, I have to go round the house after they leave for school turning all their lights off.]

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

16-Year Old Swedish Activist Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

https://caravandaily.com/16-year-old-swedish-activist-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/

COPENHAGEN (IANS) — Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old Swedish activist who is a prominent voice in the fight against climate change, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year.

///

After her speeches at the UN climate change conference in Poland and at the Davos forum, she became an example for many young people all over the world, who since have promoted similar initiatives.

Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai in 2014 became the youngest winner of the prize, at the age of 17.

Malala, shot in the head by the Taliban for having the temerity to want to go to school, receives peace prize for her work to promote the rights of children to receive an education verses kids who just want the day off school to wave some banners.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

They won't complain about weekend shopping in Primark and family holidays in the sun.

I'd say to the campaigning children -- what are you doing?  And not accept 'I'm not doing stuff that adults do' but insist on 'I have changed my behaviours so that I'm not doing stuff that teenagers do'.

[When my kids were in primary school they came back with posters one day for each of our light switches.  'TURN IT OFF!!!'.  Now, barely five years later, I have to go round the house after they leave for school turning all their lights off.]

Exactly.  This is just another fad.

These kids will individually have been responsible for a mountain of waste plastic over the last few years but instead of giving up their fizzy pop they're having the afternoon off to dick about waving stuff.

People in general are total idiots when it comes to these things.  There was a story in the local news about a school not wearing red noses today because they're made of plastic.  One half-witted couple called to say that they agreed and had bought wrist bands instead.

A later caller pointed out they are also plastic.

It's always the fuckwits that shout the loudest.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teacher, leave them kids alone

they don't and never did, even when I was young

I do a lot of liftshares ferrying kids around to sporting training/fixtures. One was planning on going to this march and was trying to persuade the others. All four of the others pointed out the pointlessness of the march, and her own wastefulness. One even quoted the Jordan Peterson bit (unattributed) about tidy your room first before changing the world in the context of her personal wastefulness.

It was quite pleasing to hear.

46 minutes ago, dgul said:

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

While I appreciate their enthusiasm, I just wonder how far they are willing to take it. 

If you really cared about the climate enough to protest about it, you'd be binning your smartphones and cancelling your Instagram-friendly trips abroad.

I think you'd have a somewhat thinner crowd with those conditions.

These points.

You can point this out but can't expect the sophistication of an reasoned, thought through discussion. Heck you can't even get that with most adults.

Just point it out, allow some truth bombs to settle.  You'll probably get a load of arrogant 'Well if we don't start somewhere then what can we do / If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem etc etc' ... yeah that's all fine and well but it's a bit of a poor argument and the sooner you see how you're being played the better.

I'd rather instil a sense of thoughtful discourse, the socratic method of investigation and argument instead of a load of knee jerk responses.

30 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It just reminds me a bit of the anti-capitalist bellends trashing a McDonalds while filming it on their iPhones after arriving there on an airliner.

'DOWN WITH THE CAPITALIST PIGS!!'

Hang on while I upload me throwing this table through a window to Facebook.

Wankers.

This alway amused me the level of cognitive reeeeeeeek dissonance.

.... I'm fighting the patriarcial, capitalist system

... whilst just sipping on my latte in starbucks, filming it all on my crapple slave-produced iphone and streaming it to faceache/instawhore those bastions of capitalism ...

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I notice a lot of children are having time off school to wave placards about "the climate". Have we run out of adults? There's something creepy about this, like the Nazis.

Wow, they teach Virtue Signalling early these days!

Seriously, though, are they showing the independent thinking needed to challenge authority... or are they being manipulated into protesting by authority?

3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Wow, they teach Virtue Signalling early these days!

Seriously, though, are they showing the independent thinking needed to challenge authority... or are they being manipulated into protesting by authority?

Oviously the latter.

I have been appalled by the widespread waste, pollution, littering and over-consumption for decades.  Any intelligent and observant person would be equally appalled.

However 90% of people are clearly not this because it took their watching that nice Mr Attenborough's Blue Planet series to open their eyes to the environmental catastrophe that they themselves were creating.

And the response to this sudden realisation of what they have been doing?  Go up and chant at the council because they want somebody else to do something as they won't do it themselves.

Meanwhile Lego sales continue to soar.  36 billion bricks sold annually.

And for every family who cherishes their lego and keeps it another family throws it in the bin when they have a clear out.

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teacher, leave them kids alone

Really?

Well, for a start, your grammar is appalling. Write out 100 times:

We don't need any education
We don't need any thought control
Nor dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teacher, leave those kids alone

No wonder the country is going to the dogs.

Just now, Happy Renting said:

Really?

Well, for a start, your grammar is appalling. Write out 100 times:

We don't need any education
We don't need any thought control
Nor dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teacher, leave those kids alone

No wonder the country is going to the dogs.

Woof!

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oviously the latter.

I have been appalled by the widespread waste, pollution, littering and over-consumption for decades.  Any intelligent and observant person would be equally appalled.

However 90% of people are clearly not this because it took their watching that nice Mr Attenborough's Blue Planet series to open their eyes to the environmental catastrophe that they themselves were creating.

And the response to this sudden realisation of what they have been doing?  Go up and chant at the council because they want somebody else to do something as they won't do it themselves.

Meanwhile Lego sales continue to soar.  36 billion bricks sold annually.

And for every family who cherishes their lego and keeps it another family throws it in the bin when they have a clear out.

I await a documentary where they find a Lego brick in a dolphin's stomach.

Children are then going to have to make hard decisions.

I bet the Lego wins.

"It wasn't my Lego".

The demo has just finished in Leeds City Centre.   It brought the buses to a standstill for 20 minutes.   The protesters are hanging out in the Trinity shopping centre ogling the latest clothes in Hilfinger etc.   Doesn’t look like anyone is heading back to school. Nice long weekend.

5 hours ago, JFK said:

This alway amused me the level of cognitive reeeeeeeek dissonance.

.... I'm fighting the patriarcial, capitalist system

... whilst just sipping on my latte in starbucks, filming it all on my crapple slave-produced iphone and streaming it to faceache/instawhore those bastions of capitalism ...

I always think of this as protecting the delivery of Lily Allen's latest iPhone

Edited by Panther

9 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

While I appreciate their enthusiasm, I just wonder how far they are willing to take it. 

If you really cared about the climate enough to protest about it, you'd be binning your smartphones and cancelling your Instagram-friendly trips abroad.

I think you'd have a somewhat thinner crowd with those conditions.

Actually you'd be turning yourself into compost for the rain forest