• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Money bags.

Recommended Posts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6816985/Dishonest-widower-63-claimed-25-000-benefits-four-years-despite-having-48-000.html

A widower who claimed more than £25,000 in benefits after banking a suitcase of cash left by his late wife has avoided jail.

Kenneth Eastwood, 63 - described as 'utterly dishonest' by Teesside's top judge - was overpaid £25,486 in benefits over four years.

The judge did not believe Eastwood's account that his wife, who had suffered a large stroke, saved up a suitcase of money without his knowledge.

 

what an idiot. Why not just leave it in the bloody case or slowly build up a cache of gold coins  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6816985/Dishonest-widower-63-claimed-25-000-benefits-four-years-despite-having-48-000.html

A widower who claimed more than £25,000 in benefits after banking a suitcase of cash left by his late wife has avoided jail.

Kenneth Eastwood, 63 - described as 'utterly dishonest' by Teesside's top judge - was overpaid £25,486 in benefits over four years.

The judge did not believe Eastwood's account that his wife, who had suffered a large stroke, saved up a suitcase of money without his knowledge.

 

what an idiot. Why not just leave it in the bloody case or slowly build up a cache of gold coins  

In no way condoning what he did, but that was my thoughts exactly - paying it into the bank was a dumb thing to do.

It's often the case that criminals are not the sharpest tool in the box and their stupidity is their downfall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, null; said:

In no way condoning what he did, but that was my thoughts exactly - paying it into the bank was a dumb thing to do.

It's often the case that criminals are not the sharpest tool in the box and their stupidity is their downfall.

Must have been pretty switched on to have accumulated that kind of money whilst being a carer for 20 years.

Reading between the lines, his wife was disabled and so, I’m guessing here, the bennies weren’t not means tested. Then she died and he finds himself on means tested bennies as a single person, no employment history due to caring and then with a suitcase full of money, which he probably did know nothing about.  

Then, he panicked and went to pay it in without thinking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Must have been pretty switched on to have accumulated that kind of money whilst being a carer for 20 years.

Reading between the lines, his wife was disabled and so, I’m guessing here, the bennies weren’t not means tested. Then she died and he finds himself on means tested bennies as a single person, no employment history due to caring and then with a suitcase full of money, which he probably did know nothing about.  

Then, he panicked and went to pay it in without thinking.  

Yeh, I have some empathy for this bloke. His life story was probably like you posted.

If he knew the system he would never ever have deposited the cash in a bank.

He claimed £25k over four years in jsa and housing benefits. Hardly a fortune! Also he cared for his stroke sufferer wife for 20?  years. Obviously disabled benefits were being paid in this case. How much would his care giving cost taxpayers if she had no one to look after her? Much more IMO.

I think this man has just been unfortunate in life and has been decent looking after his spouse then plunged into turmoil when she died. If a person is disabled, mentally challenged and “no spark” it must be difficult to care for them. If they’d been living the high life on benefits I doubt any cash would have been saved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6816985/Dishonest-widower-63-claimed-25-000-benefits-four-years-despite-having-48-000.html

A widower who claimed more than £25,000 in benefits after banking a suitcase of cash left by his late wife has avoided jail.

Kenneth Eastwood, 63 - described as 'utterly dishonest' by Teesside's top judge - was overpaid £25,486 in benefits over four years.

The judge did not believe Eastwood's account that his wife, who had suffered a large stroke, saved up a suitcase of money without his knowledge.

 

what an idiot. Why not just leave it in the bloody case or slowly build up a cache of gold coins  

Even if it was cash or gold it’s still fraud 

Gotta declare all capital 

As an aside this is why pension credit should be a loan against the persons estate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Malthus said:

Even if it was cash or gold it’s still fraud 

Gotta declare all capital 

As an aside this is why pension credit should be a loan against the persons estate

Problem is, there are so many people gaming the system. The child tax credit scam seems to me to be way more lucrative. As @Van Lady said above, it was 25k over four years. Feel sorry for the bloke tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Yeh, I have some empathy for this bloke. His life story was probably like you posted.

If he knew the system he would never ever have deposited the cash in a bank.

He claimed £25k over four years in jsa and housing benefits. Hardly a fortune! Also he cared for his stroke sufferer wife for 20?  years. Obviously disabled benefits were being paid in this case. How much would his care giving cost taxpayers if she had no one to look after her? Much more IMO.

I think this man has just been unfortunate in life and has been decent looking after his spouse then plunged into turmoil when she died. If a person is disabled, mentally challenged and “no spark” it must be difficult to care for them. If they’d been living the high life on benefits I doubt any cash would have been saved!

I think he falls into the category of fraud by inaction - i.e. he didn't intentionally take an action to defraud but his failure to take action, i.e.notify of the cash meant that it become fraud. In my opinion he would have known that he should have declared the money.

The ones who really scam it know what they are doing and don't often get caught.

What he did was wrong and his situation was taken into account by the judge. I don't see someone like that as a danger to society.

To be able to save that money from beneifts in the first place they must have been very frugal. Yet another case of being punished for saving.

The really sad thing is the money should have been spent making the wife's life better while she was still alive.

Edited by null;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, null; said:

I think he falls into the category of fraud by inaction - i.e. he didn't intentionally take an action to defraud but his failure to take action, i.e.notify of the cash meant that it become fraud. In my opinion he would have known that he should have declared the money.

The ones who really scam it know what they are doing and don't often get caught.

What he did was wrong and his situation was taken into account by the judge. I don;t see someone like that as a danger to society.

To be able to save that money from beneifts in the first place they must have been very frugal. Yet another case of being punished for saving.

