• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

And we can’t even win this competition. Quick, import more people

Methodology:

The survey compares the cost of common items, such as bread, in 133 cities.

It then tracks whether prices have gone up or down by comparing them to the cost of living in New York, which is used as a benchmark.

But this approach just makes a list of relative expense of city for people earning a wage in New York.  Surely the only way to judge costs is to compare against average local incomes.  Their approach essentially only identifies 'expense of city relative to weird international earning people'.  Hence you end up with weird effects, such as Caracas being the cheapest city in the world, despite no-one there being able to actually afford anything much.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Methodology:

But this approach just makes a list of relative expense of city for people earning a wage in New York.  Surely the only way to judge costs is to compare against average local incomes.  Their approach essentially only identifies 'expense of city relative to weird international earning people'.  Hence you end up with weird effects, such as Caracas being the cheapest city in the world, despite no-one there being able to actually afford anything much.

Paris is really expensive in anyone's terms.  I was on a work evening out there a couple of weeks back, in a fairly posh area, glanced in an estate agents window and was stunned at the prices. They've risen by a factor of about 15-20, I'd estimate, from the time when the Euro started. Similar prices to Geneva (which means to say already extortionate) but local wages are about half.

The comments on that BBC article are interesting. Quite a lot of mickey taking especially about the French, and a lot of pro-Brexit stuff. There's also a type of post I've seen a lot of lately, a sort of resigned, tired, almost exasperated post by leftie highbrow types who realise that things aren't going their way anymore and that their kneejerk responses (racist, nazi, gammon etc) just get laughed at.

Bbc's rankings table might be useful if you're rich but doesn't really seem to apply if you're on averge earnings

Taking into account average earnings and local purchasing power and just looking at the top 4 in bbc's published ranking and using the web site numbeo then London seems to be much more expensive than Singapore and Zurich but marginally cheaper than Paris and Hong Kong.

Local Purchasing Power in London is 48.58% lower than in Zurich

Local Purchasing Power in London is 25.21% lower than in Singapore

Local Purchasing Power in London is 5.31% higher than in Hong Kong

Local Purchasing Power in London is 1.59% higher than in Paris

and on the same basis purchasing power seems to be much better in New York than in London

Edited by twocents

20 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Paris is really expensive in anyone's terms.  I was on a work evening out there a couple of weeks back, in a fairly posh area, glanced in an estate agents window and was stunned at the prices. They've risen by a factor of about 15-20, I'd estimate, from the time when the Euro started. Similar prices to Geneva (which means to say already extortionate) but local wages are about half.

More like a third, at least in IT. Then the French govt takes what's left away in tax. I wouldn't earn any more in Paris and I take home around 2.2k/month, in GVA I took home 8K /month.

A pint of beer was 10 euros in a normal bar, not some tourist trap. (not that I drink beer).

Food wasn't too bad. A bit pricey in supermarkets but maybe only 30% more than in the provinces.

Paris has wall to wall migrants. GVA has lakes and mountains.

In a word, Paris is Inseine!

Time for a UK metropolitan tax.  That'll bump London up the table and compensate the rest of us for their myopic mutterings.

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Dave Bloke said:

More like a third, at least in IT. Then the French govt takes what's left away in tax. I wouldn't earn any more in Paris and I take home around 2.2k/month, in GVA I took home 8K /month.

A pint of beer was 10 euros in a normal bar, not some tourist trap. (not that I drink beer).

Food wasn't too bad. A bit pricey in supermarkets but maybe only 30% more than in the provinces.

Paris has wall to wall migrants. GVA has lakes and mountains.

In a word, Paris is Inseine!

Yes, I have a colleague who was seconded to Geneva for a couple of years, she couldn't wait to get back to Paris. Takes all sorts. 

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yes, I have a colleague who was seconded to Geneva for a couple of years, she couldn't wait to get back to Paris. Takes all sorts. 

Geneva is a bit rural. I can see that. Oh and Swiss cooking. Never again!

I was in Paris all last week. Very busy and noisy.

Edited by Dave Bloke

6 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

The comments on that BBC article are interesting. Quite a lot of mickey taking especially about the French, and a lot of pro-Brexit stuff. There's also a type of post I've seen a lot of lately, a sort of resigned, tired, almost exasperated post by leftie highbrow types who realise that things aren't going their way anymore and that their kneejerk responses (racist, nazi, gammon etc) just get laughed at.

Aye, the Have Your Say (HYS) on London demographics was revealing the other day too. Top rated comments all referring to the suspicious absence of the term "white flight" when describing the recent sea change in demographics, everything but the obvious mooted, good old BEEB. When the comments are like that on the So-Called BBC you get a sense of the mood of the nation. "Diversity" and white flight go hand in hand, who'd have thought? Had to laugh at some chap (BAME community member) on LBC blaming the London stabbing figures on colonialism...the cognitive dissonance of these people doesn't fool the rest.

59 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Had to laugh at some chap (BAME community member) on LBC blaming the London stabbing figures on colonialism...the cognitive dissonance of these people doesn't fool the rest.

When you think about it though, he's correct (but for the wrong reason).

Dearest tabs in the world might be another one.

I've smoked rollies for nearly 25 years - but a couple of years ago, I really got the urge to buy 10 Regal.

Not the king-size ones mind - but the original and bestest tabs I've ever smoked...! ;)

I had about three quid in my pocket, and asked the lass behind the counter in the Co-op for 10 Regal.

She scanned them into the till, and said "five pound fifteen".

I shat my pants right there - mumbled some excuse, and left the shop.

Twenty-six pence or so when I bought my first pack sometime around 1977/78.

Rip-off Britain indeed...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Dearest tabs in the world might be another one.

I've smoked rollies for nearly 25 years - but a couple of years ago, I really got the urge to buy 10 Regal.

Not the king-size ones mind - but the original and bestest tabs I've ever smoked...! ;)

I had about three quid in my pocket, and asked the lass behind the counter in the Co-op for 10 Regal.

She scanned them into the till, and said "five pound fifteen".

I shat my pants right there - mumbled some excuse, and left the shop.

Twenty-six pence or so when I bought my first pack sometime around 1977/78.

Rip-off Britain indeed...

;)

XYY

back in the day the tobacconists would split a pack, ideal for hard up primary school kids

14 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

back in the day the tobacconists would split a pack, ideal for hard up primary school kids

:)

The shop at the top of our street in the late 70s did exactly that Dave.

It was around a tanner to 3 new pence a tab depending on what unsold stock he was splitting-open that week.

First time I tried Embassy Envoy was as a "loosie" from that shop...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I was in Olso last week..  $30 for a burger and $15 for a small beer.

No idea how that didn't make it onto the list !

I had the most expensive curry of my live in Oslo - eating out there is insanely pricey. 

47 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

It was around a tanner to 3 new pence a tab depending on what unsold stock he was splitting-open that week.

;)

XYY

My lazy Aunty sent me to the post office 100yards down the road after primary school, to buy 20 Players Number 6.  I never realised fags had an age restriction on them.

Loosies were called singles where I'm from. You always received one England's  Glory match with your purchase. As youngsters we got quite skilled at lighting fags in all weather conditions.

20 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

;)

XYY

ah happy days