• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Council tax up by a third in six years

This is verging upon theft; it's 33% higher (total charge, including town and police precepts). I also note that this year the council has dropped the figure that tells you the overall increase in the annual charge for the year; it's as if they don't wish you to know.

If you're on a fixed income (that FIRE guy who retired at 40 with £250k springs to mind) then a few more years of this (and there is no indication of any slowdown) will mean people are going to start having real problems and van life is really going to take off; maybe the communes of the sixties will return but through economic necessity rather than idealism.

@Wight Flight should no longer be the top payer but @stokiescum is probably still the cheapest.

Mine is £122 a month with the only services from which I regularly benefit being having the roads patched (tbf they're really not bad at all this year), rubbish taken away, and having a tip for bigger stuff.

I don't resent paying for things I don't use if I think they're valuable, like schools, libraries, the police, but £122 a month is a lot for someone on minimum wage who is already having to pay loads in rent.

Decrease policing, don't decrease council tax, and then increase council tax to replace some of the police funds they had before.

Highest ever tax takes for decades (not just council tax)...... All under a Tory government. 

23 minutes ago, Errol said:

£122 a month is cheap. £250 a month is usual.

Oh yes, I appreciated how cheap when @Wight Flight posted his previous monthly robbery.

I don't see how a low waged person can afford to pay £600 a month in rent for a flat (or whatever it is in each part of the country) and then pay council tax on top of that.

This should properly fall upon the property owner; and whilst that may put rents up a bit as they always charge what the market can stand they won't go up by the full council tax amount as they won't get a taker.

9 minutes ago, ste said:

Decrease policing, don't decrease council tax, and then increase council tax to replace some of the police funds they had before.

Highest ever tax takes for decades (not just council tax)...... All under a Tory government. 

because of child benefit claw back, I'd be paying 90% tax on some of my earnings*, I thought we only had those tax rates under labour in the 70s.

* I'm paying extra in to pensions to avoid this tax

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oh yes, I appreciated how cheap when @Wight Flight posted his previous monthly robbery.

I don't see how a low waged person can afford to pay £600 a month in rent for a flat (or whatever it is in each part of the country) and then pay council tax on top of that.

This should properly fall upon the property owner; and whilst that may put rents up a bit as they always charge what the market can stand they won't go up by the full council tax amount as they won't get a taker.

xD In woking, for a crappy, older 2 bed flat (not the newer blocks), you’d be lucky to get one for under £1,000 a month with Council Tax at around £190/month (over ten months). 

If you think the cost of council tax keeps going up faster than wages, just be glad you don’t commute into London by train!

When everyone realises they are better off on benefits the gigs up.

I received my bill last week and the biggest percentage increase is for the West Yorkshire police. Presumably monitoring twatter and faceache for non-crimes is expensive.

15CD906F-740D-499F-AB35-032A9BCC555C.thumb.jpeg.eb5596e6c9ac1221c99c543a5ba8e677.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I received my bill last week and the biggest percentage increase is for the West Yorkshire police. Presumably monitoring twatter and faceache for non-crimes is expensive.

15CD906F-740D-499F-AB35-032A9BCC555C.thumb.jpeg.eb5596e6c9ac1221c99c543a5ba8e677.jpeg

Ignoring the grooming and rape of an entire generation of English girls costs more y'know.

Posted (edited)

Policing increases are the natural result of massive immigration.

Diversity + proximity = war. Or in the early stages, increasing crime, increasing antisocial behaviour, increasing unrest etc etc.

Edited by Errol

Posted (edited)

We seem to be getting the simultaneous hit today. I'm all in favour, tax the idle asset rich, income poor dosbodders.

It will double under Comrade Corbyn,  so enjoy your 2k to 3k bills while you can. Man should be feckless and spend his money and rely on State welfare to be virtuous. ( the 12.5% is for police btw...makes sense in the safest district in the world, Derbys Dales)

20190316_144239.thumb.jpg.a7ec10a033cdbe038d4c642a403a7cec.jpg 

Edited by crashmonitor

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is verging upon theft; it's 33% higher (total charge, including town and police precepts). I also note that this year the council has dropped the figure that tells you the overall increase in the annual charge for the year; it's as if they don't wish you to know.

