• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Bent Indians v Naive morons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6820095/Ruthless-swindlers-terrorising-10-000-UK-residents-day-threatening-prison.html

Not just UK, US + Oz are getting constantly hammered by these con artists.

Hardly surprising as Indian pop is ~1.4bln.

The only way this will be stopped if all 3 countries withdraw all Indian work permits and ban Indian out sorcerers.

The fact that's never looked into is the info being leaked from UK/US/OZ orgs to scammers.

In this case, the scammers were aware of an ongoing tax issue. I doubt they just got lucky - so few people interact with HMRC.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6820095/Ruthless-swindlers-terrorising-10-000-UK-residents-day-threatening-prison.html

The only way this will be stopped if all 3 countries withdraw all Indian work permits and ban Indian out sorcerers.

The fact that's never looked into is the info being leaked from UK/US/OZ orgs to scammers.

In this case, the scammers were aware of an ongoing tax issue. I doubt they just got lucky - so few people interact with HMRC.

I blame Harry Potter :D

Edited by Snark

On 18/03/2019 at 12:02, spygirl 🏆 said:

Just block all calls from India to the UK.

Just now, sarahbell said:

Harder than it sounds.

All of the call are coming in over the internet, then being transferred to landline on a VOIP platform.

On 18/03/2019 at 12:02, spygirl 🏆 said:

You did see the photos of our politicians attending weddings of Indian billionaires didn't you?

18 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

If I get a cold call from someone with a foreign accent, I immediately think scammer. Sometimes, just hang up, sometimes, I play them along, sometimes I scream every swear word I know Dow the phone at them.  I especially like the third option. :)  especially if I’m busy or the bastards wake me up. 

Massive problem here too:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/national-cra-india-rcmp-scam-1.4883796

I get 5-10 calls a week from these fuckers. They constantly change the number they're calling from so it's really hard to block them too. Mostly I hand up as soon as realise what the call is about but, every now and again, I'll say something like "I recognize your voice, I fucked your mother up the arse whilst you watched didn't I?" - Indians really don't like to have their mothers insulted.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

If I get a cold call from someone with a foreign accent, I immediately think scammer. Sometimes, just hang up, sometimes, I play them along, sometimes I scream every swear word I know Dow the phone at them.  I especially like the third option. :)  especially if I’m busy or the bastards wake me up. 

Exatcly.

Ive told my parents to put down the phone on anyone with a foriegn accent.

I one *once* just a call from a genuine BT account person from India. I hope theyve canned that as a trail as he was very very very lucky I continued after the first 5s.

On 18/03/2019 at 08:02, spygirl 🏆 said:

Agreed, tell them to fix the problem otherwise they can fuck off. Right now, they don't give a shit how many "rich" westerners are getting fleeced, it's just another offshoring industry segment that brings in cash from their perspective.

4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Agreed, tell them to fix the problem otherwise they can fuck off. Right now, they don't give a shit how many "rich" westerners are getting fleeced, it's just another offshoring industry segment that brings in cash from their perspective.

The two are connected.

Bar the random dial thing, where ive seen the sequence of office phones ring - each was an consecutive outside line and I was monitoring the incoming numbers on the ISDN box- Ive heard of  incidents, typically, of a customer reporting a BT fault to India, and then a scam call comes back in the next using a *lot* of internal information on the customer.

2 minutes ago, spygirl 🏆 said:

The two are connected.

Bar the random dial thing, where ive seen the sequence of office phones ring - each was an consecutive outside line and I was monitoring the incoming numbers on the ISDN box- Ive heard of  incidents, typically, of a customer reporting a BT fault to India, and then a scam call comes back in the next using a *lot* of internal information on the customer.

Doesn't surprise me. I've avoided using companies that have offshore call centres since a really bad experience with Norwich Union back in the 90s. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, One percent said:

I have google translate on standby on speaker to make obscene suggestions in Hindi. Urdu and Gujurati isn't available on audio yet.

Edited by Happy Renting

16 minutes ago, Byron said:

All the ones I get are claiming to be from Talktalk, they are recordings which as k you to press 1 to speak to a technician.

A lot of these scams ask you to press something..   what does that do ?

Trigger some kind of premium charging mechanism or just put you through to the next level of the scam ?

1 hour ago, Byron said:

All the ones I get are claiming to be from Talktalk, they are recordings which as k you to press 1 to speak to a technician.

Never, ever, have anything to do with TalkTalk. Appalling company to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Never, ever, have anything to do with TalkTalk. Appalling company to deal with.

Ah youve fallen for that scam - that TalkTalk is  an actual functioning company.

What puzzles me is how they get the numbers. You'd think they use random number generators, but there must be more to it than that because my elderly mother gets these calls very often, yet in over two years of having my landline at my own house I have never received a single scam call. My guess is there are very big lists of hot leads being sold around India.

The only thing to do if you have elderly relations plagued with this is to get BT Call Protect or a similar call-blocker. Every time the user gets a scam call, they can press a button to report it so that it gets added to a blacklist. This dramatically cut down the problem for my mother, calls went from about 12 a day to just one or two.

If it gets really bad you can create a 'whitelist' of all the numbers that you want to be allowed through to the phone. Everyone else gets put through to a messaging service. Alternatively you can do this yourself by using an answerphone with a message saying 'Please leave a message. Unsolicited commercial messages will be deleted'. Then just pick up if you know the voice coming through the answerphone, otherwise leave it.

I am outside of the silly jurisdiction of political correctness, yet still get those “financial advice” calls.

This allows me to be passive aggressive is a somewhat racist manner to the fools. I hope it may deter them. And I can’t be arrested.

Win win.

26 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

What puzzles me is how they get the numbers. You'd think they use random number generators, but there must be more to it than that because my elderly mother gets these calls very often, yet in over two years of having my landline at my own house I have never received a single scam call. My guess is there are very big lists of hot leads being sold around India.

The only thing to do if you have elderly relations plagued with this is to get BT Call Protect or a similar call-blocker. Every time the user gets a scam call, they can press a button to report it so that it gets added to a blacklist. This dramatically cut down the problem for my mother, calls went from about 12 a day to just one or two.

If it gets really bad you can create a 'whitelist' of all the numbers that you want to be allowed through to the phone. Everyone else gets put through to a messaging service. Alternatively you can do this yourself by using an answerphone with a message saying 'Please leave a message. Unsolicited commercial messages will be deleted'. Then just pick up if you know the voice coming through the answerphone, otherwise leave it.

Theres two sort.

One, are buying names and phones numbers in bulk - there are 3rd parties who mine hat info and sell it, legally, to people who then phone you, illegally.

Two, they get the numbers and some private info from their mates in outsourcing firms.