• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Death of a Z lister

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6818873/Love-Islands-tragic-Mike-Thalassitis-spiralling-debts-dead-woodland.html

• The 26-year-old was found dead in woods yesterday and his manager confirmed his death
  • His cause of death is not yet known and police are yet to release any information regarding sudden passing
  • The sad news comes just months after one of his best friends, Danny Cutts, passed away in December
  • Thalassitis had previously dating Only Way is Essex star Megan McKenna after being on Celebs Go Dating
  • Reports suggest that he had been grieving the death of his grandmother who recently passed away 
  • Former Love Island star Dom Lever has hit out at show producers for a 'lack of support' after the show
  • Sheridan Smith also tweeted her condolences and said that his death should be a 'wake up call' 
  • It has also emerged that Thalassitis was struggling with debt after overextending with a party lifestyle  
  • Comes after inquest into Love Island contestant Sophie Gradon was 'cancelled over new information' 

Im not fussed either way if people want to arse around on scripted reality TV.

Im watching less n less telly. I dont think Ive intentionally watched scripted reality.

Anyhow, I guess we can assume he hung himslef -'found in woods' is the normal term used.

Bit sad, not just the suicide, the whole lot really.

26, not proper job, doing this wank TV photo -stories stuff for pennies - assumign they aer paid. And 'overextended party lifestyle;e'

Second one off that show.

The contestants seem to think that the producers care about them and should be providing them with long term mental health care.

"I got flowers from the producers when my daughter died. No f**king phone call. No support, or help. Enough is enough."

She continued: "Nothing when my mum died. Nothing when Sophie died. Change needs to happen."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8655253/love-island-stars-blast-show-mike-thalassitis-dies/

They are paid £200 per week whilst on the show.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a10339776/love-island-contestants-how-much-money/

Toxic reality shows; don't watch them and certainly don't consider appearing in them unless you have a definite post show plan as did Katie Hopkins.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The contestants seem to think that the producers care about them and should be providing them with long term mental health care.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8655253/love-island-stars-blast-show-mike-thalassitis-dies/

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a10339776/love-island-contestants-how-much-money/

Toxic reality shows; don't watch them and certainly don't consider appearing in them unless you have a definite post show plan as did Katie Hopkins.

From toxic reality to a toxic business. The figures rarely stack up for restaurants, too many overheads, too labour intensive. Look how Jamie's done. Make money as a celeb, lose it on a restaurant.

Just now, crashmonitor said:

From toxic reality to a toxic business. The figures rarely stack up for restaurants, too many overheads, too labour intensive. Look how Jamie's done. Make money as a celeb, lose it on a restaurant.

Yes, people have no memory of the past.

It was one of the absolutely standard ways for footballers in the 70s to lose all their money: buy a restaurant in London, brag about, watch it eat your money.

Similarly the arrogant helicopter flying hotel "magnate" who bought The Grosvernor Hotel in Torquay from Mark Jenkins during the third series of The Hotel decided he was going to take it all posh.

He brought in John Burton-Race (went bankrupt in 2009, good form there) to open a restuarant in it, spent a fortune refurbishing it, and so hero worshipped JBR that he actually renamed the hotel after him.

This largesse took the group into administration and two of his hotels were forcibly sold by the administrators.

Restaurants eh? Pie in the Sky.

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2018/01/10/Hotel-group-in-administration-after-revamp-of-John-Burton-Race-Restaurant-with-Rooms

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm surprised they don't end up paying the show to be on...there must be a more or less endless supply of passably attractive 20 somethings wanting their mug on TV. 

Far as I can see, none of these one minute wonders have any thing much going for them than gym honed bodies. No humour, no wit, no intelligence. Not being catty, just trying to explain that I don't find it in the least bit shocking their pay is a little on the low side. 

There do seem to be a lot of suicides in the press lately. Maybe I just have a morbid fascination. Maybe fame is overrated.

"Fame fame, fatal fame

It can play hideous tricks on the brain.

But still I'd rather be famous than righteous or holy

Any day, any day, any day"

Moz.

5 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

I'm surprised they don't end up paying the show to be on...there must be a more or less endless supply of passably attractive 20 somethings wanting their mug on TV. 