If you're on a fixed income (that FIRE guy who retired at 40 with £250k springs to mind) then a few more years of this (and there is no indication of any slowdown) will mean people are going to start having real problems and van life is really going to take off; maybe the communes of the sixties will return but through economic necessity rather than idealism.

@Wight Flight should no longer be the top payer but @stokiescum is probably still the cheapest.

Mine is £122 a month with the only services from which I regularly benefit being having the roads patched (tbf they're really not bad at all this year), rubbish taken away, and having a tip for bigger stuff.

I don't resent paying for things I don't use if I think they're valuable, like schools, libraries, the police, but £122 a month is a lot for someone on minimum wage who is already having to pay loads in rent.

In theory, living in a shit-hole should make my council tax among the lowest in the country.

However, the area I live in has one of the highest ratios of Band A properties compared to all others in the vicinity that exists in the UK.

So because there are less rich households around here for them to fleece, they have to take more from those at the bottom.

Hence my bill of £1347.79 - or 1 payment of £132.79 and then 9 payments of £135 per month.

I live in a 2 bedroomed terraced house in the parliamentary constituency of Easington in County Durham, and yet I pay more than you Frank...!

That in itself is an absolute fucking disgrace...

Scan3.thumb.jpg.68b0e43f9626960f46750231fe8e15f0.jpg

XYY

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

In theory, living in a shit-hole should make my council tax among the lowest in the country.

However, the area I live in has one of the highest ratios of Band A properties compared to all others in the vicinity that exists in the UK.

So because there are less rich households around here for them to fleece, they have to take more from those at the bottom.

Hence my bill of £1347.79 - or 1 payment of £132.79 and then 9 payments of £135 per month.

I live in a 2 bedroomed terraced house in the parliamentary constituency of Easington in County Durham, and yet I pay more than you Frank...!

That in itself is an absolute fucking disgrace...

XYY

It is a horrendously unfair property tax.

I can only assume that the failure to reform it is down to the influence of various wealthy foreign owners of London property who are generous with their money when it comes to politicians.

As soon as any reform is mentioned out come the squeals of "mansion tax".

Corrupt scummers all.

£2216 to live in the shitty essex town of harlow, 

Funny thing is looking back at the costs when I first moved here a Band E house which is what mine is rated as was £1204.72 in 2001 which is not too bad 

They cannot keep on squeezing the productive like this anymore 

When I look at houses, I always have retirement in mind even though I'm only 35. But by that I mean I look at it and I think 'would someone with my expected retirement income at 60 be able to afford to maintain and pay the council tax on this house', and if I couldn't then it's not something I would buy.

I'd love a spacious house, but the massive premium put on having any real space in terms of the sale price, and the huge increase in council tax just doesn't make it a realistic long term proposition.

There is a street in belfast city centre that has a modern apartment block on one side of the street, and a council estate on the other. The folk in the flats pay tons more council tax than the folk in the council houses across the road do, even though the council houses are bigger than the flats. It's yet another way to squeeze the productive, who are frankly being squeezed to within an inch of their life.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

Funny thing is looking back at the costs when I first moved here a Band E house which is what mine is rated as was £1204.72 in 2001 which is not too bad 

Mine is (proportionately) the same.

For the last 10 years it has increased by at least 5% every year - and more often than not, closer to 7%.

Which of course is the TRUE rate of inflation...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

8 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

Well the Bank of England agrees with you.

1498501253_Screenshot-2019-3-16Inflationcalculator.jpg.87d16c7fd76581af4d222aa9edc4af9f.jpg

Also of interest is that in NI rates (our version of council tax) is based on the 'rateable value' of the house, a values which has not been reassessed in over a decade afaik. The selling prices for houses are currently significantly above rateable value, especially in belfast.

it will be interesting to see if at some point, the councils do a big cash grab by whacking up the rateable values to reflect actual property selling prices. Be interesting to see how enthusiastic everyone is about their hpi gains then.