The really sad thing is the money should have been spent making the wife's life better while she was still alive.

Ignorance of the rules is no defence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Even if it was cash or gold it’s still fraud 

Gotta declare all capital 

As an aside this is why pension credit should be a loan against the persons estate

I'm afraid my morals regarding this sort of thing have gone out the window after the Brexit/democracy betrayal.

It's a free for all now as far as I am concerned. Fuck the government, they are the enemy.

I wouldn't inform on anyone defrauding the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the gardener said:

I'm afraid my morals regarding this sort of thing have gone out the window after the Brexit/democracy betrayal.

It's a free for all now as far as I am concerned. Fuck the government, they are the enemy.

I wouldn't inform on anyone defrauding the state.

It’s not the governments money 

It’s our money or made up money from the magic money tree 

Either way it needs to stop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Maybe he genuinely didn’t know “the rules”?

When making a claim he signed a declaration which clearly set out the claimants responsibility 

In any other country with the level of fraud the gaols would be full of such chancers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Malthus said:

It’s not the governments money 

It’s our money or made up money from the magic money tree 

Either way it needs to stop 

Don't care.

If this chap doesn't have it then the government is just going to give it to their cronies and the EU.

I really can't enumerate just how high up the scale my fuck-them-o-meter is.

Rip it all down and let it burn. Let the chips fall where they may.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Don't care.

If this chap doesn't have it then the government is just going to give it to their cronies and the EU.

I really can't enumerate just how high up the scale my fuck-them-o-meter is.

Rip it all down and let it burn. Let the chips fall where they may.

Hallelujah brother. I hear you. (Using Christian language now before it’s outlawed  o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Don't care.

If this chap doesn't have it then the government is just going to give it to their cronies and the EU.

I really can't enumerate just how high up the scale my fuck-them-o-meter is.

Rip it all down and let it burn. Let the chips fall where they may.

If they had played it differently the outcome for him and his wife would have been so much better, but it sounds like he was not the smartest.

Lets go back in time and give his wife a friendly hint - "Spend the money now, get that new wheel chair, have a day out, get an extra carer, make the most of your life".

Her life would have been better for it. And following her passing, the Husband would not have broken the law, been taken to Court, convicted and had to repay the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Eastwood's wife had suffered a 'huge stroke' shortly after their marriage, could not look after herself and he was her sole carer for the best part of 20 years. "

Good for him. Anyone who does this deserves a break. I can't get upset about his low level fraud.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

Yeh, I have some empathy for this bloke. His life story was probably like you posted.

If he knew the system he would never ever have deposited the cash in a bank.

He claimed £25k over four years in jsa and housing benefits. Hardly a fortune! Also he cared for his stroke sufferer wife for 20?  years. Obviously disabled benefits were being paid in this case. How much would his care giving cost taxpayers if she had no one to look after her? Much more IMO.

I think this man has just been unfortunate in life and has been decent looking after his spouse then plunged into turmoil when she died. If a person is disabled, mentally challenged and “no spark” it must be difficult to care for them. If they’d been living the high life on benefits I doubt any cash would have been saved!

If he had consumed the welfare as per what he was supposed to do eg. lotto, booze, shopping for tat he would have committed no  crime and could have continued receiving welfare. Instead he had a decidedly middle class penchant for deferring gratuitous pleasure and saving it instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The hypocrisy and temerity of the dishonest establishment trying to belittle and shame a dishonest citizen.

Normally I would have very little sympathy for this guy but after Parliaments disgraceful behaviour I no longer care,good luck to him.

 

Edited by M S E Refugee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

If he had consumed the welfare as per what he was supposed to do eg. lotto, booze, shopping for tat he would have committed no  crime and could have continued receiving welfare. Instead he had a decidedly middle class penchant for deferring gratuitous pleasure and saving it instead. 

I know someone on disability etc etc who is about to come into 50-100k I surgested refuseing the cash and letting her working daughters have it instead they could do with it newly mortgaged etc.  All I got was I’m not going to give it away it’s mine I’ve got another bank account I can hide it in .   Why should I be forced to live off it😱 just greed and stupidity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stokiescum said:

Yes she did hence the cash I don’t think they could get all the free benies with assets that high 

My understanding of the benefit system is that disabled benefits aren’t means tested so the problem for this bloke only occurred after the death of his wife when the benefits stopped. He cared for her for 20 years. Then he was only eligible to claim jsa....around 70 quid per week plus housing benefits.

Perhaps she was worried about what happened to him after her death after him caring for her for years so was stashing cash? IMO if she was really knowledgeable she would have drummed it onto him that on no account should he deposit the saved cash anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

My understanding of the benefit system is that disabled benefits aren’t means tested so the problem for this bloke only occurred after the death of his wife when the benefits stopped. He cared for her for 20 years. Then he was only eligible to claim jsa....around 70 quid per week plus housing benefits.

Perhaps she was worried about what happened to him after her death after him caring for her for years so was stashing cash? IMO if she was really knowledgeable she would have drummed it onto him that on no account should he deposit the saved cash anywhere. 

We don’t know what else they were claiming I doubt I could get carers allowance for say my x if I had 25k cash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

We don’t know what else they were claiming I doubt I could get carers allowance for say my x if I had 25k cash

David Cameron, the ex prime minister, claimed disability benefits for his now deceased son. Just sayin O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

David Cameron, the ex prime minister, claimed disability benefits for his now deceased son. Just sayin O.o

Betsy, the wife of IDS, gets an annual benefits payment of about £150,000 because she has a spare 10,000 acres. Other people have their benefits cut because they have a spare 80sq ft bedroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.