• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Prescriptions you won't be able to get any more

No photo description available.

I'm wondering how many issues in the list above will actually be symptoms of something much more serious needing investigation?

To be fair, it's mostly irrelevant as doctors appointments round here are shockingly slim on the ground.

Posted (edited)

Something has got to give - more people with type diabetes 2 from obesity etc that need on going drugs. This will mean stuff that can be treated over the counter, you'll need to buy yourself.

Edited by 201p

Posted (edited)

It is irrelevant for 'normal people', because for most of the stuff on the list either you, the gp or the pharmacist will say 'it'll be cheaper to just buy that yourself', so the prescription won't exist or be put through the system.

Oh, sorry, forgot.  Normal people with jobs who pay taxes but don't get free stuff are in the minority.  

So, this is basically saying that it is ridiculous for people who get free stuff to get more free stuff that they should really just be buying themselves .  Sounds reasonable to me.

[eds -- it isn't reasonable.  It is absolutely horrific that this is what the system has become.  And this sort of action will only sort out a tiny fraction of the abuse to the system that has somehow built up over the decades]

Edited by dgul

Posted (edited)

What sort of treatment is available for Excessive Swearing? A bar of soap?

Edit: oh it’s sweating - where are my glasses?

Edited by Wheeler

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I'm wondering how many issues in the list above will actually be symptoms of something much more serious needing investigation?

To be fair, it's mostly irrelevant as doctors appointments round here are shockingly slim on the ground.

Some of those could be indications of something quite serious

However, because of the way Drs diagnose, you are at no advantage with an initial appointment.

For example, attend a GP at age 45 with indigestion and you'll get told to come back in 2 weeks and then, when you return you might get given Gaviscon or Omeprazole as a first course, only when that hasn't made a difference might you get further investigation - by then, your cancer has progressed

You really might as well go to the supermarket and die.

Edited by Hopeful

5 hours ago, dgul said:

It is irrelevant for 'normal people', because for most of the stuff on the list either you, the gp or the pharmacist will say 'it'll be cheaper to just buy that yourself', so the prescription won't exist or be put through the system.

Oh, sorry, forgot.  Normal people with jobs who pay taxes but don't get free stuff are in the minority.  

Yes it was 8 quid something last time we went for a prescription. 
Husband gets GP to put several months worth on one script to save a few quid. They've reduced it from 6 months to 3 though. I think he should insist on seeing a GP to argue the toss about it but getting an appointment is a bit shit.

(I think there are 12000 people at my doctors and about 3 Gps)

6 hours ago, Wheeler said:

What sort of treatment is available for Excessive Swearing? A bar of soap?

Edit: oh it’s sweating - where are my glasses?

On your fucking table, you shit-faced arsehole.

Er... Nurse!

11 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I agree with most of these, but if patients are discouraged from seeing a doctor, early stages of some diseases may be missed. The outcome may be more expensive.

Heartburn? Then Gastric reflux? Oesophagitis? Precursor to cancer of the oesophagus...

Haemorroids? Then Anal fistula? Peritonitis and septiciemia?

Sore throat? Then oral cancer?

2 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I agree with most of these, but if patients are discouraged from seeing a doctor, early stages of some diseases may be missed. The outcome may be more expensive.

Heartburn? Then Gastric reflux? Oesophagitis? Precursor to cancer of the oesophagus...

They appear to be relying on the pharmacist to spot this going by the poster. The reality will be hoping the spotty teenager behind the counter at Boots knows how to use Dr Google. To be honest you are best off doing your own research - I've had crap advice recently from a Dr, googled it and ended up being referred because I'd correctly identified a symptom that needed further investigation.

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

They appear to be relying on the pharmacist to spot this going by the poster. The reality will be hoping the spotty teenager behind the counter at Boots knows how to use Dr Google. To be honest you are best off doing your own research - I've had crap advice recently from a Dr, googled it and ended up being referred because I'd correctly identified a symptom that needed further investigation.

Yeah, I am sure people are going to stand at a pharmacy counter discussing their haemorroids

11 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Yeah, I am sure people are going to stand at a pharmacy counter discussing their haemorroids

That's why I rely on the Mayo clinic website!

8 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, IMO, a large number of the uk population seem to be incapable of taking responsibility for their own health and they have no ability to research anything other than trivia.

I have a distrust of doctors and the same will apply to pharmacists. Both professions are feathering their own nests in the NHS. Occasionally one may cross the path of a decent and moral one though.

13 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Funnily enough I bought some harmorroid cream off the shelf in Tesco's today. I paid at the automatic checkout and didn't speak to anybody.

xD

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

Funnily enough I bought some harmorroid cream off the shelf in Tesco's today. I paid at the automatic checkout and didn't speak to anybody.

xD

Yeah but if you paid by card "they" know you've purchased pile cream.

29 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Right Job’s comforter you are. o.O

6 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, IMO, a large number of the uk population seem to be incapable of taking responsibility for their own health and they have no ability to research anything other than trivia.

I have a distrust of doctors and the same will apply to pharmacists. Both professions are feathering their own nests in the NHS. Occasionally one may cross the path of a decent and moral one though.

Every time I research anything health related, I come away thinking I’m going to die within the week. o.O

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Every time I research anything health related, I come away thinking I’m going to die within the week. o.O

I find that the older I get the less dying bothers me. However how it happens continues to be worrisome, e.g ...I wouldn’t want to end up as a dementia patient in a care home.

Also my experience over the years has been that anything that isn’t life threatening clears up itself or with sensible adjustments to food/exercise etc. I’m just lucky so far that I haven’t researched and found out that I have an illness that will possibly finish me off.

44 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

You're a bundle of joy!

Even if you do have a point.

I've been Doctor's once in 4 years (summoned for a healthcheck) -  more like a lecture.

This time on back sore throat/ear blocked. Saw nurse who took opportunity to BP, pulse me... Any tonsillitis and was. Prescription £8.90 per item!! Though drops sold over counter. First antibiotics in a long, long time. As a man tend to think my body will look after itself, however... one day it may not!

Posted (edited)

Question. As I have now moved, can I remove myself from my old gp list without registering with a new one? I don't like the buggers getting money for nothing.

Edited by Wight Flight

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Question. As I have now moved, can I remove myself from my old gp list without registering with a new one? I don't like the buggers getting money for nothing.

It is easier to register with a new one so they can transfer your data. Otherwise old one will have to hold on to your medical records.