• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
OurDayWillCome

Open the vaults

13 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Haven’t seen, ‘The Equalizer’ since the Eighties. Currently on Forces TV - it’s stood the test of time well. And that intro...

Can't beat a good TV program intro. Pretty much a lost art. 

TBH whenever I’ve caught stuff like The Professionals or The Sweeney again now I’ve found them virtually unwatchable and only really of historical interest in what the country was like at the time.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SNACR said:

TBH whenever I’ve caught stuff like The Professionals or The Sweeney again now I’ve found them virtually unwatchable and only really of historical interest in what the country was like at the time.

That’s what I usually feel, but the Equalizer seems to transcend the years that have past between.

Edit: The intro also has lots of menacing white men - so today.

Edited by OurDayWillCome

12 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Never seen it but does it surpass the wicker man which is a cult horror film 

It’s worth delving into - on Forces TV as I type. Not something that can be held against the wicker man as it’s a TV series.

17 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Never seen it but does it surpass the wicker man which is a cult horror film 

Britt smearing herself all over the wall while singing sexy song fwooaaar. 

It was a body double apparently though. 

Posted (edited)

Edward Woodward made his name playing Callan who was basically a state assassin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callan_(TV_series)

Quite a daring series as it implied the British government was happy to use torture and  extrajudicial murder. The original classic episode a Magnum For Schneider shows Callan befriending his target an arms dealer called Schneider through a shared interest in toy soldiers and then killing him more or less in cold blood. It is about as morally ambiguous a story line as you can get. Woodward is very good in the lead as the ethically compromised killer. The tone of the show was very downbeat and a million miles from likes of the the Avengers. The only show of the era with a similar feel was Public Eye with Alfred Burke playing Frank Marker. The production values may not be what modern audiences expect but the writing had depth that modern shows lack. Most of the programs are available in full on YouTube.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callan_(TV_series)

Incidentally the US TV crews who made the Equalizer really liked Woodward because he was  a class act and a model pro with no ego unlike a lot of the Americans actors they had to handle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Woodward

Edited by Virgil Caine

10 hours ago, SNACR said:

I managed to d/l the series 'Big Breadwinner Hog' (1969). Wish I hadn't. Bloody awful and spoiled my memory of the show.

'The Prisoner' has stood the test of time imo.