Far as I can see, none of these one minute wonders have any thing much going for them than gym honed bodies. No humour, no wit, no intelligence. Not being catty, just trying to explain that I don't find it in the least bit shocking their pay is a little on the low side. 

There however you have the disconnect.  Having been on the show they either decide to drop back into obscurity (and they're really not the type) or put up the fornt of being super successful in the hope of gaining Instagram followers and advertising income to actually make some money.  This guy had been on £200 a week and was "living" this lifestyle; for the cameras anyway.  No wonder he had "debts". 

NINTCHDBPICT0004764997131.jpg?w=960NINTCHDBPICT000422043219-e1552761831259.

At the risk of sounding an absolute wanker I sometimes find it a bit reassuring when someone like that commits suicide. You look at guys like that and they seem to have it all ie good looks, fame and girls growing themselves at him. When they commit suicide it makes you realise their life wasn't all golden.

I think we're all blessed (and cursed) in our own ways.

Must be difficult for them to try and maintain their desired high fashion and celebrity lifestyle with a burger flipping income. Any death like this is tragic but the underlying sickness is society that allows these people to become role models. They are then thrown off the show with no discernible talents and with dwindling fame and have to deal with the crushing blow of having to then earn a crust on the tills at Tesco. I imagine that comedown is enough to knock a lot of people off the edge, as is beginning to show. Young people seem to lap it up though, my sister was entralled by these sorts of shows when she was 16-20.

That's a bit bloody harsh tbh @Great Guy and I won't quote it in case you wiish to edit it.

Katie Price is the prime example IMO.  "Worth" something like £40m at her peak through her books, fashion lines, and TV shows (as in discounted cash flows of her businesses on the assumption that their earnings continued to grow, rather than having £40m in investments) and held up as being a success with her big house, staff, flash cars, and string of horses.

As was always inevitable the fashion cycle turns and younger models replace her.  Her businesses are now worth zip, her house has a big mortgage on it, the staff have gone, and the horses have been eaten sold.

How many people, or in her case women though probably men for the chap above, saw her as the pinnacle of success and it being their dream to emulate her, to be her?  Millions based on her book sales and viewers.

Now it's shown up for the sham it always was and people switch onto the next fashionale Instagram celeb.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was one of the absolutely standard ways for footballers in the 70s to lose all their money: buy a restaurant in London, brag about, watch it eat your money.

Similarly the arrogant helicopter flying hotel "magnate" who bought The Grosvernor Hotel in Torquay from Mark Jenkins during the third series of The Hotel decided he was going to take it all posh.

He brought in John Burton-Race (went bankrupt in 2009, good form there) to open a restuarant in it, spent a fortune refurbishing it, and so hero worshipped JBR that he actually renamed the hotel after him.

This largesse took the group into administration and two of his hotels were forcibly sold by the administrators.

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2018/01/10/Hotel-group-in-administration-after-revamp-of-John-Burton-Race-Restaurant-with-Rooms

If you want to make money from catering, get yourself a beaten up old caravan and start selling burgers from a layby.

11 minutes ago, billfunk said:

There do seem to be a lot of suicides in the press lately. Maybe I just have a morbid fascination. Maybe fame is overrated.

"Fame fame, fatal fame

It can play hideous tricks on the brain.

But still I'd rather be famous than righteous or holy

Any day, any day, any day"

Moz.

I have this little thing in my head that says that it's all invented and in reality they're all off to a celebrity Galt's Gulch where they'll sit out the mess to come, happy that they're denying all the nasty baying public from following the majesty that is their their life.  Perhaps one day they'll realise that, like the Golgafrinchans (and unlike the actual Galt's Gulch), society will cope just fine without them*.

[* and even the telephones will be clean, so society won't collapse through disease]

10 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Must be difficult for them to try and maintain their desired high fashion and celebrity lifestyle with a burger flipping income. Any death like this is tragic but the underlying sickness is society that allows these people to become role models. They are then thrown off the show with no discernible talents and with dwindling fame and have to deal with the crushing blow of having to then earn a crust on the tills at Tesco. I imagine that comedown is enough to knock a lot of people off the edge, as is beginning to show. Young people seem to lap it up though, my sister was entralled by these sorts of shows when she was 16-20.

As we all know, the white male suicide rate in the US has spiked over the last decade or so.

Anglosphere countries seem worse than the rest of the west. Generally stable, rest of west falling.

Though looking into the UK stats, all the fall in suicides here has been due to fewer over 60s killing themselves. The 20-40 age range are killing themselves as much as ever. We don't break down by race like the US, but given the general propensity for whites to kill themselves more than blacks or muslims, i'd guess the UK exhibits a similar trend to the US, given around 25-30% of 20-40 year olds in the UK are now non-white, compared to well under 10% in the 1980s, when the series begun. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_the_United_Kingdom

Drop down last table. 

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's a bit bloody harsh tbh @Great Guy and I won't quote it in case you wiish to edit it.

Katie Price is the prime example IMO.  "Worth" something like £40m at her peak through her books, fashion lines, and TV shows (as in discounted cash flows of her businesses on the assumption that their earnings continued to grow, rather than having £40m in investments) and held up as being a success with her big house, staff, flash cars, and string of horses.

As was always inevitable the fashion cycle turns and younger models replace her.  Her businesses are now worth zip, her house has a big mortgage on it, the staff have gone, and the horses have been eaten sold.

How many people, or in her case women though probably men for the chap above, saw her as the pinnacle of success and it being their dream to emulate her, to be her?  Millions based on her book sales and viewers.

Now it's shown up for the sham it always was and people switch onto the next fashionale Instagram celeb.

Aye. For want of a better description there is always a danger when "chavs" (a.k.a. Michael Carroll the lotto winner), plastics (a.k.a bimbos) or the generally thick make a lot of money too quickly. While most reasonable people would start budgeting and subsequently enjoy a comfortable life over several decades these people succumb to lifestyle inflation (billionaire ambitions) and a lack of comprehension that the income source will be short and sweet. They extrapolate out way beyond where anyone will be interested in them. Katie Price is arguably the best example. She should have a paid for house with a few million in the bank at this stage and falling gracefully out of the limelight. Now she needs to whore herself and her life out to keep thje bailiffs from the door. Instead she has blown money on endless pink cars, horseboxes, scammed out of cash by a series of 20-something sterioid ravaged personal trainers and the rest on staff and cocaine. That sort of stupidity deserves everything you get.

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There are two components of being a professional chef - cooking food and making a profit.

Its why, when given half the chance, any chef who has their head screed down and their ego under control, goes for TV.

Think James Martin and Gordon Ramsey.

21 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Aye. For want of a better description there is always a danger when "chavs" (a.k.a. Michael Carroll the lotto winner), plastics (a.k.a bimbos) or the generally thick make a lot of money too quickly. While most reasonable people would start budgeting and subsequently enjoy a comfortable life over several decades these people succumb to lifestyle inflation (billionaire ambitions) and a lack of comprehension that the income source will be short and sweet. They extrapolate out way beyond where anyone will be interested in them. Katie Price is arguably the best example. She should have a paid for house with a few million in the bank at this stage and falling gracefully out of the limelight. Now she needs to whore herself and her life out to keep thje bailiffs from the door. Instead she has blown money on endless pink cars, horseboxes, scammed out of cash by a series of 20-something sterioid ravaged personal trainers and the rest on staff and cocaine. That sort of stupidity deserves everything you get.

This guy was not making money, far from it.

Even that sperm bank Price was barely making money, despite wha tthe BS her PR spins.

These are just daft kids. In this case, someone with the mind of a ~13yo playing at being famous. The one day the credit card bills pile up.

Youve basically got a modern day Billy Liar - more tan, more teeth, more tits  but with a much sadder ending

1 hour ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6818873/Love-Islands-tragic-Mike-Thalassitis-spiralling-debts-dead-woodland.html

• The 26-year-old was found dead in woods yesterday and his manager confirmed his death
  • His cause of death is not yet known and police are yet to release any information regarding sudden passing
  • The sad news comes just months after one of his best friends, Danny Cutts, passed away in December
  • Thalassitis had previously dating Only Way is Essex star Megan McKenna after being on Celebs Go Dating
  • Reports suggest that he had been grieving the death of his grandmother who recently passed away 
  • Former Love Island star Dom Lever has hit out at show producers for a 'lack of support' after the show
  • Sheridan Smith also tweeted her condolences and said that his death should be a 'wake up call' 
  • It has also emerged that Thalassitis was struggling with debt after overextending with a party lifestyle  
  • Comes after inquest into Love Island contestant Sophie Gradon was 'cancelled over new information' 

Im not fussed either way if people want to arse around on scripted reality TV.

Im watching less n less telly. I dont think Ive intentionally watched scripted reality.

Anyhow, I guess we can assume he hung himslef -'found in woods' is the normal term used.

Bit sad, not just the suicide, the whole lot really.

26, not proper job, doing this wank TV photo -stories stuff for pennies - assumign they aer paid. And 'overextended party lifestyle;e'

What do you suggest he should have done instead, started a thriving career delivering parcels for 14 hour days alongside Piotr? 

Delivered pizzas for Deliveroo?

If you don't have family connections and aren't gifted with intellect you're going to get bumfucked, millennial. If you can earn a career whoring yourself out to the media then why not. 

52 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

At the risk of sounding an absolute wanker I sometimes find it a bit reassuring when someone like that commits suicide. You look at guys like that and they seem to have it all ie good looks, fame and girls growing themselves at him. When they commit suicide it makes you realise their life wasn't all golden.

I think we're all blessed (and cursed) in our own ways.

The problem, it would appear to me, his self esteem was based on external things that are very hard to maintain. i.e. be young, hot and famous.

Well....most famous people lose their fame. And everyone gets older. And everyone who was lucky ever to have looks loses them to an extent.

The very act of whoring yourself out to one of these shows is probably an indicator of some gaping hole in yourself. I fear that this works on a spectrum, with social media feeding the same beast on a smaller level for lots of younger people - pretty 20 something women with their crowds of beta instagram followers. None of it is real. It's not a substitute for being happy with your lot.

I went for a wee ride on my bike this morning. I'm gonna grab some food and coffee and play Half Life 2 for a while. Then I'm gonna clean the flat and go for a walk later probably. None of this is glamorous, but my only regret is not having a person to knock about and do normal things with. I don't need the fleeting adoration of loads of people I don't know; nobody should. I think these people are basically empty inside.

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

What do you suggest he should have done instead, started a thriving career delivering parcels for 14 hour days alongside Piotr? 

Delivered pizzas for Deliveroo?

If you don't have family connections and aren't gifted with intellect you're going to get bumfucked, millennial. If you can earn a career whoring yourself out to the media then why not. 

Stay alive and get a better grasp on reality.

I wonder if being on these shows installs a sense of ability in these people that frankly just doesn't exist and is preyed upon when they are slung back into real life.

Throw in piranah like hangers-on and 'advisors' combined with a lack of nouse and brain power and it's a recipe for disaster really. 

I feel sorry for the bloke but in order to be on these shows or live the TOWIE lifestyle, you need to be a bit damaged in the first place IMO.

1 hour ago, blobloblob said:

If you want to make money from catering, get yourself a beaten up old caravan and start selling burgers from a layby.

I can't think of a quicker way to get yourself kneecapped by the travelling community.

The reality TV game is a bit like professional football, without the years of graft and talent. Thousands fancy a crack at it, a few make a break through, but only a handful actually go on to make serious money.

Imagine being in a youth team with Giggs, only to end up plastering on a building site in Widnes, having to see pictures of him on the back page of The Sun every day. You could appear on one of these shows, and see your peers accelerate through the fame ranks (I'm a Celebrity, Iceland adverts, sat on the This Morning sofa, businesses and brands throwing clothes, cars and holidays at them). 

However even the successful ones live from pay check to pay check. A mates sister is in one of these shows, and although it portrays her as having a millionaires lifestyle, she hasn't actually got a pot to piss in. The show paid her £80k a year which probably barely covered her beauty, clothes, shoes budget. An appearance on daytime TV netted her £10K, but she spent it on a holiday the next morning. Easy come, easy go - they never believe the well will run dry, then suddenly they are 40 with a huge tax bill, debts and an unsustainable lifestyle.